Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

removed comment

Edited by Atmogenic

43 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Not everyone likes hot weather. Plenty might be quite pleased about the output. Impartiality

I do honestly get that not everyone likes 30C+ but what about the people who physically struggle in temperatures less than 20C which we have to suffer 9/10months per year. Having had a couple of serious back injuries any hint of anything remotely chilly and my back ceases up makes things like golf almost impossible outside summer months. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I do honestly get that not everyone likes 30C+ but what about the people who physically struggle in temperatures less than 20C which we have to suffer 9/10months per year. Having had a couple of serious back injuries any hint of anything remotely chilly and my back ceases up makes things like golf almost impossible outside summer months. 

It’s the same on here every single year though. In winter everybody has to like really cold weather; any mention of mild and the wolfpack surround you from all sides and just chuck mud at you and berate you for being a party pooper.

In summer you aren’t allowed to show any dislike for low pressure and rain dominated weather, even if it’s what the bloody charts are showing for the next week or two  one rule for one season and one rule for another, ad infinitum.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s the same on here every single year though. In winter everybody has to like really cold weather; any mention of mild and the wolfpack surround you from all sides and just chuck mud at you and berate you for being a party pooper.

In summer you aren’t allowed to show any dislike for low pressure and rain dominated weather, even if it’s what the bloody charts are showing for the next week or two  one rule for one season and one rule for another, ad infinitum.

It's wasn't the intention of my post to wind anyone up.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

It's wasn't the intention of my post to wind anyone up.

Not directed you at all @Paul_1978. I know your post wasn't intended that way. Just a general observation of nearly 20 years reading and posting on weather forums. People on here just like the winter and don't really care about summer or people who enjoy it, it's just a fact. I'm just speaking for the majority of this country who prefer a nice summer rather than a washout, but that just goes against the grain here. You must be a winter sheep. Ramp away all you like in November to March without consequence or grief.

I'd bet if you asked 100 people on the street would you rather a day in July was 24c and sunny or 15c, dull and wet I'd bet 80%+ would choose the sunshine.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Not directed you at all @Paul_1978. I know your post wasn't intended that way. Just a general observation of nearly 20 years reading and posting on weather forums. People on here just like the winter and don't really care about summer or people who enjoy it, it's just a fact. I'm just speaking for the majority of this country who prefer a nice summer rather than a washout, but that just goes against the grain here. You must be a winter sheep. Ramp away all you like in November to March without consequence or grief.

I'd bet if you asked 100 people on the street would you rather a day in July was 24c and sunny or 15c, dull and wet I'd bet 80%+ would choose the sunshine.

Similarly, if you asked if they preferred 24C or 34C, most would choose 24C.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I get that, 34C is pretty warm. Most people’s ideal day would be between 22 & 28C. Give me a day of 26-28C clear skies and no wind and you’d here no complaints. That said would have just as much fun in 46C ??

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm sure they probably would. Even I wouldn't want 34c every day.

Just something more akin to the time of year. This is the view out of my window again.....another day with zero sun. 14c and cloudy, could pretty much be any month of the year in these conditions. Let alone the height of summer.

sky.thumb.jpg.a676091b67e42baa4b3a205e97247e2d.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Let’s try and sustain 24C for a few days before we shoot for 34C!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

The answers you get will depend somewhat on the preceeding weather. If we were going through a 1976 type severe drought and standpipes in the street were a real possibility, I suspect you'd get a few more preferences for the latter, particularly from farmers.

I enjoy sunshine and warmth as long as it isn't oppressive, but I don't relish weeks of it uninterrupted because occasional rain is useful for watering my crops. Shifting 100 litres of water when it is still 27C in the evening is hard work and not much fun. That was the annoying thing about the 2018 summer, and spring 2020, the bone dry weather went on for weeks, and even a cubic meter of stored rainwater on my allotment only got me halfway through the dry spells.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Everytime the sun threatens to break though the cloud rolls back in...so frustrating. Last night felt very much more like late september early October in terms of dullness

• Like 1

Posted

I think i had more sun in winter than I've seen in the last 10 days, it really has been very cloudy and down in the SE very wet as well.

2nd half of June has been as close to a write off down here as you can get. Areas further north have done better I guess.

1st half of July isn't looking great either on the sunshine front, maybe a bit better for the SE as the lp shifts further north, but we could be looking at a very dull 30 day period still considering we are at peak sunlight hours at the moment.

The only upshot I can see is itd be very rare to get the same pattern all summer, though there is a risk it all gets shunted into sept/oct though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

If the first tercile of July does turn out a bit el crapo then I just hope we can get a second half of summer along the lines of 2016.

