Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

8 minutes ago, markyo said:

Normal supply and demand there. Not sure were the grubby caravans come in though!

Plenty of grubby caravan parks around here. 

Posted

I got extremely lucky with my booked camping trip back in that hot week in June. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who has had to holiday in the U.K. this summer. Utterly woeful. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Snipper said:

Has  anyone else suffered from early tomato blight this year?  I have. About a month earlier than usual.  Been plotting blight for years. Usually it is early September. Had to pull up and dump 30 odd tomato plants today. 

How go your tomatoes?

Have blight on my potted toms but by snipping off affected leaves, it’s slowed the spread dramatically. It’s early this year here, too, after a wet and quite warm summer 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Yes, this year certainly hasn't all that great for homegrown crops. A dry and frosty April followed by a wet and soggy May, and 3 months later a very mediocre August.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Is tomatoes potatoes à hybrid plant?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
56 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Is tomatoes potatoes à hybrid plant?

Yes, they're called totatoes.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Yet another awful summers day here . Pouring down 

I’d say this is probably the worst summer I can remember in recent years. August especially 

Posted
18 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

I’d say this is probably the worst summer I can remember in recent years. August especially 

I think this is worse than some of those poor 80s ones. It may not be as cool, but the CET means nothing, if all you have is days on end of cloudy and damp conditions, in my book it’s still a very poor month and summer 2021 is definitely without question the worst summer probably since 2012, and going further back, only 2008, 2007, 2002, 1998 and 93 could be the years to compare it to. 

Even 2009 and 2010 were better, and they both had poor summer months. 

• Like 3

Posted

A couple of mm of welcome rain here, considering August with 21mm so far is 30% normal after July about 50% normal and June 25% normal
One of the better summers in the past ten  years with just adequate rain and plenty of dry fine weather.

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

You will have had less than 30mm of rain in Redcar this month I with would think, well below average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think this is worse than some of those poor 80s ones. It may not be as cool, but the CET means nothing, if all you have is days on end of cloudy and damp conditions, in my book it’s still a very poor month and summer 2021 is definitely without question the worst summer probably since 2012, and going further back, only 2008, 2007, 2002, 1998 and 93 could be the years to compare it to. 

I’ve seen people keep quoting the July CET and saying it hasn’t been that bad. It was just brought up by mild nights plagued with cloud. That other chart above showing how few days above 20c at Heathrow (lowest in that series) there have been all summer is a truer reflection.

All while I sit here and look out of the window at another day without 1 minute of sunshine.

F13A9DBF-9E96-4680-A980-CB43296E5046.thumb.jpeg.3834796137340c0a7fb93e29436c2fa1.jpeg

Summer 2021 in a chart

Posted
11 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes, this year certainly hasn't all that great for homegrown crops. A dry and frosty April followed by a wet and soggy May, and 3 months later a very mediocre August.

My tomatoes this year are an early fruiting variety and they’re my best crop ever . They reached their best point during the hot week so they ripened beautifully. I’m still picking them now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Azazel said:

I got extremely lucky with my booked camping trip back in that hot week in June. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who has had to holiday in the U.K. this summer. Utterly woeful. 

This time next week i'll be off ... Down Bournemouth way lol!

Posted
14 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Have blight on my potted toms but by snipping off affected leaves, it’s slowed the spread dramatically. It’s early this year here, too, after a wet and quite warm summer 

Yup my toms are all blighted too. I had some nice big fat fruit too *SOB*

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Looks like finally fresher air is on the way at long last. 

Huh? It’s been anything other than fresh? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I agree!

The Met Office can say it's been a 'warm' summer but this is a case where statistics aren't useful. I think most folk in the SE will agree this is one of the worst summers ever. So dull, wet and depressing.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

I think most folk in the SE will agree this is one of the worst summers ever.

That is probably true but a lot of the UK has had a decent if average summer, no horror show, rain below average, sunshine average. So overall not a bad summer away from the south coastal areas which is the inverse of most summers, that's the only reason so many are complaining i suspect

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
1 hour ago, 4wd said:

You will have had less than 30mm of rain in Redcar this month I with would think, well below average.

Probably be is but it’s been cloudy 90% of the time . Had one beech day this entire summer holiday 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

That is probably true but a lot of the UK has had a decent if average summer, no horror show, rain below average, sunshine average. So overall not a bad summer away from the south coastal areas which is the inverse of most summers, that's the only reason so many are complaining i suspect

Well, it certainly hasn't been 'one of the worst summers ever' around here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, it certainly hasn't been 'one of the worst summers ever' around here!

Hand on my heart with the travelling i do for work i would say 75% of the UK has had reasonable summer, not a great one i admit if prolonged heat is your love but for the UK as a whole not the horror show so many are painting.

• Like 4