Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, Snowycat said:

The implication was though, that winter weather is worse than hot dry weather for ailments and I am merely trying to balance out that it is not always the case.  

Ok, but the implication that the UK winter climate is bad for many joint related and other health issues is completely valid and such weather goes on for many months, not a few days like in summer. I wish it was the other way around for me, as I’d only have to take painkillers for a few days here and there, not over months like I did in the UK winter.

Posted

A thundery weekend here with persistent storms yesterday evening and a big one currently passing through. It's gone from 30C and sunny to 20C and dull in the space of two hours.

The grass is gradually turning green again. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

This up coming week is looking appalling for working in, by a long way the worst working weather for a few years...its going to be tough and very unpleasant. 

But your weather preferences say you like hot weather? 

• Like 1

Posted

I’m not the type to moan but my oh my it’s scorching out there. Imo anything above 25c is straight out uncomfortable accompanied with this humidity. And by the looks of it the heat only intensifies next week. Lots of sleepless nights ahead!

If only 20c and blue skies were more common in the summer, think that would satisfy the majority of people. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
26 minutes ago, markyo said:

This up coming week is looking appalling for working in, by a long way the worst working weather for a few years...its going to be tough and very unpleasant. 

Surely last August was worse than this (if it's hot weather you dislike), as I work in a kitchen and have never known such horrible stifling heat worse than that. Love it when I'm off though but it's a shame as I work weekends.

A comparatively lovely 26c here at the moment with a nice breeze.

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
34 minutes ago, Nick L said:

But your weather preferences say you like hot weather? 

Oh dear dear.... where did i say for working in? 

Posted
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I thought I would point something out to you; Last year, you were making posts complaining that it was 15°C  in July, where you were, and that you had the heating on.

Folk change....don't you ever stop?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

don't you ever stop?

Stop what? Pointing out the inconsistencies of some members posts?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Stop what? Pointing out the inconsistencies of some members posts?

We are here for fun aren't we? not to be analysed what we may have posted last year? 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, whatever the RH is (db is 26C) today is too hot for me, I'd call it 'Betty Swollocks'!

Edited by Mapantz
Removed unnecessary dig
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

Rupert is in his top hat in the spare bedroom   Can’t get these top hats now, they so love them.  They have eaten some of the Applaws food that was withdrawn from sale so have been a little worried about them all

9C04E6D4-5DAD-47A8-94DB-D31DE3E4F3A0.jpeg

Had read about this after looking at your profile. Hope you cats are okay. We give our cats Whiskas and Dreamies so we’re okay.

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

I do have a thicker duvet and heating  on in winter and am very careful to dress warmly. I sleep in a hoodie all winter too, but unfortunately I still get a fair bit of pain that disrupts my sleep. Not every night but enough to be an issue that needs managing. Summer is blessed relief as I’m pain free!

Get yourself a fan, even a small desk fan will make a huge difference, try it and see Or is that too easy?!

Just goes to show how different we all are. I would boil if I slept in a hoodie, even in the winter. Saw a few men in shorts in the snow last winter.

My new usb powered fan that I ordered from Amazon Prime yesterday has arrived today, will give that a try tonight. It’s always the worst late at night, after I have my evening meal my body heats up and I just can’t cool down.

27 minutes ago, markyo said:

Oh dear dear.... where did i say for working in? 

To be fair though you don’t like the heat whether you are working in it or not, probably best just remove the word “hot” from your weather preferences so people don’t keep bugging you about it.

My weather preferences are “not too hot, not too cold” so I can moan about either!

50 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Surely last August was worse than this (if it's hot weather you dislike), as I work in a kitchen and have never known such horrible stifling heat worse than that. Love it when I'm off though but it's a shame as I work weekends.

A comparatively lovely 26c here at the moment with a nice breeze.

Or the last week of July 2019 for that matter. Hottest ever day on record on 25th July 2019, 38.7°C at Cambridge Botanical Gardens! Recorded 33°C here. What a scorcher that day was!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, markyo said:

Folk change....don't you ever stop?

