Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
19 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I only remember Aug 16 as similar to July 10, cloudy and humid here.

Seems it was a very N/S split month. It was the best month of the summer down here, although the hottest spell actually came in July.

August 2016 with 230hrs was the second sunniest (behind 2005) since 1996. Just goes to how dreadful august has been given the 71-00 average was 220hrs and was quite warm with an average max of 23.1C was quite warm too. Only two days failed to reach 21C.

August 2016 with 230hrs was the second sunniest (behind 2005) since 1996. Just goes to how dreadful august has been given the 71-00 average was 220hrs and was quite warm with an average max of 23.1C was quite warm too. Only two days failed to reach 21C.

Posted

This gloom is getting monotonous. It’s coming to the point I can’t be bothered with summer anymore  I’m ready to get the Halloween decorations out

2 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

This gloom is getting monotonous. It’s coming to the point I can’t be bothered with summer anymore  I’m ready to get the Halloween decorations out

Same, it’s so dark - down the driving range now and the auto flood lights are already on. Dismal month, dismal summer, dismal year tbh. 2021 could be the most boring year on record!

Posted

It reached 22C and was sunny for the most part today. Looks like our luck this summer continues!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Been in a rare clear slot since 3pm and what a difference it makes with the sun out! Shame it couldn't have done that earlier in the day. I bet it'll be back to full cloud cover again tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

I think countdown to the horrible shortest day starts now - and then it all gets (hopefully) better again.  This year has been horrendous.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, Kentspur said:

Unfortunately nothing special in our corner of the world with that wind straight off the North sea. Respectable for other regions at times however.

Screenshot_20210818-200916_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210818-200858_Samsung Internet.jpg

In all fairness mate I would say its most definitely a summer you south Easterners would quickly like to forget! Here's hoping you get some winter rewards to make up for it!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
9 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

In all fairness mate I would say its most definitely a summer you south Easterners would quickly like to forget! Here's hoping you get some winter rewards to make up for it!

A winter to forget for us in my locale aswell! As mentioned before we even missed out on the 25th January snow event that London Surrey and other home counties got! Then in Feb quite often missed the goods while a few miles away got caked in the white stuff! Just had a couple of dustings here.

To be fair though the last few years at times its felt like theres been no respite from the heat&drought down here while often the NW/North suffer from the cool wet conditions- I just wish they brought back Gravesend Broadness weather station or somewhere near here as often we are the warmest place, (warmer than likes of Heathrow and Cambridge) judging by my van thermometer going by my daily drives between these locations when I was a delivery driver 2 years back (though I doubt we have been often this summer!) 

Edited by Kentspur

Posted
4 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Three dryish days next week after a deluge this weekend. Bank Holiday weekend now looking wet. 

The working week looks great I’ll just hope that low creeps a bit further north for the BH.

Posted
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

2021 237 (up to 17th Aug)

Down she goes.. and will continue to fall.. August once again doing it's best to pull things down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Another day, another monotone slab overhead. 

Starting to feel like we're turning the corner now into autumn, the loss of evening light is noticeable. 

Makes the gloom du jour even harder to stomach!!

• Like 1

Posted

A strange bright light keeps appearing occasionally, and some of the clouds have pale blue patches. Should I be worried by this very rare weather phenomenon?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

And that nice day on Saturday is now all but gone. This summer is the pits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
17 hours ago, Alderc said:

Was August 2003 not sunny in Bournemouth?

August 2016 and 2019 both recorded around 222 hours here, and were the sunniest Augusts since 2003 at Heathrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 19/08/2021 at 08:47, Uncertainy said:

We live on a cloudy island but beyond Sunday there is no washout ahead and a nationwide settled and dry spell beckons with perhaps more sun in the NW. 

There is a difference between 'we live on a cloudy island' and what is actually happening in many areas though. August so far here has yielded 63 hours of sunshine. We'd expect around 185 hours during August on average. If next week pans out as cloudy as some of the forecasts, we could end the month over 50% below average. That's just depressing in August, on the back of a dull and well below average sunshine July too. You don't mind the odd cloudy day here and there, and expect in during winter, but the sheer volume of them at the height of this summer has been really poor. Just constant leaden skies.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 19/08/2021 at 08:07, davehsug said:

A strange bright light keeps appearing occasionally, and some of the clouds have pale blue patches. Should I be worried by this very rare weather phenomenon?