• Like 1

Posted

Well by 2021's standards we have just crept up into "summer" with a 20.4c ... I should feel very lucky!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

It's freezing and feels like November in London! Could do with my thick winter coat right now. 

This is shaping up to be an awful summer so far IMBY..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

id take 34c right now seems positively Autumnal compared to what i have now 

Posted

Quite enjoying this cool damp weather to be honest. Plenty of time yet for hot sticky weather in London. Though 17c and drizzle on last day in June is pushing it slightly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hoping that the breakdown to more unsettled weather here might come with a bit more sunshine - certainly the latest GFS and ECMWF runs are going for an emphasis on sunshine mixed with thundery showers.  I appreciate that further south it will probably end up largely blending in with the unsettled spell they've been having since mid-June, while in the north-west it will be the breakdown of a warm sunny spell, though.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

It's freezing and feels like November in London! Could do with my thick winter coat right now. 

We had a decent spell of fine weather to start the month, and whilst nothing too impressive compared with the multiple 30+ days seen in recent years, it wasn't bad.

This last two weeks though have been utterly dreadful down here, I'm struggling to remember a more dull mid-late June period to be honest down here and its more than blotted out that previous spell of fine weather...

Hopefully we can shift towards a pattern that is better for the whole country, though I fear we may have to go through a couple more weeks of dire weather to get there.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
22 hours ago, al78 said:

The advection fog thanks to the cold ocean current along the coast is maybe one thing a resident would complain about, if it is the type that persists for days at a time in summer.

Yet if they drove 50 miles east they’d probably be running back and wishing they’d stayed in SAN Francisco. Would rather have 60°F (15°C) and fog than 100°F (38°C) and blazing hot sun.

19 hours ago, Alderc said:

Correct, I drove to San Fran from Yosemite. Once we are out of the mountains it was mid 90s until about 10miles out. Was low 60s and overcast in the city and a massive shock especially after 124f just four days earlier in Desth Valley! 

Give me 62°F and cloud over 100°F+ and sun any day.

9 hours ago, simshady said:

Hopefully things cooling down, plenty of rain, then straight into Autumn.

Erm. It’s the U.K... Autumn is 11 months of the year!

7 hours ago, Nick L said:

Another grey morning. Classic.

Yup. Can’t beat a cloudy morning in England! The sun is up north at the moment.

7 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Ofc, this weather would come at a time when the vast majority of us cannot travel freely. If COVID didnt exist, me and my friend would've currently be in Japser in the Canadian Rockies in the midst of the ridiculous 40 degree heatwave they're having

Count yourself lucky. Would rather deal with an Orkney summer and the negative effects that brings (depression) than 40-45 degree heat and all the problems that brings (fire, drought, risk of heat exhaustion, can’t go anywhere without melting etc). At least with an Orkney Summer the depressing gloom and rain would be offset to some degree by the beautiful scenery and long daylight hours.

6 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

January May July October....spot the difference...

Mostly daylight hours and sun height/strength in the U.K.

6 hours ago, Alderc said:

Sorry if I’m being insensitive, but can’t you just put on a thick coat/lots of warm clothing and just suck it up?

I mean I can put on a thick winter duvet and feel hotter than I would do in a 30°C heatwave. I can choose to feel as hot as I want. If I wanted to make it feel like 50°C all I’d have to do is put on a thermal vest, 2 t-shirts, a thick jumper, 2 hoodies and a thick winter coat and it would feel like being in the equator. Easy. On the other hand, keeping cool is more difficult. You can be naked at 30°C and still too hot, and most of the time being naked is not practical, legal or socially acceptable. Thermal comfort isn’t just dictated by the weather. It’s much more to do with clothing. Otherwise polar expeditions wouldn’t work. I don’t get this “it’s too cold to do anything argument”. Just put on a friggin’ jumper for gods sake! It’s not like it’s sub zero. You can still go out and do stuff if it’s a bit cool.

5 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Yes, the site has a massive cold bias. Always has done, always will do. I’m unusual in that I’m a weather enthusiast but my weather preferences are for what most weather enthusiasts would call quite boring conditions: In summer I like a happy medium, not a washout, but not a heatwave either, a good mix of rain, sun, thunder and comfortable temperatures in the low twenties/high teens. In winter the milder the better. I actually love a mild, wet, stormy winter, can’t stand frost or ice. I do love snow as well though, but I don’t like cold weather, I’ll admit that. 

As my weather presences in my profile state: I like it “not too hot and not too cold”.

