Snow?

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdSe1NVax60

Here's the video of the lightning storm on the 9th

Awesome and someone who doesn't put stupid music to proper loud storms either! 

I did music on mine as I couldn't hear any thunder, cam was awful

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.5k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

Awesome and someone who doesn't put stupid music to proper loud storms either! 

I did music on mine as I couldn't hear any thunder, cam was awful

Thanks! Yeah, I don't see much point in smothering the sounds of the storms with music, unless it's a compilation of non stop lightning strikes, especially at night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Bertha seemed to really go for it with regards to stormy weather - that stormy squall line that hit South-Eastern/Eastern areas today being of particular interest (kinda glad that I happened to be in the South-East at the time. I think the storm shield back in Solihull held up a lot stronger, like a few others in the Midlands). But, despite the numerous lively reports on this thread, it could be argued that Bertha probably could have worked even harder to crush more of the storm fans' storm shields that stayed as hard as steel during that ex-hurricane. Some of the showery set-ups this week, though, could offer further stormy and thundery surprises for places. 

This had been what the skies were like above Hughenden National Trust place in Buckinghamshire (HP14 4LA) around half one. It seemed to exhibit similar features to the storm ajpoolshark tried to chase where clouds - specifically around the main dark defined cloudbase - were moving in different directions. No tornadoes, though, and no lightning seen either, although heard some loud(ish) rumbles of thunder as the storm past over to the East. 

(storm approaching)

post-10703-0-31640700-1407712696_thumb.jpost-10703-0-40425700-1407712748_thumb.jpost-10703-0-95745700-1407712835_thumb.j

(storm clearing)

post-10703-0-28576800-1407712869_thumb.jpost-10703-0-04307800-1407712913_thumb.jpost-10703-0-04480600-1407712961_thumb.jpost-10703-0-16036700-1407712996_thumb.j

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms / Sunshine / Snow

Some atrocious driving conditions just North of Bristol this morning.

At one point, I had to feel sorry for some people without raincoats....there was literally a wall of heavy rain approaching them so much so you could see the straight line moving up the road at the point it started to get torrential.

Edited by Chris K
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Some atrocious driving conditions just North of Bristol this morning.At one point, I had to feel sorry for some people without raincoats....there was literally a wall of heavy rain approaching them so much so you could see the straight line moving up the road at the point it started to get torrential.

Lol that reminds me when I was in Italy during my school days for holiday and one night as we were walking down the road from the village which was about 2000 to 3000 feet up we heard this noise behind us. We realised it was a line of heavy rain chasing us. We had to run to get back to the house before it cau get us, it was so funny. It was just still and calm before that with no sign of it. Edited by Greenday
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Couple of shots of a cold front thunderstorm passing over yesterday....

post-17315-0-48086400-1407748307_thumb.j   post-17315-0-41669400-1407748211_thumb.j

• Like 2
    Posted

Tricky covective forecasting for today. Ex Bertha continues to  circulate between scotland and norway perhaps lifting out a little while the cold front associated with it steadily moves eastwards across the continent. Mean while a second low to the west of Bertha begins to move southwards. This will cause the jetstream to tilt more east to west and perhaps move slightly closer to the south of the UK.

post-2809-0-68370700-1407746627_thumb.pn

How and where the jetstream is plays an inportant part in the convective forecast for today.

post-2809-0-49090700-1407746687_thumb.jp

Mid level lapse rates across much of the UK are moderately steep, but they tend to lift out north and eastwards during the afternoon. This suggests weaker convective potential for the south west.

post-2809-0-13644900-1407746779_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-00887100-1407746791_thumb.pn

If we look at the surface based instability then this suggests perhaps a different story. This suggest stronger convective potential for the south west.

post-2809-0-97196600-1407746873_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-56181400-1407746885_thumb.pn

Humidity charts show a complicated picture as well.

post-2809-0-91518100-1407747788_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-18342900-1407747798_thumb.pn

post-2809-0-37538200-1407747810_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-36987800-1407747827_thumb.pn

This would suggest to me that convection is most likely in the south west and south wales late afternoon.

In terms of directional wind shear then through the mid levels eastern areas look the best and in terms of speed shear southern areas look best. Forecast low level shear looks interresting across the south west.

post-2809-0-98375400-1407748088_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-48880000-1407748104_thumb.pn

Forecast SkewT's suggest tops are not that high and only just tap into upper level winds. This might suggest an anvil strecthing out ahead of storms. Some updraft tilt, moisture into the back of any storm likely causing back building, some low level horizontal vorticity present.

post-2809-0-72633200-1407748523_thumb.pn

My best guess is with temperatures not that great we are likely to see more spring like storms. Quite quickly moving , gusty winds , isolated heavy downpours. Key areas likely to be the south west, south wales and perhaps further along the south coast.  A lot depends on how the jetstream behaves and its placing and not all the models agree.  Slight risk of a severe storm , limited by weak instability, low cloud tops, higher cloud bases. As ever keeping an eye on the radar is best at this point.

Edited by BrickFielder
    • Like 5
    Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Netweather storm forecast for today: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

• Like 4
    Posted

We've had some heavy showers develop and pass near here, one updraught seemed to have a bit of rotation in it, then in a following shower some interesting cloud movements, this time local anticyclonic rotation, scud/cloud quite rapidly descending and evaporating as well as rising, and also scud/low cloud moving in different directions in close proximity.

Might not have been anything significant but there seems to be some interaction between different wind directions/speeds near cloud base level, wouldn't be too surprised to hear a funnel report somewhere.

• Like 1
    Posted

Had a number of thunder storms in the south east today so far, very weak though!

Key areas likely to be the south west, south wales and perhaps further along the south coast.

and south east it seems ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Nice deep rumble just passed to the North of here in the last shower. Very unexpected I have to say

Posted

Thunderstorm here :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some audible thunder from the cell that's passing to the south of Swindon, no lightning seen

Posted

Awesome strike went across the sky and a shotgun boom overhead, NICE!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

Lovely little storm here at the moment. Second of the day. :D

Posted

Looking from my office towards SE London, nice cumulonimbus on the horzon, all skirting to the south of me.

post-1052-0-11175900-1407762732_thumb.jp

• Like 5
    Posted

very interesting about an hour ago heavy rain then cleared up then 3 flashes of lightning with loud thunder sunshine now here again. dont think we are finished yet either 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

The shower that just crossed over me from the M11 direction produced torrential rain and four rumbles of thunder. It got very gusty with trees swaying around all over the shop. Sun's out again now and to the East is black. Looked fairly innocuous on radar as it approached but must have intensified pretty quickly.

Edit: Pic as it heads East...

post-17315-0-11314600-1407767101_thumb.j post-17315-0-15895600-1407768189_thumb.j

Edited by poseidon
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

First thunderstorm of the day in NW London, frequent thunder, gusty winds, not much lightning or rain yet!

Posted

Storms seem to be passing either side of me here in SE24. There's currently one a few miles to my west with intermittent lightning. Heathrow bound planes flying below it.