Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Altitude definitely made the difference. No snow on the ground in Hopwood, Worcestershire but as you climb another 50-80m towards longbridge, snow everywhere excluding major highways.

Posted
Just now, weirpig said:

but even at the top end of matlock its only 200metres     which was what you were replying to.   anyway  move from Stourbridge one of the worst places for snow in the BC   

I dont think you're really understanding my point. I think my point is pretty robust, in that i dont believe parts of the black country got accumulations to that level. Maybe slushy, grass verges etc, a temporary covering or the odd cm or so, but that video showed significantly accumulating snow, but what i wouldve expected given Matlock (or locally to Matlock) is well located for snow. If you did, well done to you. I got a sugar dusting on the top of my gazebo at best.

I'm fine in stourbridge thanks, its a good location for walking and for my day-to-day life.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Just rain in Northampton

Posted

Current temp

Current Conditions Date: 06/01/22 - Report Time: 14:11:00

Temperature: 2.5 deg c   Dp 1.9c
Humidity: 96%
Average Wind Speed: 5.0 mph
Current Wind Speed: 6.1 mph
Rain Today: 4.8 mm
Air Pressure: 1011.2 mbar
Today's Highest Temperature: 2.3 deg c
Today's Lowest Temperature: -1.2 deg c
UV Index: 0

Edited by weirpig

Posted

To be fair, our road was starting to look like the video from Matlock, and we’re a little bit lower than Sedgley.

Looks nothing like that now though! 

Green and brown returns.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Gord said:

To be fair, our road was starting to look like the video from Matlock, and we’re a little bit lower than Sedgley.

Green and brown returns.

Fair enough! It looked like a good few cm covering in Matlock there. I would've expected derbyshire to be in for some decent accumulations today, but i didnt see a lot to suggest anything in the west mids was close to that. As always, elevation helps with settling snow. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Gord said:

Green and brown returns.

Thanks  Gord  though i was going mad

So after 1.5cm of snow it turned to sleet and began to thaw here in Alton ST10.

onwards to Tomorrow with the warning area staying firm in the north of our patch. Whats everyone thinking about tomorrow? Some surprises maybe? Or are models projecting precipitation where they werent previously? 

On some other points its worth remembering that even in places like Stoke (Inner City) small pockets such as Meir Heath often see more snow by depth than some of the peak locations during any snow event. Variables will always be present and I dont think its wise to get into debate about what people are seeing with their own eyes. My best tip when it comes to snow depth… use a ruler and a camera

Posted
4 minutes ago, AltonMatthew said:

So after 1.5cm of snow it turned to sleet and began to thaw here in Alton ST10.

onwards to Tomorrow with the warning area staying firm in the north of our patch. Whats everyone thinking about tomorrow? Some surprises maybe? Or are models projecting precipitation where they werent previously? 

On some other points its worth remembering that even in places like Stoke (Inner City) small pockets such as Meir Heath often see more snow by depth than some of the peak locations during any snow event. Variables will always be present and I dont think its wise to get into debate about what people are seeing with their own eyes. My best tip when it comes to snow depth… use a ruler and a camera

True! At least using a camera is good evidence for the current situation,  then noone can argue otherwise. The higher parts of the black country do well in snowy setups.

That said, i know that reading the northwest thread and some local media, Ashbourne up to Buxton got a right old dumping today and google maps showed that the roads were a write off extensively, so its hard to compete with that on a midlands basis (for today at least). I'll shutup now and go back to my snowless cave  

13 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

True! At least using a camera is good evidence for the current situation,  then noone can argue otherwise. The higher parts of the black country do well in snowy setups.

That said, i know that reading the northwest thread and some local media, Ashbourne up to Buxton got a right old dumping today and google maps showed that the roads were a write off extensively, so its hard to compete with that on a midlands basis (for today at least). I'll shutup now and go back to my snowless cave  

Ahhh our position on the edge of the churnet valley, weaver hills and the peak district means we too tend to be on par with the likes of Ashbourne, Buxton etc! Once the precip gets here it tends to stall!

Posted

definatley an altitude thing, during the last event Nov / Dec  there was between 15 to 20cms at Pikehall, Newhaven, parts of Parwich, 4 to 6 miles from here and 260 to 350mtrs

Middleton had easily over 12 inches lying

at my house in Matlock (195mts ) there was 5 to 7cm, but in town centre 90 mtrs ish, but only 400 metre walk there was just a slight covering.

it them hills I  tell you,  should be plenty of snow still around at the weekend, in the Peak District

Today we still have 85% coverage, so Hoping it tops up overnight and tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
44 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Dp finally on the way down. Still over 3 mind  

Don’t think there will be anything interesting happening tonight, like to be proved wrong though 

Posted
Just now, markw2680 said:

Don’t think there will be anything interesting happening tonight, like to be proved wrong though 

Nor me  maybe Friday morning with the sparadic nature of showers. Must not complain though. We  will always have November 

Posted

Just had a heavy wintry shower 

came out of nowhere and wind really whipped up !!

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Nor me  maybe Friday morning with the sparadic nature of showers. Must not complain though. We  will always have November 

The November snow was a real bonus 

Posted
6 minutes ago, nobble said:

Just had a heavy wintry shower 

came out of nowhere and wind really whipped up !!

Definitely some snowflakes in there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Raining in kidsgrove 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Snow showers here this morning with a thin covering. 

• Like 1

Posted

The feature approaching Us from the irish sea  is certainly more north than modeled   if it reaches here  is may give aflake or two  more likely  icy rain. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
33 minutes ago, weirpig said:

The feature approaching Us from the irish sea  is certainly more north than modeled   if it reaches here  is may give aflake or two  more likely  icy rain. 

I've been watching this too - can't quite make out what it is vs expected front locations - I think it's heading south of my location but looks on track to head towards Birmingham. Perhaps a surprise or two in store!

A lot of cloud ahead of this - gone from clear skies to compeltely cloudy in the last 30 mins.

Edited by Selliso
  • Like 1

Just got back from ym driving lesson which saw us driving through the peaks to Buxton (Where my test is) Lots of snow showers that way, not too much in the way of lying snow but a lovely drive through the snow and the resulting scenery and landscape. God we live in such a beautiful part of the world here!.

• Like 3