Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

We are all different here in the way we percieve our summer preferences.Personally i like my summers hot even though we only recieve two of these per decade if we are lucky but i have been looking forward to a very warm and sunny August since 2003 we got part way there in 2018 but that is about as near as we have got certainly Here in the Pennines.It is just disappointing when us warm lovers realise yet another year has gone by and yet another year of garbage,for August anyway.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Well, summer's well and truly done for this year now folks - here's to summer 2022! Lowest August max temp on record here I suspect.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

I agree, that week on my travels every single person was saying the say thing, heat and humidity was not liked as far as the folk i meet with. And that experience covered approx 2/3rds of England and Wales. Can't comment on Scotland as i wasn't there.

You seem to like heat as your profile says ...

Weather Preferences

Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

You seem to like heat as your profile says ...

Weather Preferences

Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it

Interesting is the adjective used don't forget...

Posted

It's NOT about the heat it's about the SUN I repeat  ...It's NOT about the heat it's about the SUN

It's NOT about the heat it's about the SUN I repeat  ...It's NOT about the heat it's about the SUN

Got it? ... Good ...

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Interesting is the adjective used don't forget...

Under the title that says weather PREFERENCES

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Under the title that says weather PREFERENCES

Oh dear god...your just not getting it, better leave it that ok.

Posted
1 hour ago, simshady said:

I feel sorry for you, I really do, but you have to face the fact that the U.K. isn't southern France or Spain. This is the weather we get and there's no point in crying over it. It just is. There's always next summer, lol.

Yeah, even you will have to acknowledge it’s been a poor summer. Many days of very cloudy dreary weather. 

I don’t expect 3-4 months of cloudless days, but I would love at least 3-4 weeks of settled warm sunny weather. We’ve not been able to achieve that this year. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

Have to say this is one judgemental bigoted comment.  Not liking being cooked alive or burnt to a frazzle by the heat and sun does not automatically = unhealthy people or unhealthy life styles.  Mums friend is in end stage heart failure on piped oxygen in his home.  He’d have something very terse to say to you about that comment I am sure…… he found the heat very difficult to cope with.

I’m sorry to hear that, but we could be having the same debate with someone who struggles when temps are hovering around 12c in winter time, which is classed as mild, but will still feel cold if the atmosphere is damp. Some people will say they can wear a t shirt in that weather, while others are freezing in their flats, and struggle to keep warm. 

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

We are all different here in the way we percieve our summer preferences.Personally i like my summers hot even though we only recieve two of these per decade if we are lucky but i have been looking forward to a very warm and sunny August since 2003 we got part way there in 2018 but that is about as near as we have got certainly Here in the Pennines.It is just disappointing when us warm lovers realise yet another year has gone by and yet another year of garbage,for August anyway.

And this is something the cool summer weather people don’t seem to understand.

They think we should be under the damp dreary cloud all year round, without anything above 25c. 

We get plenty of rubbish weather between Late September and March/early April. 

I think people who moaned about it being too hot for one week in July, was a little over the top. We didn’t get a long hot spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I think some of you need a refresher of the forum guidelines..

Well, it is the summer holidays so I suppose it was to be expected. 

Posted
48 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I don’t think anyone in southern England would say this has been a good summer…it’s been one of the worst In living memory, shocking 

Try telling that to Markyo. 

19c in mid to late august is not summer.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I think poor or good summer is very much in the eye of the beholder. For me who doesn't particularly like heat then this summer has been fine, plenty of warm days and not a washout. Apart from that hot week in July it's been a decent summer for me. My only complaint? Absolutely rubbish for thunderstorms compared to last year. 

• Like 1

Zero chances have been taken with next summer. 5 weeks abroad booked from late May to Mid August. Only an severe escalation of the COVID situation will stop me filling my boots with warmth and heat. 

Posted

Just for info we had an awful dry  very cold April and wet cold May with lots of  fresh snow on the mountains in both months.Cherries produced nothing with blossom frosted and most fruit trees have smaller crops Many trees had buds blackened in -2c gale around the 6th of April.But a switch was flicked about  the 1st of June and we had  a fabulous June and July (on a par with 1976 with only one overnight period of severe thundrstorms  on the 27/28th July ) with drought  eventually taking  hold resulting in high quality hay and silage crops and this last week some high quality spring  barley harvested. Neeps have developed long tap roots as they grew down the soil profile looking for water . August has been a bit more mixed but not exccessively wet  still with enough dry days to make progress on the farm. Had one meal a day outside in most of June and July a bit unheard of up here.Cattle did extremely well as they were lying flat out in the sun a lot of the time even today in light showery rain when it reached 23c in mid afternoon.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
20 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Zero chances have been taken with next summer. 5 weeks abroad booked from late May to Mid August. Only an severe escalation of the COVID situation will stop me filling my boots with warmth and heat. 

