Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

We've had rain on and off all day and it went down to 3C. Will see what tomorrow brings but won't hold breath ?

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

After yesterdays wet and windy weather and rather mild temperatures which reached 11.5c here at 4.09pm, today has been brighter with some sunshine and a few heavy showers have passed through but it is noticeably colder today it's currently 3.3c at 5.38pm.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

@shuggee @mardatha @CatchMyDrift on snow watch later? 

All I will say is the short range models I have looked at don't really show much at all so wouldn't be getting my hopes up ?

Indeed. It's a genuine anything could happen situation. The predicted system is exiting a very fast jet stream to the left.... 

• Like 6

Looks like our best chance of nacreous clouds (polar stratospheric clouds) will be over the next 2 (possibly 3 days) best chances will be at sunrise or sunset. I am really not sure of ideal conditions and will probably take a big bit of luck to see them but I have my fingers crossed that at least 1 of us might get lucky enough ? sunrise and sunset times for here over the next few days Thursday - 8:45 am , 3:48 pm Friday 8:44 am, 3:49 pm Saturday 8:44 am , 3:50 pm. 

nacreous-cloud.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Nacreous clouds form in the lower stratosphere over polar regions when the Sun is just below the horizon. The clouds are illuminated from below and often glow in vivid colours.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Northern Strath said:

Occasional snow showers in the first half of the day here and didn’t budge much above 2c so resembling January a bit more. -1c

Same in Caithness - car said 3C briefly early afternoon but was freezing again at dusk.  Cold one tonight. Winter (of a sort) is back.

• Like 5

Morning all!

@Kirkcaldy Weather I will be on the hunt for those nacreous  (Polar Sratospheric clouds) at sunset tonight! (Clear and widespread frost forecast for later)

Could it be!?  Is it actually happening!?

A02AC0FC-C8C2-4B08-AC0F-6EC435EA3EF3.thumb.png.0c5f2119cfdfabd79238a9cc2c03c591.pngC26DD459-6802-4EC0-948A-ED0DACEAD046.thumb.png.64d4c88b270dc2252e6b2571fa3a9b05.png

Thundersleet earlier!? ?

Someone in here must be getting heavy snow at the moment!? 

I am getting very excited for everyone under that blob of sleet/snow! ??

Enjoy if you are indeed seeing some snowfall.

Have a good day everyone.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 7

2c with lashing cold rain! Lovely. Looking forward to my commute!

Great to hear an actual snow report ?

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 5

Reports of disruption in the Borders. A7 between Hawick & Selkirk is said to be bad and quite a few school buses off.

And the Met-Office with a wee warning perhaps? Nowhere to be seen.

• Like 7

Temp is -0.8c just now, lowest it's been since that lovely cold snap in November. Rained a bit overnight so probably a wee bit skitey oot. Fortunately I'm not driving till much later on. And back to the usual pish tomorrow. Ho hum.

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 4

It's odd because usually it comes from the west and piles up against that fence/hedge. This morning it's coming in from the east and piled up on the neighbour's side of the hedge. The A7 is oot there in that white stuff somewhere..

imageedit_5_2485041517.jpg

• Like 7

Just a hard frost in Caithness. Managed to park the car with the front almost under shelter so only the rear screen was iced up. And I must be getting old cos I have started using heated seats...

• Like 5
  • Paul locked this topic