Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I'd probably contact the Met Office about it to be honest. Might be a new cloud formation or something. I've yet to see it anyway!

It turned out to be a very short-lived event, whatever it was. A uniform grey again now and, of course, it's raining on another "dry" day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yep. This will be the 5th consecutive Saturday of utter puke by me. Yesterday BBC weather said Saturday dry but rain later in the evening. Now it just says bands of rain and showers all day and the temp downgraded from a half decent 22c to cold 19c. RUBBISH.

The rain has gradually been brought in earlier and earlier. Typical. It'll be over us all by lunchtime at this rate. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 19/08/2021 at 10:52, Sunny76 said:

If the Nino returns in 2022, that will probably mean a better summer with more heat, but winter 2022/23 will be a stinky mild one.

However, I will settle for a very mild winter during 22/23, if we get a nice hot sunny summer next year.

More than likely, odds on for a mild fest....

NDJ 1986 27.70 1.22
DJF 1987 27.76 1.23
JFM1987 27.95 1.19

...but a quick look back at the numbers for 1987 shows a strong El Nino in that winter, and we all know what happened in January!

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yep. This will be the 5th consecutive Saturday of utter puke by me. Yesterday BBC weather said Saturday dry but rain later in the evening. Now it just says bands of rain and showers all day and the temp downgraded from a half decent 22c to cold 19c. RUBBISH.

I've sometimes wondered what Dudley must look like on a wet day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The rain has gradually been brought in earlier and earlier. Typical. It'll be over us all by lunchtime at this rate. 

If it could speed up a bit more and clear before the afternoon that would be dandy 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I've sometimes wondered what Dudley must look like on a wet day.

Even more Dudley-er.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Crap over here, too, with grey grot, a strong wind and an underwhelming 21°C. 

5AF2E09A-5B34-47C2-988C-5ED0169606F6.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Yep i was right, there is vastly more moaning in the Summer thread than the Winter one!....very interesting.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It looks awful on a sunny day......

omg ha ha 

Is your name in reference to the Scream films? :)

Posted
26 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

omg ha ha 

Is your name in reference to the Scream films?

No. Sadly it is nothing as great as that. I am a fan of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC and one of our players is called Ruben NEVES who has been known to score the occasional goal known as a SCREAMER. Or a jolly good long range shot in to the top corner of the goal. Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

No. Sadly it is nothing as great as that. I am a fan of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC and one of our players is called Ruben NEVES who has been known to score the occasional goal known as a SCREAMER. Or a jolly good long range shot in to the top corner of the goal. Hope this helps! 

Oh ok

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I would strongly advise that you ignore ENSO forecasts more than a few months ahead. They are overly sensitive.

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

More than likely, odds on for a mild fest....

NDJ 1986 27.70 1.22
DJF 1987 27.76 1.23
JFM1987 27.95 1.19

...but a quick look back at the numbers for 1987 shows a strong El Nino in that winter, and we all know what happened in January!

One can never simply take an ENSO state as good or bad and it's important to remember that we got both Jan 10 and Dec 10 from opposite ENSO states.

Generally speaking my preferred outlook is a weak La Nina in combination with a -QBO and -PDO or a moderate EL NIno in combination with a -QBO and neutral PDO.

Weak El Nino runs too much risk of enhancing the energy available without forcing enough heat transport to generate a SSW (moderate Nino's produce standing waves to achieve that heat transport SSW or not. That enhanced energy without sufficient heat transport can produce some abysmal winters for us. 

Weak La Nina and -QBO is generally a safe pattern even without a SSW because the default pattern is a blocked one regardless of whether that blocking makes it to high lattitudes so we at least get a dry pattern (winter 06 being an extreme example).

Posted
27 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I would strongly advise that you ignore ENSO forecasts more than a few months ahead. They are overly sensitive.

A bit like some of the posters on this site then.  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Clear blue skies here in NW Kent virtually. Terrible forecasts, would love to know which models actually forecast this. Some went for light patchy rain and others I saw were going for a very cloudy day. But this is now in Dartford...

20210819_134641.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Still couldn't beat us last season though

(Boing Boing)

For all my moaning, today is genuinely quite nice. Afternoon sat in the garden it is I think!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Hahaha the 06z EC has done just that, arriving here in Bucks by around 1pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Yep i was right, there is vastly more moaning in the Summer thread than the Winter one!....very interesting.

Interesting for whom? And are you surprised? I still don’t agree with you, despite the summer horror show that many have endured 

Posted
15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Still couldn't beat us last season though

(Boing Boing)

For all my moaning, today is genuinely quite nice. Afternoon sat in the garden it is I think!

Blimey. A West Bromwich Albion fan in Buckinghamshire. You must miss Sandwell so much (tongue firmly  in cheek there) !  

Posted
55 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Blimey. A West Bromwich Albion fan in Buckinghamshire. You must miss Sandwell so much (tongue firmly  in cheek there) !  

From Cannock actually. Dingle central! It's just as snowless and even more stormless down here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

despite the summer horror show that many have endured 

I would say calling this Summer a horror show for many northern parts may be pushing it a fair bit. On the whole its not been bad with plenty sunshine and reasonable temps. No weeks of heatwave i agree but this is the UK, we have had a normal summer in many places.

• Like 2