Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
1 hour ago, steveinsussex said:

But the ssw reaction wouldn’t yet be showing in the models. It’s going to take at least 14 days or so to show

if it doesn’t propagate then yes, the initial downwelling could take a couple weeks but the ec op and gfs zonal flow charts are showing the reverse flow getting down to the trop within a week or so . No certainty how far south that will get. The very end of the gfs 12z run shows a further reversal wave headed down through the upper strat .... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

There’s  definitely a trend today to re amplify the pattern over are neck of the woods around day 8 . ECM, JMA , ICON and GFS // all on the same page . 

802EB9BE-642D-4A31-9577-7624C8905E63.png

E8DE4A3F-BEC2-4057-9E76-28FBC4387D13.png

323B749D-5FBF-44C3-B555-0E37C759A10D.png

6364F961-1485-43BB-9091-2CA5A1D2B0BA.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Well, this is still 00z... but still...

spacer.png

Posted
7 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Right, time for my most sobering report on the ECM individual ensembles to date 

I looked through all 51 ensembles for T360, and there was next to nothing wintry. Either a line of lows through the Atlantic aimed at the UK, or a line of high pressure from the Azores through southern Europe keeping us in westerlies. 

Just a few breakaway north Atlantic highs but not particularly impressive attempts.

Has the SSW actually broke winter, or was this coming anyway? Or will we get a massive surprise?

Maybe the clusters are a day behind and haven't factored in the SSW reversal yet....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Right, time for my most sobering report on the ECM individual ensembles to date 

I looked through all 51 ensembles for T360, and there was next to nothing wintry. Either a line of lows through the Atlantic aimed at the UK, or a line of high pressure from the Azores through southern Europe keeping us in westerlies. 

Just a few breakaway north Atlantic highs but not particularly impressive attempts.

Has the SSW actually broke winter, or was this coming anyway? Or will we get a massive surprise?

Maybe just maybe it will be one of the biggest snowlercoasters of all time. Let's hope the SSW (stupid sodin weather) helps rather than hinders. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I have to say i have never ever seen an Easterly pop up at short notice on ops without any ensemble signposting of it in all my years, so not sure why it would happen now although to be fair we have seen some members already shown one but not enough yet, not enough showing a potent one anyway.

100% true. Look back any almost any easterly and I bet you'll find a sniff of an easterly on the D10 ECM mean chart. I challenge anyone to find one that showed westerlies at D10.

Edit - ok I had a quick look and found some that did. I take it back

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 8

Posted

In the short term, further cold conditions through rest of the week and into the weekend, hard frosts in places especially tonight and tomorrow, chance of further snow in the north Thursday.

Models continue to show a change this weekend, we cut off the colder flow as heights sink and sit in situ to our SW, a less colder flow off the atlantic but we are not talking anything especially mild. There are then indications heights want to build to the north, lower heights digging down to our east eventually and the heights to our SW probably amplifying again through the UK. GFS longer term shows a west-based NAO scenario with strong Greenland heights but low pressure to our SW, and the UK at the margins between cold and much milder atlantic air.

ECM has raised an eyebrow it shows high pressure ballooning through the UK and with a deep cold trough moving down through Eastern Europe a shot of cold easterlies would most likely then verify followed by heights retrogressing to Greenland and we and then exposed to a very cold NE flow. That's how I would see the next couple of frames going if they went out that far.

I suspect the models are struggling to get to grips with developments in the Stratosphere at present and modelled arctic heights, so not surprised to see large variance in the longer range. What is a common theme is no suggestion of low heights setting up shop to our NW anytime soon.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Easterlies are normally led by the operational runs . The ensembles only move on mass nearer the time .

Thats my experience from that type of set up. The lower resolution ensembles often find problems with plotting the associated cut back sw of the jet into the Low Countries .

This will also be more of an issue for the GFS as its past performance with easterlies tends to be last to that jet cutback .

Also once any easterly if it does count down when this comes into the day 6 range the UKMO needs to be onside .

That in the past has dealt the fatal blow to an easterly .

