Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2017/18

J10
Message added by Paul

Latest snow reports and mountain forecasts
Check out the Netweather ski and snowboard pages for the latest weather forecasts and snow reports virtually every ski resort in the world.

Julian's (J10) Alps Blog
Follow Julian's blogs through the season for his weekly update on the conditions and upcoming forecast for the Alps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
7 hours ago, J10 said:

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8783-further-snow-for-the-alps-but-initially-restricted-to-the-highest-slopes

Further snow this week, very much restricted to the highest slopes to start but to lower levels later.

I also see a risk of flooding for parts of North Italy as well unfortunately.

Thanks as always for your weekly blog Julian. I'm writing this post on Friday night from my hotel room in Chalon-sur-Saône, en-route to Val Cenis in the French Alps. The car was reading +15C at one stage on the way down this pm, so certainly mild air over France. Your blog makes uncomfortable reading for the start of the week and not what I was hoping for. But let's see what actually unfolds this coming week - hopefully (wifi willing) I'll be able to let you know and post a few pics too. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Thanks as always for your weekly blog Julian. I'm writing this post on Friday night from my hotel room in Chalon-sur-Saône, en-route to Val Cenis in the French Alps. The car was reading +15C at one stage on the way down this pm, so certainly mild air over France. Your blog makes uncomfortable reading for the start of the week and not what I was hoping for. But let's see what actually unfolds this coming week - hopefully (wifi willing) I'll be able to let you know and post a few pics too. :)

i will hold you to those pics. Have a good one.

• Thanks 1

Posted

A quick first report from Val Cenis in the French Alps. Day 1 and spent my first morning visiting the medical centre and pharmacy to sort out an infection in my wisdom tooth! Not a lot of skiing done and struggling to eat food other than soups and ice-cream. :angry: Day 2 (Monday) and feeling better. There are bands of heavy snow showers moving through with the temp around +1C in the village. Avalanche cannons going off this morning. Setting off for the higher pistes in a mo as there's a clear slot coming through on the radar.

A couple of pics, one of the higher village with the moon lighting up the mountains behind. Second of the heavy snow this morning.

5aa6537d3f849_VCSun11Mar2018.thumb.jpg.8d58f8f87ea6414e1b6e772f7bb5680b.jpg5aa6539271ed1_VCMon12Mar2018.thumb.jpg.b98107ee720a77c8ba12598b4fca9aff.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Finally, after three days of on/off snowfall and poor visibility, yesterday (Weds) was wall-to-wall sunshine. With the temp down at resort level (1,450m) not getting above +1C so far this week, there's some top-notch skiing to be had at all levels of the mountain.

The forecasts for a snowy Thurs have been showing in the models for a good week now and the snow has duly arrived this morning as we sit having breakfast. The forecast suggests 23cms at mid-mountain (2,100m). So it's looking like another scratchy day for skiing today, with poor visibility and snow-covered goggles making it very difficult.

Some pics from yesterday. The first couple show the view from our balcony and the sun coming up over the nursery slopes. The rest from various high pistes. The last is the menu from the mountain restaurant - fantastic value!! Oh, and a half litre carafe of excellent Corbiere to wash it down is only 4.80 euros!!

5aaa481cc5481_VCWedBalcony.thumb.jpg.ad168aa7db0db7f4ae41fac63ddbd9cb.jpg5aaa4839ee0ed_VCWedseven.thumb.jpg.5f96be32071186160f5524cab877da9f.jpg5aaa48648686d_VCWedtwo.thumb.jpg.6403d00c3c31cfb26ee7cd69af9afa66.jpg5aaa487a7e850_VCWedthree.thumb.jpg.8a8453d25c113e344a488ff40d96e7e5.jpg5aaa48b80725d_VCWedfour.thumb.jpg.1436e437d0c6013f18abb4c11fc149f7.jpg5aaa48fa91ee2_VCWedsix.thumb.jpg.f6c3f71f6de827a86d30a3e39f00caa0.jpg5aaa4917c1249_VCWedeight.thumb.jpg.882631667acc2b1122c862e83c52c666.jpg5aaa494a2ddb0_VCWedfive.thumb.jpg.47887b8f68bd97b17f379348ba946073.jpg5aaa496b7fe97_VCWedone.thumb.jpg.f6cc37b197ff1cfa1afad7bfcda0a45c.jpg

• Like 4

Love photos there Malcolm.

Horrible looking ski lift accident in Georgia today, luckily no terrible injuries.

