Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
31 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Now you're shifting the goalposts. The original post said (that you took exception to) said that today hasn't been the warmest day of the month, and there was no mention at all of humidity so I'm not sure where that's come from?

When you're in a hole, stop digging!

You've lost me totally. I shall be very careful in future to exactly word ever sentence. I referred to the worst day of the month, not the warmest. Not digging any hole at all Nick

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
On 19/10/2021 at 18:17, markyo said:

You've lost me totally. I shall be very careful in future to exactly word ever sentence. I referred to the worst day of the month, not the warmest. Not digging any hole at all Nick

It was you that jumped on my post.. ?‍♂️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It was you that jumped on my post.. ?‍♂️

Better leave it as it is! This could go on Lets just say its been a warm day for October then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I personally don't mind these current conditions too much for the time being. However, by early to mid November I would then like to see the back of south westerlies for a while.

Seems very early for this setup, more common in Dec and Jan when temps can be very warm, not dropping much below 12 degrees

Posted

I'd give today a rating of 1 out of 10. The 1 only because the rain hasn't been too heavy and caused flooding. Also no strong winds associated with it. Thank goodness polar air is on the way. A shocking three days we've endured. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

A late walk back from the supermarket a couple hours ago and just how warm and humid it felt reminds me a lot of Nov. 1st last year. The type of thick foggy drizzle that blows under the street lamps. Bring on colder, clearer weather!

• Like 3

Posted
11 hours ago, markyo said:

Better leave it as it is! This could go on Lets just say its been a warm day for October then!

It’s all happened before. October 1984 was like this, and early November recorded 21c in London on one day. Same thing happened in 1994.

Posted
6 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I'd give today a rating of 1 out of 10. The 1 only because the rain hasn't been too heavy and caused flooding. Also no strong winds associated with it. Thank goodness polar air is on the way. A shocking three days we've endured. 

I wouldn’t call it shocking.

Just another dank autumn day, with some very mild air. Soon to be replaced by cold air. Its autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

A late walk back from the supermarket a couple hours ago and just how warm and humid it felt reminds me a lot of Nov. 1st last year. The type of thick foggy drizzle that blows under the street lamps. Bring on colder, clearer weather!

It’s coming. We will be freezing soon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s all happened before. October 1984 was like this, and early November recorded 21c in London on one day. Same thing happened in 1994.

well here’s hoping a 1984/1985 type winter and not a 1994/1995 type one!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

well here’s hoping a 1984/1985 type winter and not a 1994/1995 type one!

Yes, I was about to mention that. 94/95 was a very mild one. 84/85 wouldn’t be out of the question. It was fairly mild until just before Christmas that year, then it turned very cold during the festive season and into January. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I clearly remember the end of October 2011 being exceptionally hot. I was in Brighton for a conference and there was a freak heatwave. T shirt and icecream weather! Even late at night it was warm enough to stroll along the seafront in summer clothes

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Because I have stats recorded to prove it?!

Yep 17-19C with high teen DPs in mid October are not unusual. Above average yes, but not unusual. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Yep 17-19C with high teen DPs in mid October are not unusual. Above average yes, but not unusual. 

Said before October is on average milder than April especially nightime minima which are more on a par with May. Absolute maxima tends to be lower than April thanks to a weaker sunshine. Physchologically many probably think October is colder than April. Likewise November often milder than March.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Really would love some frosty mornings now, but I fear we're going to have to wait until December for them!

• Like 1

Posted

Thursdays northerly is a blink and you'll miss it affair, ridge soon back in and followed a setup that builds into a sustained long fetch south westerly well into next week, bottom chart is next Thursday 850's ECM

image.thumb.png.3e94bededf6dea536bbeb6f7cb8efc8b.png

image.thumb.png.536b92cb20404ecf9efef55ac2cb241d.png

Might be a very sustained spell of wet weather for some unlucky people with the associated font there, although obviously too far out, but general picture is the point. 

image.thumb.png.eefb7cb64ae7741ffd68330a4affc67b.pngimage.thumb.png.0628b5916ee153bfc1baf455d81d2d65.pngimage.thumb.png.7ef9fd3eaf48aa59d62fab7e325ba097.png

Aside from if and where the rain comes, I'd be surprised 20c isn't achieved next Thursday. If I am not mistaken most recent Octobers I have scrapped frost off the car at least once, not this year.

image.thumb.png.e762c061e9f9b8bc222f8199c6616248.png

Posted
3 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Aside from if and where the rain comes, I'd be surprised 20c isn't achieved next Thursday. If I am not mistaken most recent Octobers I have scrapped frost off the car at least once, not this year.

image.thumb.png.e762c061e9f9b8bc222f8199c6616248.png

Date record for the 28th is just 20.6C, the 29th is 19.2C! Might be eyeing up some date records being broken if we can get some Foehn effects going.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 20/10/2021 at 08:56, Ravendane said:

I clearly remember the end of October 2011 being exceptionally hot. I was in Brighton for a conference and there was a freak heatwave. T shirt and icecream weather! Even late at night it was warm enough to stroll along the seafront in summer clothes

End of September you mean, into October. Stunning spell of weather it was.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

End of September you mean, into October. Stunning spell of weather it was.

Sat by the lake in freshers week at uni in low sunshine and high 20s, with bottles of cider. What a week.

• Like 1

Posted
On 20/10/2021 at 09:37, Nick L said:

Really would love some frosty mornings now, but I fear we're going to have to wait until December for them!

Nick it's an interesting comment, as over the last couple of months we have seen many (not citing you) forecasters in the Northern Hemisphere say "Signs are there for a front end loaded winter...". I do wonder how much longer these people will keep going with as time is really running out now.

Posted
On 20/10/2021 at 10:58, Nick L said:

Sat by the lake in freshers week at uni in low sunshine and high 20s, with bottles of cider. What a week.

Difficult to beat that!