Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Perfect weather not too hot not too cold...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
33 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Mid July to Mid August 2016 (apart from the plume on July 19th) was a very Atlantic dominated period here, temps generally around 15-20°C. The rest of the period was drier and sunnier than usual though, although by December 2016 it turned mild and cloudy.

Did you see frost on the pavement as well?

I was obviously south enough to be largely unaffected. Only the first two days and the third weekend brought unpleasant weather. The rest of the time was quite sunny down here. Good year for the balloon fiesta!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

April, probably the least Atlantic dominated month, May, March and September not far behind

This is why I have never gone along with the all too common saying "April Showers". April generally isn't a particularly wet month most of the time, especially in comparison to some of the other months.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
15 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This is why I have never gone along with the all too common saying "April Showers". April generally isn't a particularly wet month most of the time, especially in comparison to some of the other months.

April showers as opposed to April prolonged rain I think is the idea. Other than loitering lows, April’s slack conditions are more favoured to convective showery weather than the more persistent wet weather one might expect in autumn and winter.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Have to say I know I’m in the minority but I’m enjoying this cooler weather. Cooler indoors and better for sleeping. Put my nice cosy summer duvet back on the bed last night, was lovely and cosy. Couldn’t do that in June, much too warm for anything more than a blanket.

Nothing too warm on the horizon either so all good as far as I’m concerned.

Mmm I'm not a fan of excessive heat. For me that's 30 degrees and above, which we rarely ever see in the Lake District. However, I can take a few days in the high 20s, what I would call a heatwave here. Generally I prefer low 20s.. still bearable just for outdoor exercise. High teens is poor though in the height of summer.. I expect more in July and August even here in the cool Lakeland climes. Our average is 20-21 degrees. 17 or 18 degrees is poor only a few degrees milder than an average day in October. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm furious. The chap off BBC weather just confirmed Lapland. Yes LAPLAND was 34c today . Whilst Newcastle was 13c. What sort of puke infested, rubbish, horrendous, disgusting climate do we have? I reckon the Russians have put summat in the atmosphere.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I can feel a 38c week coming on in the period 4th to 11th August. That will teach you .

Not up here it won’t be.

1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

14c is not warm. It might be a tropical night out in Burnley

If there isn’t frost or ice on the ground then shorts of the order of the day up here!  Anything in double digits is considered tropical up here.... 14°C and the paddling pools are out!

9 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'm furious. The chap off BBC weather just confirmed Lapland. Yes LAPLAND was 34c today . Whilst Newcastle was 13c. What sort of puke infested, rubbish, horrendous, disgusting climate do we have? I reckon the Russians have put summat in the atmosphere.  

You serious or is this another wind up of yours?  I can never tell with your posts...

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Not up here it won’t be.

If there isn’t frost or ice on the ground then shorts of the order of the day up here!  Anything in double digits is considered tropical up here....

You serious or is this another wind up of yours?  I can never tell with your posts...

Well I am furious in a way. All sorts of places across Europe getting a summer. UK continues in dross mode. And to coin a phrase from an old Buzzcocks tune 'What Do I Get' ! So yeah I am serious. And fed up. 

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

10 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well I am furious in a way. All sorts of places across Europe getting a summer. UK continues in dross mode. And to coin a phrase from an old Buzzcocks tune 'What Do I Get' ! So yeah I am serious. And fed up. 

Just googled it and no you ain't kidding!

thought you were pulling my leg but nope!

Everywhere getting record heat except for us, what's going on??? It'll be Antarctica getting a winter heatwave next.... The penguins will be coming to Dudley!  (Or Markyo's house...)

GettyImages-935366154.jpg?resize=1200%2C
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

The region, Finland’s largest by surface, usually hosts records for the nation’s coldest temperatures.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Just googled it and no you ain't kidding!

Everywhere getting record heat except for us, what's going on??? It'll be Antarctica getting a winter heatwave next.... The penguins will be coming to Dudley!  (Or Markyo's house...)

GettyImages-935366154.jpg?resize=1200%2C
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

The region, Finland’s largest by surface, usually hosts records for the nation’s coldest temperatures.

Yes. As a heat fan. This sort of news gets me down. For me the window April -September offers the chance for UK to get a bit of warmth. So far in the 98 days since 1st April only 2 days have exceeded 25c (a modest temp really- you cant say it is extreme) . So 2 days out of 98. Rubbish.