What sort of safety systems should be in place to stop this happening and has anyone here been in a scary ski lift situation.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Great last day skiing in sunshine, but with the clouds this afternoon making for some lovely photos as they cast their shadow over the mountains. On a more serious note, an avalanche occurred this afternoon just above a red run with six people rescued safely thank goodness. 

5aac02a298fda_VCFrithree.thumb.jpg.3fd6d6ec3c59614f6bcff57205341b8c.jpg5aac02c5ef8d2_VCFrione.thumb.jpg.8e8125b57c498fd4f61e4155c74da0c5.jpg5aac02eb87b99_VCFritwo.thumb.jpg.f636ba71e2a8e1fe50816973c103042f.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Lovely pictures Malcolm, I'm glad you got a couple of good skiing days in. I'm not familiar with Val Cenis, but it looks like the skiing is above the tree line there, it makes me want squeeze in one last trip this year. Will the snow hold out until April for a sneaky long weekend I wonder!

Thanks for your weather charts for Andorra. We did have a good trip, and only two days where the skiing was challenging, with snow all day, high winds and low visibility. I had quite a fall on day four which knocked my new found confidence a bit, but despite it looking quite dramatic, no harm done, mostly due to the depth of snow on the pistes, although that run might not have actually been a piste, hard to tell in a snowstorm!

It was quite interesting to have rain at resort level and watching it turn to snow at we ascended on the chairlift. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
2 hours ago, J10 said:

Horrible looking ski lift accident in Georgia today, luckily no terrible injuries.

What sort of safety systems should be in place to stop this happening and has anyone here been in a scary ski lift situation.

I have never been Skiing so lacking knowledge, but do chairlifts have emergency shutdown capabilities? If not perhaps a system like an emergency exit where glass has to be broken to gain access to shutdown lever/button. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 hours ago, J10 said:

Yes,a terrible accident there and lucky there was no fatalities.

Posted

^ OMG! The Georgia incident seems almost unbelievable and I have to say there is something suspicious about what happened. The lift was manufactured and installed by the highly reputable Doppelmayr/Garaventa group (Austrian/Swiss) with its HQ in Wolfurt, Austria. Anyone who skis in the Alps would have ridden on one of their chairlifts, cable cars or gondolas. We've all seen the 'emergency stop' red button that the operating staff use to immediately stop a lift. They are very safe and in all my years of skiing I've never heard of a similar incident.

Reading the reports in the press, this lift had been closed all week for 'repairs' before re-opening that day. It will be interesting to know who carried out these 'repairs'. The State of Georgia has launched a criminal investigation, but I doubt whether we will get to hear about the outcome of this. Doppelmayr have declined to comment so far - this is probably because they have yet to complete their own investigation into into what happened. I'll try and remember to look into this incident again in a month or two to see if Doppelmayr have commented by then. 

Edited by Blessed Weather
Typo
  • Like 2

Hello all

Recently back from Levi in Finland. Trying to upload some pics but not having much success. Will keep trying.

Large amounts of snow and temps ranging from -5 to -27. Nice compact place. Overall would recommend if you like a variety of winter activities. Skiing is fine, if not extensive, on the fell but if you add the magnificent cross country tracks, snowmobiling, reindeer sledging, a night in a glass igloo watching the Northern lights, a visit to the snow hotel/village, snowshoeing and some fantastic walking across frozen lakes and through thick forests it is a great all round winter holiday experience.

Nice village, alpine style, with a range of bars- Kota with its sofas, 80s music, along with some modern rock and metal, plus warming, help yourself, soups, salad and coffee for 10 euros being a typical example. A number of classy Finnish restaurants are complimented by steak houses and the popular Colorado which is cool for a beer by the slopes and burgers, ribs etc later.

A 3 hour flight from the Uk and just 20 minute transfer from the airport.

Worth a visit for any winter enthusiast but the downhill slopes won’t be extensive enough if you love black runs or go just for the skiing!

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, Betleyblizud said:

Ahh- sorted it! Some pics from Levi

Wonderful photos and a great looking resort!! :)

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Betleyblizud said:

Ahh- sorted it! Some pics from Levi

3B4F80A2-6293-4A4A-B682-E3E3336A783C.jpeg

09756B24-F0E1-4602-9A10-1801BDEA56DB.jpeg

1E3205D3-0E11-44F0-AE75-F18D94D869C5.jpeg

FC4191BD-88BA-4FBE-91C5-FC6AAFF2AE06.jpeg

37BA79BF-28D0-4637-8CE5-15D712420B6F.jpeg

62606708-38F6-4B26-9AF5-3CCD4D7E7A63.jpeg

Lovely photos and a great write-up from you, very helpful. I think I'll add that one to my 'must visit' list, which is already quite long....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

What a fantastic spring morning. This is going to rate as a vintage ski season and so it continues right into Easter. Jazz and lunch on the mountain hut today. Perfect.