That said the majority of users on here seem to prefer 22°C+ and sunshine in summer, with quite a few preferring 30°C over 20°C.

Slight over exaggeration? It’s currently 17°C in London, November daytime average in London is around 12°C, more like an early October day in London I’d say. If 17°C is winter coat weather for you, then how do you manage in winter, when it’s only 7°C? I would boil in a winter coat at 17°C. I’ve never worn a winter coat in anything higher than about 12°C. Never. I can’t understand anyone who does.

1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Quite enjoying this cool damp weather to be honest. Plenty of time yet for hot sticky weather in London. Though 17c and drizzle on last day in June is pushing it slightly.

Not a surprise it’s cool and damp as you live right next to Wimbledon!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted

Anyway, it’s another nice day here, sunny intervals and 22°C. Plenty warm enough for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Freezing? It is around 18-19C which is below average, but hardly freezing. You don't need to exaggerate to say the SE had had a dreadful second half of June. In contrast when I was in touch with my father up in Salford on Fathers day, he said the soil in his garden was like concrete, hardly a drop of rain up there.

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes, the site has a massive cold bias. Always has done, always will do. I’m unusual in that I’m a weather enthusiast but my weather preferences are for what most weather enthusiasts would call quite boring conditions: In summer I like a happy medium, not a washout, but not a heatwave either, a good mix of rain, sun, thunder and comfortable temperatures in the low twenties/high teens. In winter the milder the better. I actually love a mild, wet, stormy winter, can’t stand frost or ice. I do love snow as well though, but I don’t like cold weather, I’ll admit that. 

I think the problem is for the SE it HAS been something close to a washout in the last 10 days. As I have previously said I think I must be well over 2x the monthly average, and thats whilst missing most of the convective stuff, some places nearby could easily be upto 3x the average now, and nearly all pof that has fallen in the last 2 weeks, which is some going obviously! I'm sure it will balance out at some point, but its been bleak down here for sure.

The problem with a stormy winter is its nearly always gloomy and bleak with it, and as someone who has had depression, thats an utterly killer for mood when daylight hours are so low anyways.

Personally I'm an extremes lover, something which happens less often or breaks records is something I'm interested in. Its why mild weather in winter bores me because we can get the 10-14c range for pretty much 9 months of the year anyways, where as the much colder stuff is really limited to Dec-Mar, even cold Aprils like the one just gone rarely are *that* cold, especially during the daytime. Storms are more interesting, but one or two good wind storms can not alleviate 2-3 months of mild grey cloudy rubbish you often get with such winters.

EDIT - I'd have been content with the weather you've been having up there, doesn't always need to be hot, but sunshine goes an awfully long way to making things feel nice and warm, even if the air temp isn't anything special. In contrast it has felt a touch chilly down here at times in the last few weeks.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think the problem is for the SE it HAS been something close to a washout in the last 10 days. As I have previously said I think I must be well over 2x the monthly average, and thats whilst missing most of the convective stuff, some places nearby could easily be upto 3x the average now, and nearly all pof that has fallen in the last 2 weeks, which is some going obviously! I'm sure it will balance out at some point, but its been bleak down here for sure.

The problem with a stormy winter is its nearly always gloomy and bleak with it, and as someone who has had depression, thats an utterly killer for mood when daylight hours are so low anyways.

Personally I'm an extremes lover, something which happens less often or breaks records is something I'm interested in. Its why mild weather in winter bores me because we can get the 10-14c range for pretty much 9 months of the year anyways, where as the much colder stuff is really limited to Dec-Mar, even cold Aprils like the one just gone rarely are *that* cold, especially during the daytime. Storms are more interesting, but one or two good wind storms can not alleviate 2-3 months of mild grey cloudy rubbish you often get with such winters.

EDIT - I'd have been content with the weather you've been having up there, doesn't always need to be hot, but sunshine goes an awfully long way to making things feel nice and warm, even if the air temp isn't anything special. In contrast it has felt a touch chilly down here at times in the last few weeks.

Yeah I agree with you, 10-14°C and cloud is boring at any time of year, but 10-14°C and sun feels pleasant in the spring. A sunny day in winter can boost the mood, as can a sunny day in summer, as long as it isn’t blazing hot. Last winter was really poor for Atlantic storms though. I like a variety of weather, a mix of sun, snow and storms in winter and a mix of sun, rain and thunderstorms in the summer. The boring cloudy “nothing days“  in between are just a filler.  In winter 5-10°C is ideal, in summer 18-22°C is ideal (for me.)

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1