Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Crypto Currency - Energy usage

HighPressure

Posted

I could not find this subject anywhere else on here so I hope a new topic is the correct thing to do?

I cannot believe that with the global climate being high on the agenda at the moment for most of the worlds governments that many central banks are considering or are at least exploring the possibility of adopting crypto currencies given the huge energy resources they consume.

I thought I would start by linking this story from the FT  for anyone who would like a closer look:

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.
WWW.FT.COM

Elon Musk has highlighted the cryptocurrency’s environmental impact and governments are starting to take notice

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
On 13/08/2021 at 00:04, HighPressure said:

I could not find this subject anywhere else on here so I hope a new topic is the correct thing to do?

I cannot believe that with the global climate being high on the agenda at the moment for most of the worlds governments that many central banks are considering or are at least exploring the possibility of adopting crypto currencies given the huge energy resources they consume.

I thought I would start by linking this story from the FT  for anyone who would like a closer look:

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.
WWW.FT.COM

Elon Musk has highlighted the cryptocurrency’s environmental impact and governments are starting to take notice

Yep, definitely a problematic and growing energy burner and thus CO2 emitter (not to mention them hogging tech).
With a green energy grid it would be much less of an issue, but that seems quite a way off at the moment.

• Like 1