I'd probably contact the Met Office about it to be honest. Might be a new cloud formation or something. I've yet to see it anyway!

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 19/08/2021 at 07:10, Number 23 said:

Another day, another monotone slab overhead. 

Starting to feel like we're turning the corner now into autumn, the loss of evening light is noticeable. 

Makes the gloom du jour even harder to stomach!!

It's utterly vile. It's ok though, a few people over in the model thread spin this as 'useable weather'. Which is just another way of saying it's crap but not pouring with rain. How people can possibly try and say this is ok is beyond me. Currently 14c with pathetic drizzle, which is so pointlessly fine that the radar isn't even picking it up.

We get months and month of darkness and murk from October to February to endure....you put up with it with the promise of longer days and some sunshine during the summer, then get the exact same thing for 16 hours of daylight instead of the 8 hours of daylight we get in winter. Twice the punishment. Wish this summer would just Foxtrot Oscar now. Bring on Autumn. Don't even really like it that much, but hopefully it'll be more interesting than this shower. Not even reached 27c anywhere this August, and a very good chance we may not breach that mark looking at forecasts.

Forecasts show La Nina finally disappearing into spring and summer next year, and we might even start getting into good Nino territory according to some forecasts, which is traditionally much better for the UK. Nina this winter may deliver something too. 2021 into the bin, try again in 2022.

image.thumb.png.70b9ac38cf94455b187780fe2133f55f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

And that nice day on Saturday is now all but gone. This summer is the pits.

Yep. This will be the 5th consecutive Saturday of utter puke by me. Yesterday BBC weather said Saturday dry but rain later in the evening. Now it just says bands of rain and showers all day and the temp downgraded from a half decent 22c to cold 19c. RUBBISH.

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

It's utterly vile. It's ok though, a few people over in the model thread spin this as 'useable weather'. Which is just another way of saying it's crap but not pouring with rain. How people can possibly try and say this is ok is beyond me. Currently 14c with pathetic drizzle, which is so pointlessly fine that the radar isn't even picking it up.

We get months and month of darkness and murk from October to February to endure....you put up with it with the promise of longer days and some sunshine during the summer, then get the exact same thing for 16 hours of daylight instead of the 8 hours of daylight we get in winter. Twice the punishment. Wish this summer would just Foxtrot Oscar now. Bring on Autumn. Don't even really like it that much, but hopefully it'll be more interesting than this shower. Not even reached 27c anywhere this August, and a very good chance we may not breach that mark looking at forecasts.

Forecasts show La Nina finally disappearing into spring and summer next year, and we might even start getting into good Nino territory according to some forecasts, which is traditionally much better for the UK. Nina this winter may deliver something too. 2021 into the bin, try again in 2022.

image.thumb.png.70b9ac38cf94455b187780fe2133f55f.png

If the Nino returns in 2022, that will probably mean a better summer with more heat, but winter 2022/23 will be a stinky mild one.

However, I will settle for a very mild winter during 22/23, if we get a nice hot sunny summer next year.

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yep. This will be the 5th consecutive Saturday of utter puke by me. Yesterday BBC weather said Saturday dry but rain later in the evening. Now it just says bands of rain and showers all day and the temp downgraded from a half decent 22c to cold 19c. RUBBISH.

And there are people on this forum who claim this is acceptable summer weather. This is truly awful.

I want some 25c plus weather.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, B87 said:

Was August 2003 not sunny in Bournemouth?

August 2016 and 2019 both recorded around 222 hours here, and were the sunniest Augusts since 2003 at Heathrow.

Not overly, 2003 had 228hrs, 2005 had 279hrs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
43 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

And there are people on this forum who claim this is acceptable summer weather. This is truly awful.

Its purely objective and personal a view on weather don't forget. Some like it hot, some don't like it hot. Acceptable weather is a individual's opinion. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong either.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2