Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early run up to Winter 2021/2022 discussion

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

In general I agree with you, however the article is by Andrej Flis (Recretos), pretty sure he's posted in the start thread in the past if it's the same guy.

@weirpig I agree with you.

Anyway apologies the thread has gone a wry, I'll move on.

Let's hope we all get snow for Christmas!

Here's an excerpt from one I prepared earlier, just so no one thinks I'm dissing scientists:

'I believe that research into the behaviour of the GS-NAD is a valuable endeavour and that each finding deserves the same respect/scrutiny as any other . . . it's when the Press get involved that the problems arise!'

I agree. Let it snow!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Already some doom mongering in here!

We have not had a truly good snow experience in the SE in 2010, it will not take much to beat the last few years that is for sure. 

Personally, I am hoping for a week of snow. That is all I want.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
18 hours ago, knocker said:

Stories of the Gulf Stream collapsing or drastically slowing dowm, thus impacting the climate of western Europe, are basically urban legend. Apart from anything else the earths spin would have to change.

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

Thanks for this: very interesting. I must confess I was in possession of the received wisdom that a conjectured sudden freshening of the North Atlantic from the Lake Agassiz flood was the instigator of the Younger Dryas period, but it seems that it is somewhat up for debate. The Broecker article referenced is interesting too:

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/pubs/broecker_science.pdf

"Despite the flies in the flood ointment described above, my money remains on a flood of water stored in Lake Aggasiz.Otherwise, the confluence of dates for the cessation of the Big Stone Moraine overflow, the Moorhead low- stand, and the rise in à18O in the Gulf of Mexico would have to be attributed to coincidence. But our inability to identify the path taken by the flood is disconcerting."

A later article from the same author casts further doubt:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Hai-Cheng-2/publication/236943863_Putting_the_Younger_Dryas_cold_event_into_context/links/5cdb682092851c4eaba051fd/Putting-the-Younger-Dryas-cold-event-into-context.pdf

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread further.

• Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

Does that show a mild weather? Does orange and red show higher temperature above the mean? 

Yes and yes!  A kick in the teeth for those hoping for a front loaded winter!  Infact, it looks mild all the way until end of March on that update.

Edited by Don

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes and yes!  A kick in the teeth for those hoping for a front loaded winter!

Not really, it is a three month mean after all.

In fact, I think it shows Northerly chances with Western Greenland well above average and Iceland below average.

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Not really, it is a three month mean after all.

In fact, I think it shows Northerly chances with Western Greenland well above average and Iceland below average.

Obviously it doesn't rule out colder periods, but still not a good update.  Anyway, it could be completely wrong at this range of course!

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

True but having just checked now, this same forecast looked worse (?) in 2010 so there is hope haha.  

Yes you're correct, the October 2010 update did look rather grim, too! 

Edited by Don

Posted
3 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

Met office October update looks good for Nov/Dec, but raging mild for Jan/Feb

Are there monthly breakdowns?  I've only ever seen the quarterlies here. 

Posted
On 11/10/2021 at 16:39, Leo97t said:

Met office October update looks good for Nov/Dec, but raging mild for Jan/Feb

Basically what happened in the winter of 2010/11. A repeat of prolonged cold over the three months or 2012/13 would be decent. 

• Like 1

Posted

That some temperature over Hudson on the Met Office forecast. Wow., although ECM cools it off a bit quicker, Comparing the latest ECM and MET Office (The Copernicus site will be updated shortly with UK Met Office contribution etc. and you can view more data there in my experience, why the MetOffice doesn't do that on their own site who knows?)

UK Met

image.thumb.png.d7f4812fec51f986463acbfa7ee1423b.png

ECMWF

image.thumb.png.30f92c7e8ce3033d16f74e71c78469ae.png

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

GW in all its glory.

Or not so glorious depending on one's preference! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But don't forget, peeps: there were mild days in October/November 1962, '68, '69, '78, '81, '83, '84, '86, '90, '95, 2000, '09, '10, '12? And look how the subsequent winters periods turned out? I could've of course started with cold days in just about any year!?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
6 hours ago, knocker said:

Do charts depicting similar not get wheeled out before most winters though? There is, as I'm sure you are aware, a warming commencing in the stratosphere with a further, stronger warming forecast to commence over north east Siberia in November. These are earlier than normal, so with the stratosphere seemingly predisposed to warming this season, I'm not sure how an accurate long range forecast could be produced. Just my thoughts and, as ever, we shall see.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Premier Neige said:

Do charts depicting similar not get wheeled out before most winters though? There is, as I'm sure you are aware, a warming commencing in the stratosphere with a further, stronger warming forecast to commence over north east Siberia in November. These are earlier than normal, so with the stratosphere seemingly predisposed to warming this season, I'm not sure how an accurate long range forecast could be produced. Just my thoughts and, as ever, we shall see.

These anomaly charts I doubt factor in stratospheric developments.. these are tricky to predict and there effects always unknown. I suspect they are based on factors such as Enso, SST's primarily.. solar influence, QBO probably not factored into account either.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

These anomaly charts I doubt factor in stratospheric developments.. these are tricky to predict and there effects always unknown. I suspect they are based on factors such as Enso, SST's primarily.. solar influence, QBO probably not factored into account either.

Precisely my point. I'm of the opinion LRF's may be like a chocolate teapot this winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It always amuses me, that if these longer range charts don't show a members desired outcome, said members get their backs up. If it is the other way around, then December 2010 is on its way! 

• Like 4

Posted

For the record, and before I get shot down (if I haven't already) I am not stating I think it will be either a cold or mild winter. I am merely pointing out that a long range forecast seems difficult given the warming taking place and forecast to take place. Where the pieces fall following these warming events (and how many/how strong they will be) is anyone's guess.

• Like 1