Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Cloudy and breezy all day and reached 17c what more could you want in summer? The south coast is the worst area for storms by a mile.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
7 hours ago, Alderc said:

Cold as hell here. 16C in mid afternoon in July is shocking.

16°C cold?

5 hours ago, markyo said:

Very humid and sticky today, for me the worst of the UK's types of weather. Hopefully next week will drive this vile humidity out a bit, it really is the most energy sapping crap we get.

I’m surprised as I thought you would enjoy this kind of weather. You certainly seemed happy yesterday. For me the temperature is much more important than the humidity. I’d much rather it was 20°C with 90% humidity than 30°C with 40% humidity.  It may be humid but get caught out in a torrential downpour and it will soon fix that!

5 hours ago, Nick L said:

Just to make it clear, moaning is perfectly acceptable in this thread, as it is literally in the topic of the title.

Moan away if you feel the need to!

I never said it wasn’t, just that it’s pointless because it won’t change the weather. But yes it’s nice to have a good moan now and again!

4 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes basically been rubbish apart from the odd day since 16th June. So 18 days since it was properly settled weather. Funny how the rest of Europe ,Canada ,Arctic Circle,Siberia all manage to get a summer whilst we get October-lite.

I’m sure Ireland, Iceland and Greenland are having a poor summer, as they always do. Anyway I’d much rather deal with cloud and rain and sub 20°C temps than 45°C heat like those poor folks over in Canada have had to deal with.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
38 minutes ago, tinybill said:

well  if the weather  right    weather  for the east is winds  60  mph  rain  on wednesday night  for the big match

Eh? I’m not seeing anything like that on bbc weather, forecast for London on Wednesday is “sunny intervals and a gentle breeze.”

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Borefest summer continues. Still no thunder in Guildford despite the forecast and potential over the weekend.  Guarantee that we will get the wind on Tuesday from the latest humdinger depression that will dominate through the week with yet more vile and tediously boring weather in central southern England that passes for a typical 'modern' summer. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Wow! Must have either been an exceptionally sunny month in December or an exceptionally dull month in June!

It’s still not looking as bad as last July. BBC Weather app is unsettled and in the high teens next week here (which is still better than this time last year here) and next week is forecast to be 20/21°C and mostly dry with a mix of sun/cloud which is fine by me.

What about summers that were warm, dry and sunny in all three summer months? The only examples I can think of are the extended summer of 1959 and the drought summer of 1995.

Maybe not quite all what you describe but some very close.

2003,1996,1995,1989,1984,1976,1959,1947,1933 and most certainly 1911

• Thanks 1

Posted

Going up to Stafford next Monday, my expectation of a thunderstorm or even thundery shower has massively increased! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

16°C cold?

I’m surprised as I thought you would enjoy this kind of weather. You certainly seemed happy yesterday. For me the temperature is much more important than the humidity. I’d much rather it was 20°C with 90% humidity than 30°C with 40% humidity.  It may be humid but get caught out in a torrential downpour and it will soon fix that!

I never said it wasn’t, just that it’s pointless because it won’t change the weather. But yes it’s nice to have a good moan now and again!

I’m sure Ireland, Iceland and Greenland are having a poor summer, as they always do. Anyway I’d much rather deal with cloud and rain and sub 20°C temps than 45°C heat like those poor folks over in Canada have had to deal with.

I would prefer 40c to 16c and insipdic cold rubbish.

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Maybe not quite all what you describe but some very close.

2003,1996,1995,1989,1984,1976,1959,1947,1933 and most certainly 1911

2006 was mostly warm throughout. Certainly June and July. August was near average from memory and quite cloudy. Don't recall it being very wet. 

Posted
53 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I would prefer 40c to 16c and insipdic cold rubbish.

Each to their own I guess.

2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Ireland , Iceland and Greenland. It comes to something when you have to compare Eastern Europe (which always gets a proper hot summer) to the the above. Basically its permanent October v Summer.