It’s encouraging to see some better solutions showing up , the ECM op though does need a bit more amplitude day 9 and 10 but it’s a start .

Lets hope this can evolve even more favourably over the next few days.

With that likely deep cold pool setting up to the east and ne , it looks tantalizing and might finally allow me to give a green light to my crunchy snow and ice day alert system if things could fall nicely ! 

Not in 2013 nick according to snowmans brilliant post above. 

Anyone want to do a 2018 ten day and 5 day? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

100% true. Look back any almost any easterly and I bet you'll find a sniff of an easterly on the D10 ECM mean chart. I challenge anyone to find one that showed westerlies at D10.

Can't 100% vouch for that but no reason to disbelieve you, but what you will nearly always see when an Easterly does verify, is at least a few members even in the 336-384 range, i would go as far as to say if on the GEFS, it gets to 240 and less than 5 are showing it, forget it, and once you get to 192, if its going to be a potent Easterly you need a majority cluster outright flatlining around -10 or below, by majority i mean 51%, not a small cluster with loads of other even smaller ones, also the Easterlies that ticked down like clockwork (2018 an example), were showing an Easterly on both the eps and GEFS mean at around 240, not necessarily every single run of every single day but enough to suggest evidence was overwhelming. The only one i remember being a bit flaky was the Ian Brown 2013 moment, but there were still plenty of individual members showing it, plus that was not really what i class as a rip roaring E'ly, more battleground setups that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Easterlies are normally led by the operational runs . The ensembles only move on mass nearer the time .

Thats my experience from that type of set up. The lower resolution ensembles often find problems with plotting the associated cut back sw of the jet into the Low Countries .

This will also be more of an issue for the GFS as its past performance with easterlies tends to be last to that jet cutback .

Also once any easterly if it does count down when this comes into the day 6 range the UKMO needs to be onside .

That in the past has dealt the fatal blow to an easterly .

It’s encouraging to see some better solutions showing up , the ECM op though does need a bit more amplitude day 9 and 10 but it’s a start .

Lets hope this can evolve even more favourably over the next few days.

With that likely deep cold pool setting up to the east and ne , it looks tantalizing and might finally allow me to give a green light to my crunchy snow and ice day alert system if things could fall nicely ! 

Exactly, operationals always always lead the ensembles with these pop up easterlys. First you see a few stragglers and then a couple of runs later the entire suite shifts.

• Like 6

Posted
17 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

6 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Not in 2013 nick according to snowmans brilliant post above. 

Anyone want to do a 2018 ten day and 5 day? 

I just did - the ens were on it at day 10 ....... I think tomorrow is v important if we are going to see any wintry consequence from the SSW before the 20th 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Exactly, operationals always always lead the ensembles with these pop up easterlys. First you see a few stragglers and then a couple of runs later the entire suite shifts.

TEITS would also go on about this. Always say that OPs lead the way and ensembles would follow.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

We have high pressure slap bang over the Azores at 144-168h. Strangy enough this is quite a common pre-SSW response pattern. 

archives-2018-2-19-0-0.png

archives-2013-1-6-0-0.png

Quite a few examples I think of cold spells developing from azores high, a sudden amplification takes place, cold air advection on east side, warm air advection west side. I remember we saw a transferal of azores high through UK around 9-10 Dec 2009. A sudden shift usually indicates a major change.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

image.thumb.png.ae4bf527e99517da5ecfcd3da3ef5dfb.png

That was hardly a pop up E'ly though Nick...it was signposted for weeks, it was a jugonaut.

I'm on about instances that sit on a knife edge e.g instances where any drop in the zonal flow can tip the balance towards Scandi blocking...

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
13 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Hemispheric patterns are something to watch for...

I've just seen the ECM at 240 (yes ... I know...)

ECH1-240-2.thumb.gif.f984bf7b4682d595ad7a0e5a82d56a1f.gif

It immediately reminded me of this...

What could go wrong from that?...Oh I forgot a shortwave blowing itself up near Greenland in situ.