Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - into mid-January

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread and use the winter chat thread for non-model related discussion.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less of a cold-slanted look at the models, please head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted

Control at T120 looks much better than earlier - heights heading up in the right area 

BA07F1C1-9F55-4063-B52B-B7B2C7E8122E.png

6DEB108E-8D50-46CE-A6C0-98A15BDEB18E.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

I agree. If we still end up cold, I'd rather it snow rather than just cold weather though.

Yes, you need the low heights down the whole country, not just the uppers and not just the East coast, ala 17th or 18th Dec 2010, yes a straight Northerly even with -13c uppers wouldn't deliver well inland but wind direction can vary once we get to that point.

• Like 4

Posted

Still cold at surface and what do we think round 2 with Greenland heights or a cheeky wedge to our norther ?image.thumb.png.6b56c7ff683aa60101680dc93b006c9a.png

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
8 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Icon has far better dealing of short wave spoiler lows it has nailed every single North Atlantic storm since 2015. So will likely have the more accurate projection here.

You're probably right. To me it looks like which model has the best handle of how much to amplify the jet buckling north towards / over Greenland ahead of the eastern seaboard storm moving over NE Canada late in the weekend and the resultant downstream trough amplification over NE Europe. The longitude of the equatorward jet coming down from Greenland into northern Europe will determine how far east/west the northerly will be as well.

• Like 5

Posted

GEM sending heights up the west of Greenland too

2BB70034-C5B0-4377-8AA8-3CA83D8DFDCF.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS triumphed with colder higher pressure it took ECM days to follow so don’t always dismiss it. The polar vortex visiting Europe could be a big force on pattern just need high pressure sufficiently west no need for spectacular blocking. It might not be the most prolonged spectacle but in my opinion the potential is clear to see.

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Ukmo looking isolated atm, it's 168 run gives us a cold high.

Icon was so close to going down the GFS route, plenty of time for corrections either way

ukmonh-0-168 (2).png

So are we saying that worse of the lot up to 168 is ukm and even that gives as a cold high?

• Like 2

Posted

The Control will be great and as cold as the Op I’d say , and so will 6/7 ENS but not as much ENS support as I hoped. Nice having the GEM on board. Need ECM on board 

E9A24C54-C39B-41B5-96FF-2248280203EB.png

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

So are we saying that worse of the lot up to 168 is ukm and even that gives as a cold high?

Yes it's pops out the low around the Azores at 108, which stops the high from being propped up towards greenland, so when the storm rides up the east coast of USA it's not in the right place for the jet stream to drag it up

Posted

UKMO 168 is close to being a very good chart ..

There is troughing acting to help the High from sinking under the weight of the jet..

image.thumb.png.3dc2e3879905c074f1aa21410e7dfafb.png

clearly the smart money is on the block sinking away ...It may do, it may not.

Ps ,that's a split TPV on ukmo ?

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Not sure I would call it a cold high but I know expectations have been modified in recent years

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Staffmoorlands said:

Not sure I would call it a cold high but I know expectations have been modified in recent years

Inversion cold then codge!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
25 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, you need the low heights down the whole country, not just the uppers and not just the East coast, ala 17th or 18th Dec 2010, yes a straight Northerly even with -13c uppers wouldn't deliver well inland but wind direction can vary once we get to that point.

Or south moving troughs.

• Like 1