Get what you mean about change, hot weather now, like today, doesn't really bother me like it used to, funny though, cold weather has gone in the opposite direction.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Wellesbourne hit 31C for our highest official reading I believe.

Heathrow 31.6C. Seems odds on we’ll probably see a 33C in the next few days. Looks like a really gorgeous week coming up! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
8 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Heathrow 31.6C. Seems odds on we’ll probably see a 33C in the next few days. Looks like a really gorgeous week coming up! 

Unlikely, this is going to be the warmest day of the spell. Might scrape a couple more 30s though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
26 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Or the last week of July 2019 for that matter. Hottest ever day on record on 25th July 2019, 38.7°C at Cambridge Botanical Gardens! Recorded 33°C here. What a scorcher that day was!

That day wasn't as hot here on the coast, around 30c, last August had 33c 4 days on the bounce, unheard of for this location.

Posted
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Interesting to note how low 1990 is in this list. Often named as one of the best summers in recent times. Skewed I think by the highest temp on record for the time happening 3 August. From memory June was quite cool and cloudy, and the summer only really got going around mid July. Mind the second half of July was consistently dry very warm and sunny and August was very decent. A rare incidence when best weather came during school holidays. 

As said expect 2021 to climb a few places in the week ahead. 2021 might end up an episodic summer with some notably lengthy spells of excellent summer weather but equally spells of poor weather..  quite interesting as we haven't had many such summers in recent times. 

1990 is overrated, IMO at least up here

This was a shocker of a day and was mid August 1990

NOAA_1_1990081606_1.png

Max of 13.8C at Manchester Airport

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Sad story.  This was Jesse.  He was a semi feral who arrived in my garden.  I converted my summerhouse into a cat pen and caught him in there, he was so scared and feral we needed the crush cage to handle him.  I had him neutered and spent a good 2 months taming him.  He turned into a lovely loving little boy who would run down the garden to greet me.  Sadly he developed FIP I had to have him pts he was only about 18 months old.  At the time FIP was untreatable but I think they now have a drug that can treat it.   I was devastated to have lost him after turning him from a feral. 

Very sad to hear. He was a beautiful boy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
3 hours ago, Snowycat said:

My 5 cats are flopped everywhere not knowing where to put themselves.  I foster cats also for a local rescue and do struggle to keep my cat pen cool in this sort of heat even with sun umbrellas over it  Thankfully I have no fosters in at the moment to worry about.  It usually has mummy and newborn kittens in at this time of year. 

Yep same here both Borders just flopping all day trying to find a cooler area to relax.. Haven't even attempted to walk them past 2 days.

IMG_20210718_182818.thumb.jpg.346da5fcc90c10615006506fc2401883.jpgIMG_20210718_182944.thumb.jpg.0728923cd264a06065b18a7467b64cb3.jpg

Great weather for Hay making though, All the local farmers are at it. Glad I gave it up years ago as sat in a cab with no air-con and covered in dust loading barns out till 2am wasn't fun.. Apart from the beers after!

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Unlikely, this is going to be the warmest day of the spell. Might scrape a couple more 30s though.

The models now pumping out 33C mon-wed and 32C Thursday. Meto going for 32C everyday. 

Posted

What a wonderful day.

im hoping we can squeeze one more hot day out on Friday so I can have a bbq and some booze after work.

Posted

Regarding the hot vs cold debate I find it equally hard to warm up as I do to cool down - probably because I’m quite small.

I also have what I think is probably undiagnosed trigeminal myalgia and when it’s cold/blustery my face becomes a world of pain. I also get achey joints etc in the cold.

I will concede however working in my tin box office with no air con is pretty horrendous for the afternoon stretch. I then have to get in my black car with a busted air con which is much like getting inside an oven to drive home where the house is roasting hot too.

Thats when a cold shower feels amazing and then I just sit in the garden until bedtime and it’s magic.

• Like 1