Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

I'm one of these stubborn refuse to be beaten types,so I'm sitting in the garden, enjoying the grey laden skies!. Surely this is the greyest summer ever?. And every, flipping day, it seems to rain. I know they are suffering ridiculous temps, in southern Europe, but couldn't a little bit of that move our way?. What have we done to the gods to deserve this crud!. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

Today on the 16th of August 2021 the Sea Temperature is warmer than the Air Temperature (here at least)

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Guys, this isn't the thread (or anywhere else) to bemoan the quality of posts elsewhere. If you're not happy with the quality of posts in the model thread then either a) don't read it or b) make positive contributions in there yourself. 

It was just an observation Nick , but your comments have been duly noted.

Qualified Civil Engineer, IT Manager, ISO 9001 Quality Assurance Manager

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Having an exceptional summer here..have now recorded 20 days of 30c or above since 1st June and 47 days of above 25c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 16/08/2021 at 13:55, Bigdaddydave51 said:

I'm one of these stubborn refuse to be beaten types,so I'm sitting in the garden, enjoying the grey laden skies!. Surely this is the greyest summer ever?. And every, flipping day, it seems to rain. I know they are suffering ridiculous temps, in southern Europe, but couldn't a little bit of that move our way?. What have we done to the gods to deserve this crud!. 

The thing is….for all of these heatwaves to happen, somewhere else has to have a load of old tripe to compensate. I think the UK has bailed Europe out more than enough on this front! 

• Like 2

Posted

On a more optimistic note .. The monthly outlook from one of the main players, updated today has not changed since last Friday's update, instilling a little more confidence in the modelling as it unravels the North East Atlantic pattern in the mid term outlook.
image.thumb.png.78418512bf229f5d80fe8202ab933e14.png

• Like 1

Posted

At 16:03 this afternoon the sun appeared from behind the omnipresent cold and gloom. At 16:04 it dissapeared again. But so far today NO RAIN. However I will now be doing a rain dance as proceedings at Lords cricket ground have taken a distinct turn for the worse from an England perspective.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Having an exceptional summer here..have now recorded 20 days of 30c or above since 1st June and 47 days of above 25c

I’m so pleased for you. 

Here in Lincs we’re into our 248th day of grey and 17 degrees. Ooooh I must go, the sun just came out. 

Edited by HellItsHot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

This will go down as being one of the many poor Augusts we have had in recent times - the second half of August is looking just as meh as the first.

From a personal point of view, there have been many pleasant days so far in my neck of the woods and it hasn't really rained THAT much. But from a meterological point of view it has indeed been quite bland with nothing remotely interesting to offer. I would have liked to have an August similar to last year's which had more of a variety with a few hot days and fairly widespread thunderstorms.

As mentioned previously, I am ready for the season of mellowness now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Real conflict in predicted temperatures for the next few days between ITV and BBC national forecasts. 

Lunchtime BBC forecast with 'Betty' said temps will be 'disappointing' for August showing not much above 20c but should be 'nearer to 20 to 24c nationwide' (only in London do we get anywhere near an average of 24c in the 2nd half of August and even that is at a push). Teatime on ITV (yes I know) mentioned possibly 22/23 or possibly 24c in sunny areas!! but both agreeing that it will be somewhat warmer towards the end of the week.

Annoyingly BBC website continues to be about as useful as an ashtray on a back of a motorbike, a few days ago before the weekend for the weekend I had 21/22c for my location and sunny spells in reality we got up to 23.5/24c, for today (Monday) at the weekend it forecasted sunny spells and 21c - and we haven't reached 20c today with brief rain and some sun only in the last hour or so, wrong again!

Rant over...not sure if it should be in this thread.

By the way this August in my opinion has been distinctly average, some rain (not much from showers), generally breezy, some cloud with temps near or fractionally above average, people do like to moan - wait until we do have a bad summer month, this isn't one! (so far).

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
16 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

About to get seriously whacked here by the look of things.Constant lightning and increasing thunder approaching from Austria. 

Please bring some of that over here. We could do with livening up our weather a bit. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Something has got to give surely, I have never known it be so gloomy for such a period of time or such a poor summer, now I know how Scotland usually feels in summer.

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Something has got to give surely, I have never known it be so gloomy for such a period of time or such a poor summer, now I know how Scotland usually feels in summer.

At least they get decent winters, we can't even claim that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

At least they get decent winters, we can't even claim that. 

True, I'm just hoping we will get some decent windstorms in the south this year seeing as low pressure has often been stuck over the south in summer ?‍♀️  

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted

Is it actually allowed to confirm that summer ends this month.

With that being only 2 weeks away, is it okay for some to say that, to them it never got started and the continuous jam tomorrow charts posted at day 10 will soon be showing in September....And that is Autumn!

Expect to see some magical movements of goal posts soon, with September to become the late August...

Posted
10 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Is it actually allowed to confirm that summer ends this month.

With that being only 2 weeks away, is it okay for some to say that, to them it never got started and the continuous jam tomorrow charts posted at day 10 will soon be showing in September....And that is Autumn!

Expect to see some magical movements of goal posts soon, with September to become the late 

The one week of summer ended 22nd July for me.

So far the max temp this month has been a pathetic 22.5C which is just about average, I  have to say I can’t see where a 25C is coming from either. Could be tricky to find the last summer month not reach 25C and looks like we are heading for a summer month . The lack of 25C days has been extraordinary this year, no 30C, only one half plume type storm, below average sunshine every month. 

So much for a dry week, heavy drizzle Sunday, drizzle yesterday more drizzle today, the worst summer in decade continues to spray us with its crap! 

Posted

Mid somerset had a long break in the clouds after about 3.30 yesterday making the rest of the day sunny and pleasant, which was a nice surprise. It seems very localised- if you are lucky to get a break it warms up but otherwise loads of cloud about for many areas.

I do remember an August much worse than this about six years ago where the cloud was incessantly low and thick with heavy rain - and much colder than presently- 14C 15C max some days. This isn’t great but it’s better than then.

Edited by Jon Somerset

Next summer will likely be worse and the ones after that. As the world heats and the system gains in energy the UK will likely receive more rain, wind, muck and less sunshine. Yes when it's hot it will be hotter but heatwaves with longevity will become rare.

We have only ourselves to blame, and payment for destroying the natural world.

Edited by DCee

Posted
12 minutes ago, DCee said:

Next summer will likely be worse and the ones after that. As the world heats and the system gains in energy the UK will likely receive more rain, wind, muck and less sunshine. Yes when it's hot it will be hotter but heatwaves with longevity will become rare.

We have only ourselves to blame, and payment for destroying the natural world.

I don’t put this poor summer down to climate change, although the amount of cloud in the atmosphere could be a side affect of that. This summer has been the worst since 2017, even possibly the worst one in general since 2012. At least with summer 17, we got some decent overnight storms, and a longer hot spell in June to july, also the April and May that year was sunnier and warmer.

2021 has been abysmal. It all went downhill with the cold wet and dull May in my opinion, while the April was cold,  but at least it was sunny. 

Looking back now, it would appear that late May until mid June, and the third week of July was the best summer weather for most of the country. 3 weeks of sunny blue sky days, with only a sprinkling of nice sunny warmish days in between and since then, but mostly sunny days accompanied by cloud.

Its been a disappointing summer.