Well mate for someone who spends so much of his time moaning about the UK conditions,I would consider yourself very privileged to be able to spend 5 weeks abroad! I can't afford 5 days in a boarding house

I can imagine it now...5 weeks abroad...as soon as you land you will be on meteociel and be thinking...sod this,I'm off back.

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

IMO, preferences only form part of the equation. The other half is about embracing (or perhaps desiring) the 'seasonality' of whatever time of year it is. For instance, I'm a warm weather lover, but I despite it when we really mild and wet weather in Ian or Feb...because its winter, I want it to be FEELING like winter. I want it to be frigid, frosty and cold. Its not just about my individual preference.

Likewise, when its summer, I desire it to be SUNNY and warm (insofar as possible in the UK). Continuous weeks of cool, but moreover, cloudy / sunless and damp weather, is just not 'summery' in any way, regardless of one's personal preferences of hot or cold. 

Nobody is saying we should be having weeks on end of 30+ degrees in the UK. We dont have that type of climate, and quite frankly that's uncomfortable even for a hot weather fan such as myself. But it's the sheer lack of sunlight throughout this summer, in the south of England at least, that is the main point of contention this year. There's no seasonality to it. It could be March or November outside of the slightly warmer temps.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
11 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

IMO, preferences only form part of the equation. The other half is about embracing (or perhaps desiring) the 'seasonality' of whatever time of year it is. For instance, I'm a warm weather lover, but I despite it when we really mild and wet weather in Ian or Feb...because its winter, I want it to be FEELING like winter. I want it to be frigid, frosty and cold. Its not just about my individual preference.

Likewise, when its summer, I desire it to be SUNNY and warm (insofar as possible in the UK). Continuous weeks of cool, but moreover, cloudy / sunless and damp weather, is just not 'summery' in any way, regardless of one's personal preferences of hot or cold. 

Nobody is saying we should be having weeks on end of 30+ degrees in the UK. We dont have that type of climate, and quite frankly that's uncomfortable even for a hot weather fan such as myself. But it's the sheer lack of sunlight throughout this summer, in the south of England at least, that is the main point of contention this year. There's no seasonality to it. It could be March or November outside of the slightly warmer temps.

Don't think to put me in the warm camp in this forum of warm V cold,yes i like my summers hot but i also like snow in winter.A perfect year for me would be 1947,snow until April followed by a very long hot extended summer.You are right though about the year round garbage,we seem to be having mild in winter and cold in summer in fact i think it has been colder on midsummers day than midwinters day twice in recent years which is absolutely ridiculous but for me August is not 14 deg with cloud and drizzle which greeted me on the East coast just a few days ago!

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I don’t think anyone in southern England would say this has been a good summer…it’s been one of the worst In living memory, shocking 

Total rubbish.  Should be ashamed to call it self a summer!

• Like 4

Posted

Was hoping for September to save us and for it to be a scorcher, but if the high retrogresses every chance we'll be digging out the sweaters rather than the sunblock – a northerly plunge more likely than a plume...

Edited by Mac_SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I don't like high temperatures (e.g. the week in July) but the general cloudy unsettled crapness of this summer is highly undesirable as well. Again, it is not a case of wanting one extreme or another, it is enjoying moderation, and four months of crapness is not moderation. This summer has been an endurance test which is really not needed after a year and a half of pandemic restrictions, and to extract the urine to the max the weekends have been particularly bad since early May. There are only two good things about this summer. Firstly, the first half of June and the second week of August was quite decent and the heatwave, although uncomfortable, was uplifting from the sunshine perspective. Secondly, I nailed one of the best week's weather for my hiking trip in the Scottish highlands late May/early June, which had followed a month of cool unsettled cloudy crud. It is rare I can say one of my best weeks weather of the summer was when I was in Scotland given I live in SE England, which says a lot about the SE England summer this year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Been looking and feeling more and more like Autumn now, but you just know September will have something up its sleeve.

How likely is a 90F reading in the UK in September I wonder?

Posted

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

1941 236

2014 236

1970 235

1969 234

1973 234

1999 234

2021 233 (up to 20th Aug)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
11 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Got it? ... Good ...

Quite a few people on here seem to have trouble understanding this one key point. Most of us summer lovers are not after months of 30°C+ temperatures, just plenty of sunny days where one can enjoy the outdoors to the max and where the depressing grey gloom endured for much of the rest of the year disappears for a while. Not difficult to understand, really.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1