C

29064084_10156377835583628_4682347079718683996_o.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
7 hours ago, carinthian said:

What a fantastic spring morning. This is going to rate as a vintage ski season and so it continues right into Easter. Jazz and lunch on the mountain hut today. Perfect.

C

Well there we have it. Only in Austria you get a live band playing jazz on the mountain. Also you can still have a smoke without getting a frown from the mother earth flappers ! Yes, believe it or not they have voted to allow smoking to continue in bars and restaurants with the consent of the bar owner but many have no smoking sections or free of smoking areas in restaurants these days. Basically , a freedom of choice as to where you want to drink and eat to be surrounded by smokers or not. Smokers will thank the Freedom Party in Austria for this policy which is very strong in these parts of Austria. Well its been a vintage season and have skied some wonderful places. My first visit to Italy and the wonderful run 9b ( Narnia ) from Corvara to San Cassiano was a highlight through the amazing back drop scenery of the Dolomites. Skied Rauris back country runs and the Gargellen to Kloisters pass over the Madrisa Mountain linking Austra to Switzerland. Found a little gem of a resort called Zauchensee not far from Katschberg and is a real ski paradise with lots of long blues right into the heart of the ski/in out village and only 40 miles from Salzburg Airport, check it out . 

12241253_1116376528393640_9153932255363774445_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Incredible video of an avalanche hitting a car park at Mt Elbrus, Russia.

As I hadn't heard of this mountain I had a little dig around and found the following. No skiing, but a magnet for climbers and unfortunately attempts claim between 15 - 30 deaths each year. A cable car system completed in 1976 goes up to 3,658m.

Mount Elbrus isn’t technically a mountain — it is an inactive volcano located in the western Caucasus mountain range, near the Georgian border in Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachay–Cherkessia, Russia.

With an elevation of 18,510 feet (5,642 meters), it is part of the Caucasus Range that straddles Asia and Europe, although most geographers place it in Europe. This makes it the tallest mountain in Europe and one of the Seven Summits, the highest mountains in each of the continents and elite climbers aspire to summit all of them.

Mount Elbrus gets the title of highest in Europe. Another, perhaps better known, peak is Mont Blanc. It is the highest mountain in the Alps and the European Union. Its elevation is 15,781 feet (4,810 m) above sea level.

5ab8a5efca2ad_MtElbrus.thumb.jpg.ee53b88417eb99c03b3cc76ee2e5977a.jpg

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 3

Posted
15 hours ago, carinthian said:

Well there we have it. Only in Austria you get a live band playing jazz on the mountain. Also you can still have a smoke without getting a frown from the mother earth flappers ! Yes, believe it or not they have voted to allow smoking to continue in bars and restaurants with the consent of the bar owner but many have no smoking sections or free of smoking areas in restaurants these days. Basically , a freedom of choice as to where you want to drink and eat to be surrounded by smokers or not. Smokers will thank the Freedom Party in Austria for this policy which is very strong in these parts of Austria. Well its been a vintage season and have skied some wonderful places. My first visit to Italy and the wonderful run 9b ( Narnia ) from Corvara to San Cassiano was a highlight through the amazing back drop scenery of the Dolomites. Skied Rauris back country runs and the Gargellen to Kloisters pass over the Madrisa Mountain linking Austra to Switzerland. Found a little gem of a resort called Zauchensee not far from Katschberg and is a real ski paradise with lots of long blues right into the heart of the ski/in out village and only 40 miles from Salzburg Airport, check it out . 

12241253_1116376528393640_9153932255363774445_n.jpg

This fantastic season goes on and on. Hows this to start a new week ! Monday morning on the Katschberg.

C

29595442_10156380518808628_4827437580856558942_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Pretty good season for the Scottish ski resorts too. Looks like some lovely skiing to be had there this weekend, with a forecast of a mainly dry and temps just above freezing, although the easterly breeze might make it feel a bit chilly!

Glencoe 5abd05a5a06e5_Glencoe29Mar2018.thumb.jpg.dc01d57f1dbf1078b7e0ccdeafdae401.jpg Nevis Range 5abd05b70d47a_NevisRange29Mar2018.thumb.jpg.e86309ac3150aacd496c9e254f8fcb6a.jpg

• Like 4