Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Can hear distant thunder, looks like this shower is going to be a direct hit, finally.

• Like 5

Posted

Just had the unexpected storm pass-by here with only a few lightning strikes seen including one that was 1/2 mile away, but mostly it's been loud 'booms' of thunder. Not that i'm complaining as I wasn't expecting anything in the way of sferics for today.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Closest lightening strike was near Stalybridge near mottram old road… 3mm rain 

The edge of that lot has reached here now and the thunder sounds to be getting closer

Not sure that we will get a direct hit though as it looks to be heading more in the direction of Calderdale.

certainly the blackest skies of the day though.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

The edge of that lot has reached here now and the thunder sounds to be getting closer

Not sure that we will get a direct hit though as it looks to be heading more in the direction of Calderdale.

certainly the blackest skies of the day though.

Nice just to have the rain! A squall incoming!

• Like 8

Posted

Whinge over...3 claps of thunder & ⛈️...spell of heavy rain.  Finally got a lucky hit after lots of misses.  Ground & soil needed that watering. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Having birthday meal at the Peels Arms, Padfield.

My dad texted and said 55 years ago, it thundered as you were born.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

It came down pretty heavy for a few minutes with thunder and a bit of lightening thrown in for good measure but it looks like the main part kept a few miles to our east as it ran up the Pennines.

a bit of a watering for the garden though

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
7 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

We did get a rainbow though!

FCADD2D3-2922-445F-AFBC-6336332C0CE2.jpeg

C6DF8FCF-3E6F-4ABC-986B-0C5D150A89CD.jpeg

Stunning photos 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Still no appreciable rain fall here. Must be quite a dry anomaly around this area if it was on a map. Over the last few days everything has passed just a few miles either direction. Some quite intense downpours due south moving north looks like it has Wills name on it @WillinGlossop but we could be in the gap again here.

Yes it’s been mostly dry here too. Had some threatening dark cloud and a very light brief shower in the afternoon, and I’ve just had a short sharp shower this afternoon. Although the bbc weather app forecast was for a mostly dry and partly cloudy day here, which it has been.

5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Heavy convective raindrops in the showers. Still waiting for the first thunder of 2022. Back to the bad old years of most of the 2010s.

Didn't hear the first thunder of 2015 until the start of July.

3 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

20/25 minutes of rain… puddles woohoo ??☔️ can’t believe I’m so happy to see rain

according to rain gauge 1.2mm rain 

over last 4 weeks only 16mm 

It has been a pretty dry June to be fair. Maybe one of the driest on record for the region?

I Cant remember the last time I heard thunder. I’m not sure if there was even a thunderstorm last summer here.

It’s always a bit of a lottery on showery setups like today, some places stay completely dry and have a nice day, others get a couple of small showers and others get a thorough soaking.

• Like 5

Posted
41 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

We did get a rainbow though!

FCADD2D3-2922-445F-AFBC-6336332C0CE2.jpeg

C6DF8FCF-3E6F-4ABC-986B-0C5D150A89CD.jpeg

Great pictures and the faintest of a second rainbow coming out of the top of the Reaps Moss turbine.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

After the 28c heat of last week it’s turned out to be a pleasant weekend here in S Cheshire apart from a thundery shower mid afternoon yesterday. A cooler, more unsettled week looks like coming up this week but the chance of warmer weather returning as we enter July. Have a nice Sunday all ☀️ 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A bright and breezy start today, but now mostly clouded in with another showery day in prospect. I can see a few got lucky seeing thunder/lightning yesterday. No such luck here and yet to hear even a rumble this summer so far and even this year come to think of it.

Edited by severe snowstorm
  • Like 6

Posted
15 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Having birthday meal at the Peels Arms, Padfield.

My dad texted and said 55 years ago, it thundered as you were born.

Belated Happy Birthday ⚡☔⚡☔⚡

• Like 4

Posted

Oh dear not very late June at the moment, blustery bursts of moderate rain, low cloud and current temp 14.5 degrees. Not impressed.

• Like 6

Posted

Mad windy again today, I was narrowly missed by a failing branch out on my bike just now. Very warm enough, terrible desiccating conditions for plants and the soil. I bet my washing is dry though, only hung it out an hour ago.

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Windy but dry here today so far! 

Aye same here, the bits of rain over the last few days have done nothing to help the land which is getting pretty parched now and that wind is drying things out even quicker.

I think that the only thing that’s stopped water restrictions being introduced so far is the lack of lengthy spells of hot sunshine but reservoir levels are low, especially in Pennine areas and unless we enter a wet period, I think it’s only a matter of time before hose pipes are banned.

that said though the hypocrite in me is enjoying having usable weather at the time of maximum daylight.

plenty of time for rain in the autumn and winter.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

It really is quite blowy out today. It's been generally cloudy most of the day as well, but it has been dry. The rain/showers seem to be staying well out to the West. The week ahead is looking rather unsettled and potentially a significant spell of rain for many on Tuesday.

• Like 5

Posted
26 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Aye same here, the bits of rain over the last few days have done nothing to help the land which is getting pretty parched now and that wind is drying things out even quicker.

I think that the only thing that’s stopped water restrictions being introduced so far is the lack of lengthy spells of hot sunshine but reservoir levels are low, especially in Pennine areas and unless we enter a wet period, I think it’s only a matter of time before hose pipes are banned.

that said though the hypocrite in me is enjoying having usable weather at the time of maximum daylight.

plenty of time for rain in the autumn and winter.

Hope no hosepipe ban imposed, as it often results in the heavens opening relentlessly thereafter, can't remember the last one, possibly 2018.. the warm dry spell came to an abrupt end in August... recall one in March 2012 I think then the heavens opened or was it May 2011... yes its been dry, but we haven't had sustained heat so far, can hardly call current conditions as hot, helping reduce impact of evaporation..

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Not a bad day all in all so far. Windy but useable for walking, walked the dogs up to Hartshead pike and back. Was very gusty up there on the summit almost knocked me off my feet.

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Hope no hosepipe ban imposed, as it often results in the heavens opening relentlessly thereafter, can't remember the last one, possibly 2018.. the warm dry spell came to an abrupt end in August... recall one in March 2012 I think then the heavens opened or was it May 2011... yes its been dry, but we haven't had sustained heat so far, can hardly call current conditions as hot, helping reduce impact of evaporation..

I still remember standpipes being put up in the streets here at the end of August 1976.

they weren’t needed as the rain arrived and we ended up with the wettest September on record 

by Christmas reservoirs which were at one stage down to 10% had recovered to maximum.

• Like 5