If it makes you feel better, St Johns in Newfoundland (on a similar latitude to the UK) is also having some crap weather. In fact at the moment (at 8 pm in Newfoundland) it is currently just 9°C and raining there! So things could be worse!

IMG_1895.PNG

• Like 1

Posted

Anyway doesn't look too bad this week in Dudley, Tuesday and Wednesday look a bit dodgy, sure, but Monday and Thursday are forecast to be 20/21°C with sunny intervals. Shorts and t-shirt weather! ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650839/day1

It could be worse, imagine if you were living up in Northern Scotland!

IMG_1896.PNG

IMG_1897.PNG

• Like 1

Posted

Video of the thunderstorm I had last night. ? Make sure your volume is turned up!!

?

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

16°C cold?

I don’t want the heat dome of 40c and above that western Canada has been having,  but 16c in high summer for Dorset is very poor. It always feels colder by the coast when the temp failed to exceed 21c, and with a breeze sitting on the beach even up to 23c can feel chilly in July.

London hasn’t been too bad,  and the weekend turned out better than expected. All I ask for is more blue sky clear days, something we’ve lacking since mid June.

Someone must have heard me, as it was dull when I woke up half hour ago, and now the sun is coming out.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

2006 was mostly warm throughout. Certainly June and July. August was near average from memory and quite cloudy. Don't recall it being very wet. 

August was a cloudy cool month in London, which kind of brought the summer down in 2006 for me.

June and July were nice and hot though.

A World Cup year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
12 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Ireland , Iceland and Greenland. It comes to something when you have to compare Eastern Europe (which always gets a proper hot summer) to the the above. Basically its permanent October v Summer.

Well it’s been bone dry here for the last month until a cracking thunderstorm yesterday so I’m not sure lumping us in with Greenland and Iceland is fair. Been an above average summer in this part of the world

Edited by Northwest NI
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

Well it’s been bone dry here for the last month until a cracking thunderstorm yesterday so I’m not sure lumping us in with Greenland and Iceland is fair. Been an above average summer in this part of the world

Must be quite a nice change for the se/ nw divide to be the opposite way round. Can't remember my last wet summer must be 2012 I think. Usually grass is dead around here this time of year but instead it's the greenest and longest I've ever seen it!

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Anyway doesn't look too bad this week in Dudley, Tuesday and Wednesday look a bit dodgy, sure, but Monday and Thursday are forecast to be 20/21°C with sunny intervals. Shorts and t-shirt weather! ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650839/day1

It could be worse, imagine if you were living up in Northern Scotland!

IMG_1896.PNG

IMG_1897.PNG

Hmmmmmm... if you could just get that 21c up to about 24/25 c then I might consider the shorts !

Posted
2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Hmmmmmm... if you could just get that 21c up to about 24/25 c then I might consider the shorts !

You must not wear shorts very often in the UK then...I'm happy wearing them from about 19C up although will sometimes wear a hoodie or zip up jumper on top if it's cloudy.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

You must not wear shorts very often in the UK then...I'm happy wearing them from about 19C up although will sometimes wear a hoodie or zip up jumper on top if it's cloudy.

I don't.  Because it is never warm enough!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
9 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Depends on the wind for me. I’d wear shorts in 15 degrees if it’s still. Been wearing them entire month of June but it’s always been hi teens low twenties.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Northwest NI said:

Depends on the wind for me. I’d wear shorts in 15 degrees if it’s still. Been wearing them entire month of June but it’s always been hi teens low twenties.

To be fair. It was quite an acceptable feel to weather over the weekend particularly Saturday. Although there was the odd shower it was muggy humid and felt warm. I did have the old shorts on when I went out for the England match!

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I don't.  Because it is never warm enough!

I only wore them a few days in June because the temp was above 24c. Anything below 24c doesn’t feel warm enough for shorts.

Or should I say, I can still probably wear shorts between 22-24c, but rather wear summer slacks. 

My legs are too skinny looking, so I never feel comfortable wearing shorts in London. Down by the coast it’s a different story.