Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Please carry on discussion of storm potential today and next few days ...

N-W forecast for today: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Cold front is moving faster across Sern England than it is up north, it currently lies Southampton - Angelsey - up west coast of Scotland, it probably will be very slow to move NE across Scotland and N England, but should move through and clear southern England duirng the late morning and afternoon with brighter and drier conditions. Still potential for thundery downpours across central, eastern and SE areas before the cold front clears - mostly N of London.

Currently have sferics across SE Midlands from the remnants of the trough that drifted NW overnight from the SE coast. Also sferics from IoM up to Dumfries along a prefrontal trough, so could see storms across SW Scotland this morning and perhaps developing across other parts of Scotland and down into N England ahead of the slow moving CF. Further storms likely across N and W Ireland today in post front airmass which will become unstable to sfc heating and passage of troughs in SW flow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

morning all....well my timings were not too far off regarding the MCS remnants affecting the midlands, unfortunatlely there's little to no electrical activity...Still looks like some much needed heavy rainfall is imminent, and anything to clear this air, as it was a most uncomfortable sleepless night again!

post-4149-1246604594_thumb.png

Posted

As Nick has alluded too, some good ppn/strikes around the midlands (more so over the east side), looking like its going to move over the likes of Leicestershire, East Derbyshire and West Notts.

PPN looks like it intensified over the last hour or so, so could be something interesting in the next few hours over these areas.

Posted

I would dispute that the rain isn't at all heavy. It was very heavy indeed here initially. Ground here thoroughly soaked but the rain appears to have stopped.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
I would dispute that the rain isn't at all heavy. It was very heavy indeed here initially. Ground here thoroughly soaked but the rain appears to have stopped.

agreed, although not as intense as you experienced earlier, its started to rain quite heavily here, and thankfully, there's already a fresher feel to the air B)

Posted

Hi NS.

On the radar you can see that the ppn has intensified (and collated) further than when over yourself. So 'currently' the ppn I mentioned above could see some sharp showers and possible sferrics.

Edit (08.40) - In fact, just started raining here (Which means no watering of the garden tonight :yay:)

Edit 2 (08.50) - Now gone VERY dark.

Edit 3 (08.55) - Rumbles of Thunder too B) The first here all week.

Edit 4 (08.57) - Lightening too now.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Strange I think we must be stuck between the front to the west over wales and the rain in the midlands, just a dark sky, and no rain...

Last night was a close call a storm that got to Wrexham went up out over Wales less that 20 miles from here... gutted!

Posted

thx for the forecast Nick..

rain here and off with the CF finally arrived...

So glad I didnt stay last night....

I remembered the land killing some other Storms a while ago on a similar fashion...

If its not the Channel its the Land B)

Anyway the shower up North looks like its getting heavier,so people up there might b e lucky later,

Posted

There was some rain overnight but it doesn't show, still looks bone dry out there. Overcast this morning, feeling very humid at 21.2c.

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

thundering and lightening still in burton on trent just had some torrential rain was pretty good may this rain actually intensify?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

So so pleased I didn't stay up any later for that more intense line of cells to arrive - looking back at the radar this morning, it literally puffed out in just over half an hour - well, around here it did anyway.

Left this morning with a lot of cloud cover - VERY humid today, in fact the highest temperature at 7.30am this week (19.5C). I know the chances of convectional weather today were v low, but even lower now with this dark and thick blanket of cloud around.

Last night was enjoyable, despite there being v little rain and no thunder heard where I live! The clear and starry sky was almost a constant flicker at times with raging storms to the south and east!! Then as they rolled a bit closer, obviously the lightning got brighter etc.

Still, will sit back and watch what happens now across other areas of the country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

No rain or thunder noted here in Gloucester, the ground is still dry but the misses is a midwife at Cheltenham and said there was rain and a rumble thunder at 7am this morning there. Feels very humid inside the house but a fresher breeze outside.

Posted

Good morning, it all kind of died out as it approached here but there was a lot of flashing off to the South for quite some time and a little bit of rain. Was quite spectacular for a time with lightning flashing away with a crimson moon hanging above, eventually that dissapeared behind the storm tops.

This morning its dull but still warm and humid, with a light variable breeze, but the cold front is moving in.

Kudos to Roger J Smith, his forecast was pretty accurate when everybody else was saying it was game over. B)

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
Strange I think we must be stuck between the front to the west over wales and the rain in the midlands, just a dark sky, and no rain...

Last night was a close call a storm that got to Wrexham went up out over Wales less that 20 miles from here... gutted!

If its any consonlation...you didnt really miss anything...two flashes.two rumbles and that was it!

Posted

Heavy rain here about 3-00am no thunder then at 4.30am torential downpour with thunder and lightning but very weak seemed to be over south london lasted for about half hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thunder rumbling every 2-3 minutes here and been some high based flashes. I’m at work now though so can’t see it much. Heavy rain also, should finally clear this pollen, I’ve been really suffering this past week. B)

Posted
Thunder rumbling every 2-3 minutes here and been some high based flashes. I’m at work now though so can’t see it much. Heavy rain also, should finally clear this pollen, I’ve been really suffering this past week. :doh:

Hi SC.

The PPN band seems to have both intensified and grown over the last 1-2 hours. Its still pouring down here, so expect more to come your way.

Posted

We are in the area for a severe weather warning

Dont know if I should hold my breath though . . . last few warnings have missed us completely.

Maybe bad weather is afraid of the Norfolk/Cambs border.

Jan

Posted

It's gone really dark here! All lights are on in the office.

I expect rain and hopefully thunder any moment now!

Karyo

Edit: Very heavy rain now with no thunder

Edited by karyo

Rumble of thunder here just now, and very dark. It's not very active though so a few rumbles and that will be that. Better than diddly squat though :doh:

Posted

Fairly heavy rain now.

Also just heard a feeble rumble of thunder. Cat normally goes crazy when it thunders but that one didn't seem to bother her :doh:

Posted
It's gone really dark here! All lights are on in the office.

I expect rain and hopefully thunder any moment now!

Karyo

Edit: Very heavy rain now with no thunder

No thunder but sky box picture has gone - good sign?

Posted
No thunder but sky box picture has gone - good sign?

That's probably to do with the huge clouds blocking the signal. If we get some thunder it will probably be faint as the storms are elevated.

Karyo