Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Recommended Posts

Our Great Poplar, which is late into leaf and early to fall compared to other trees, was quite early last year. Leaves began to fall at the start of September and it was nearly bare at the start of October. It's currently about 10-15% golden brown and started dropping almost a week earlier this year. We had the first ripe blackberries in the first week of July and they are done now - too shrivelled and mushy to pick any more. What we've had have been smaller and made lovely intense jam. We already have ripe apples falling - though rather small. They are redder than normal - the reddest skins taste of strawberry/raspberry - and intensely sweet but quite acidic as well. They are already nice to eat but are a bit "pithy" after a bit of chewing - to be expected from smaller apples. The acidity and pithiness should fade into September when they more normally turn good for eating. We have a few plums but most still green. The early ripe ones are small but very sweet and more intense, with no acidity. I like them and I've never liked plums! Our pears were running 2 or 3 weeks early but were destroyed by wasps - lots of wasps - after the weekend of sharp showers that ended the drought. Our raspberries were good In June and early July but they got watered. We've had a second round come into flower a couple of weeks ago. I expected them to be green and shrivelled but a few are swelling and ripening so we look like getting a few in early September, which seems odd.

 

Overall, fruit suggests summer ran anything from 2-4 weeks early and autumn leaf-fall seems to be a few weeks ahead encouraged by the recent couple of grey, dampish weeks and a couple of chilly days and nights. The trouble is last year's early seasonal changes brought a cold November, December, February and March (average Jan) that made for a very long winter. I hope the one month spring, and very early summer, and now, possibly, autumn does not mean an even longer winter in store but that is what I would guess at.

 

By the way, cheeky_monkey - Meteociel is forecasting widespread snow for NW Canada at the weekend, although that may change. It seems rather early if it comes.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hot off the press... Long Range Autumn Forecast Written by @Thundery wintry showers

My favourite type of autumn day, clear skies, some early mist   

Above average temperature?  Year of extended summer/no autumn? Are some on Netweather on drugs? The whole UK was cold in September. So far most of England's October has been warm but Scotland's and th

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Norrance said:

Funnily enough that dry 2005/6 gave my home town in the Highlands its least snowy year (2006)recorded by some way.  There were only 12 snow lying days with around 10 of them actually in March.

Think it was milder in the north that winter.

It did snow every month and settled from November to april 05/06 here as it did last year.

Looking at 2000/01 November 00 was snowless end of December was good some drifting there.

January was pretty cold with some snow not a lot,

Late february 2001 also gave 2 inches of snow,

March again that winter was by far the snowiest and coldest of the lot.

April only gave sleet and late sharp frost

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Think it was milder in the north that winter.

It did snow every month and settled from November to april 05/06 here as it did last year.

Looking at 2000/01 November 00 was snowless end of December was good some drifting there.

January was pretty cold with some snow not a lot,

Late february 2001 also gave 2 inches of snow,

March again that winter was by far the snowiest and coldest of the lot.

April only gave sleet and late sharp frost

January was actually very cold here but virtually bone dry. All the lochs were frozen (with much talk about the “Grand Match curling tournament ) and there was rime everywhere but no snow. The very end of Feb into early March gave snow showers and then there was the big fall on the 11th/12th. Colder but much drier than average overall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Norrance said:

January was actually very cold here but virtually bone dry. All the lochs were frozen (with much talk about the “Grand Match curling tournament ) and there was rime everywhere but no snow. The very end of Feb into early March gave snow showers and then there was the big fall on the 11th/12th. Colder but much drier than average overall.

Edit. Checked my records. Early Jan was cold then milder in the middle with a cold end. Perhaps warmer further West in these set-ups? Feb was similar. Cold beginning and end but mildish in between. March was cold until the last week.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As I’ve been mobile at work today patrolling in Devonport and North Plymouth I’ve had a good look at the trees, and like Aleman, the Poplar trees here are very much advanced compared to last Autumn and a good month ahead I’d say of the Autumn of 2016. Horse chestnut on a par with previous, although in the North part of the City there’s clear evidence of leaves starting to fall.

Looking across at the National Trust property at Saltram, there’s a certain tinge of brown in there now rather than the solid dark greens of a week or so ago.