Posted
18 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes. As a heat fan. This sort of news gets me down. For me the window April -September offers the chance for UK to get a bit of warmth. So far in the 98 days since 1st April only 2 days have exceeded 25c (a modest temp really- you cant say it is extreme) . So 2 days out of 98. Rubbish.

It’s been a very poor year for heat I must admit. Had plenty of days in the low 20s in June here but haven’t recorded anything above 23°C yet here (which I’m personally quite happy about). I don’t think April and May ever reached 20°C here which is quite unusual. 

Don’t worry, I’m sure will get a heatwave at some point this summer.

Btw, where was the weather report where that temperature record was mentioned? Was it on the local weather?

Posted

Weather forecast, Wednesday 7th July, 3 pm

Utsjoki, Finland - 30°C Partly Cloudy

Dudley, UK - 18°C Light Rain

Couldn't make it up could you?

IMG_1914.PNG

IMG_1915.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes it was a pretty dismal day in Newcastle and that general area of the UK today.  In Lincoln it was mainly cloudy and showery, but I did see more sunshine in between the showers after mid-afternoon. 

I found the second half of June depressing but have been quite enjoying July so far and am looking forward to tomorrow's thundery potential.  There's even a chance of a storm in my former location of Exeter tomorrow, though the chance is greater in the east of England.  However the "month so far" stats at http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/PREV.html do suggest that central southern and south-eastern England have largely had a continuation of the grim weather of late June so far this July, so I don't think some of the moaning in here is necessarily misplaced either. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Yes it was a pretty dismal day in Newcastle and that general area of the UK today.  In Lincoln it was mainly cloudy and showery, but I did see more sunshine in between the showers after mid-afternoon. 

I found the second half of June depressing but have been quite enjoying July so far and am looking forward to tomorrow's thundery potential.  There's even a chance of a storm in my former location of Exeter tomorrow, though the chance is greater in the east of England.  However the "month so far" stats at http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/PREV.html do suggest that central southern and south-eastern England have largely had a continuation of the grim weather of late June so far this July, so I don't think some of the moaning in here is necessarily misplaced either. 

Very difficult table to read I must say! Could do with some lines to make it more readable. And with the titles moving down as you scroll down as well so you don't lose your place.

Posted

All looking very averagey at the moment - mix of cloud, sunshine, rain and showers, temps high teens/low twenties.

IMG_1919.PNG

Posted

Everytime I check XCweather it's always Liverpool Airport with the warmest temperature. Currently 19c whilst everywhere else is around 13-16. It's normally the south where these warm temps are prevalent, not this year. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
24 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Very difficult table to read I must say! Could do with some lines to make it more readable. And with the titles moving down as you scroll down as well so you don't lose your place.

For some reason it linked to June's data, I meant this link for July:

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

I agree that the table isn't the easiest to follow.

Posted
3 hours ago, Frigid said:

Everytime I check XCweather it's always Liverpool Airport with the warmest temperature. Currently 19c whilst everywhere else is around 13-16. It's normally the south where these warm temps are prevalent, not this year. 

Ignore this station it’s not official and it had 30-31C in June. I compare to nearby PWS often 2C above.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

Another poor start to the day. Dull cloudy and not very summery at all in London.

We need some nice clear sunny mornings which lead to a nice warm or hot day. That’s what summer is about, not this rubbish.

Even if the temps are average or slightly above, it will still be poor as far as I’m concerned, if there’s no sunshine. This happened far too often during last July. 

• Like 2

Posted

I'm trying to remember the last time I woke up to a bright, sunny morning. Instead it's the usual dull, wet and the light is on again. Just horrible day after day. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, davehsug said:

I'm trying to remember the last time I woke up to a bright, sunny morning. Instead it's the usual dull, wet and the light is on again. Just horrible day after day. 

I don’t understand how so many people think this is acceptable weather for the middle of summer. Lol.

A co worker said to me the other day, ‘nice summers day’ and I said this isn’t summer mate. It’s a travesty just how bad it really is. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t understand how so many people think this is acceptable weather for the middle of summer. Lol.

A co worker said to me the other day, ‘nice summers day’ and I said this isn’t summer mate. It’s a travesty just how bad it really is. 

Indeed, I can cope with rain, I can live with showers, it can even be a bit breezy and cool, but please, some sunshine. It's the incessant total cloud cover, all day every day.

• Like 2