Blackberries just about still going again not a bumper crop but not bad :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

my Japanese maple is already showing signs of turning at the top !

Autumn signs are there, much earlier than normal. Many trees are showing changes in leaf colouration 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Autumn signs are there, much earlier than normal. Many trees are showing changes in leaf colouration 

You are correct - I guess it’s the other side of the coin regarding a long fairly intense summer the countryside has prematurely aged this year !! I kind of know the feeling !! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Autumn signs are there, much earlier than normal. Many trees are showing changes in leaf colouration 

The only ones I've seen are Horse Chestnut (conker) trees, but that's all down to a tree virus called 'leaf miner'

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

The only ones I've seen are Horse Chestnut (conker) trees, but that's all down to a tree virus called 'leaf miner'

Leaf miner is actually a moth larva that burrows into and along the leaves. It isn’t harmful to the health of the tree but looks ugly by late July. There’s a more serious disease, a canker, that has killed many trees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/08/2018 at 23:54, Norrance said:

Edit. Checked my records. Early Jan was cold then milder in the middle with a cold end. Perhaps warmer further West in these set-ups? Feb was similar. Cold beginning and end but mildish in between. March was cold until the last week.

The winter of 06 was one of the best in my memory (partly because it was the first cool one for a while and my first active here). 

Essentially what we saw though (bar a period of cool zonality in December) was a semi-permanent high over the UK which produced lovely frost and fog along with spectacular sunshine and dry rainfall totals but away from the south east 1st Jan-15th Feb was a pretty uneventful period for the UK with a near miss from -15 uppers around 19th Jan as an easterly came to Europe. 

Crisp was the word to describe it i suppose. The winter of 2015 was similar in setup but a poor mans version with the high being further south and east so no easterly or northerly topplers and not as frosty. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

You are correct - I guess it’s the other side of the coin regarding a long fairly intense summer the countryside has prematurely aged this year !! I kind of know the feeling !! 

I was chatting to my fellow allotment holders last night who said the same thing. I've only had my allotment two seasons but some have had their allotment for 20 years and they say autumn is coming early. And endless heatwave and pressed the fast forward button on some crops. 

Oh and autumn is clearly already here as I've thrown out the biggest spider I have ever seen yesterday. I saw it in the twilight of morning and thought it's body was a moth, that's how big it was!! 

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:26, Norrance said:

Funnily enough that dry 2005/6 gave my home town in the Highlands its least snowy year (2006)recorded by some way.  There were only 12 snow lying days with around 10 of them actually in March.

Interesting as 2005/2006 season here had only 4 less air frosts than 2009/2010

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

The winter of 06 was one of the best in my memory (partly because it was the first cool one for a while and my first active here). 

Essentially what we saw though (bar a period of cool zonality in December) was a semi-permanent high over the UK which produced lovely frost and fog along with spectacular sunshine and dry rainfall totals but away from the south east 1st Jan-15th Feb was a pretty uneventful period for the UK with a near miss from -15 uppers around 19th Jan as an easterly came to Europe. 

Crisp was the word to describe it i suppose. The winter of 2015 was similar in setup but a poor mans version with the high being further south and east so no easterly or northerly topplers and not as frosty. 

Quite a contrast for 2015 up in my home area in the Central Highlands. Winter 2014/15 had 48 snow lying days, 4 times as many as 2005/6. Deepest was 45 cms in 15th January. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add for 2015 there was no prolonged or severe cold spell but rather frequent PM / RPM incursions over the whole Winter into Spring presumably because the HP that you mentioned was far enough SE to let colder air get in around the top.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Interesting as 2005/2006 season here had only 4 less air frosts than 2009/2010

Yes. I recall in my sig at the time that we had like 30 frosts. 

1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Quite a contrast for 2015 up in my home area in the Central Highlands. Winter 2014/15 had 48 snow lying days, 4 times as many as 2005/6. Deepest was 45 cms in 15th January. 

The winter of 2015 was bar December not very notable here. Fairly sunny but bar Boxing Day i don't recall much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/08/2018 at 18:31, Aleman said:

 

 

By the way, cheeky_monkey - Meteociel is forecasting widespread snow for NW Canada at the weekend, although that may change. It seems rather early if it comes.

I noticed Montana had several passes closed due to heavy snow this week 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...