Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Well today is the sort of day that’s been missing through this summer. An average 23C and sunny most of the day, pretty nice all in all. Normally would expect 30-40 such days, probably had less than 10.

Meanwhile southern Europe and North Africa getting cooked. Tunis currently 49C, parts of Sicily were up to 46C earlier and some brutal humidity. Dew points bearing 30C 

0942D2F3-F4D5-49FF-9B9C-BC8E3A6F5DAD.thumb.jpeg.b78053b7ee93b0ace68afce814dae225.jpeg

Posted
41 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Well today is the sort of day that’s been missing through this summer. An average 23C and sunny most of the day, pretty nice all in all. Normally would expect 30-40 such days, probably had less than 10.

Meanwhile southern Europe and North Africa getting cooked. Tunis currently 49C, parts of Sicily were up to 46C earlier and some brutal humidity. Dew points bearing 30C 

0942D2F3-F4D5-49FF-9B9C-BC8E3A6F5DAD.thumb.jpeg.b78053b7ee93b0ace68afce814dae225.jpeg

It's glorious! Been cleaning the chicken carrier out, hanging laundry, hanging out with the kids and the chickens. All good!! We don't need 30c+ - as nice as it is - this is just perfect too!

• Like 1

Posted
On 10/08/2021 at 16:26, *Stormforce~beka* said:

It's glorious! Been cleaning the chicken carrier out, hanging laundry, hanging out with the kids and the chickens. All good!! We don't need 30c+ - as nice as it is - this is just perfect too!

Yes, mostly sunny and pleasantly warm.

Wouldn't mind a bit of heat though, before summer is done.⛈️?️

• Thanks 1

Posted

August has been pretty decent for the first 10 days here. All but the 1st have topped 20C and the mean max has been 21.7C so far. We've also seen around 60 hours of sunshine so far and only had 14.0mm of rain. The mean stands at 16.8C which is pretty average though this is due to cooler nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yep, very pleasant day for sitting in the garden. Although there's already a slight chill in the shade.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I've got to agree, today has been near as perfect as a UK Summer should be, lovely temps, bit of a breeze, plenty of sun....nobody can possibly moan about this can they?

Edited by markyo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Yes, mostly sunny and pleasantly warm.

Wouldn't mind a bit of heat though, before summer is done.⛈️?️

Yes if the rest of the summer can have days like today, pierced by the odd plume to give us another shot at thunder (this area had been a bit unlucky for storms this year) I will take that

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I just hope that latest chart from UKMO is in default mode. Of all the places in the world if only the UK brewed warm rain. Looks like a big August let down so far for you guys as the continent heats up. At least you topped the Euro Gold medals table in the Tokyo  Olympics.!

C

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

• Like 2

Horrid model output tonight, next week looking like the UK once again becomes a trough magnet and the associated utter tripe that comes with it. 

But more immediately and after the first really decent day in weeks (even though we only got to 22C beggars can’t be choosers n all that) it looks like the south will have immediate payback cloud, looks like cloud will spill in here and remain stationary through most of tomorrow and Thursday as the decaying stalls over the south. An exceptionally poor august looks nailed on, really can’t see 25C being reached all month down here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
19 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Horrid model output tonight, next week looking like the UK once again becomes a trough magnet and the associated utter tripe that comes with it. 

But more immediately and after the first really decent day in weeks (even though we only got to 22C beggars can’t be choosers n all that) it looks like the south will have immediate payback cloud, looks like cloud will spill in here and remain stationary through most of tomorrow and Thursday as the decaying stalls over the south. An exceptionally poor august looks nailed on, really can’t see 25C being reached all month down here. 

Think Aug is over rated by many, It's a low pressure dominated month, Atlantic air dominates! a fully dry day is rare away from the SE, further NW you go, 20 degrees becomes less common

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Actually grey and not that warm up until about 2pm. There was a light shower about 11am. Brightened up this afternoon and the clouds parted to reveal more blue sky but I cant say it has been a 'lovely' day by any means   . 

Was working in South Wales today, near Swansea, Sheffield to there and back, mostly broken sunshine, blue sky, temps well into the 20's. On site in Wales, very warm, not humid, actually near to perfect as you can get. Most will have enjoyed it.

• Like 3

Posted
On 10/08/2021 at 19:30, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Think Aug is over rated by many, It's a low pressure dominated month, Atlantic air dominates! a fully dry day is rare away from the SE, further NW you go, 20 degrees becomes less common

August can be a bit of a let down for sure, but.. take heart, someone in the MOD thread has forecast the last 10 days of the month to be very warm for NW Europe.

Can't go wrong with that, considering the area in question covers about 500 thousand square miles.....

Posted

Not noticing any swifts this evening, I think they've now given up on the summer and headed to warmer climes!

I know there's a lot of despondency regarding the outlook, but this weekend looks reasonable.

Posted
59 minutes ago, markyo said:

Was working in South Wales today, near Swansea, Sheffield to there and back, mostly broken sunshine, blue sky, temps well into the 20's. On site in Wales, very warm, not humid, actually near to perfect as you can get. Most will have enjoyed it.

Well you obviously didn't go on route via Dudley where I am because I can tell you it wasn't unbroken sunshine. Even this afternoon it was intermittent sunny intervals. It was mainly dull up until lunchtime.  So I guess we just got unlucky round here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A couple of days away in York, the weather was perfectly reasonable. Good sunny spells and light winds with temperatures reaching 24c. Very useable indeed.

It is probably for the best that the extreme heat to the south will not reach our shores, still it would be nice to finally see high pressure taking charge and given a few weeks of fine and warm weather for everyone to enjoy before Autumn arrives.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Moving out of 'high summer' now into what I class 'late summer', well at least for the north.. so far its been a better than average summer, we've not had weeks and weeks of rain, but we've neither had weeks and weeks of warm dry sunny conditions. However, overall settled conditions have been more frequent than unsettled. Still the rest of August to bring it up a notch, but I'm not expecting much from the rest of the month here.

Unlikely to go down as a particularly memorable summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely day here, topped out at 25°C with plenty of sunshine. The next week or so looks decent with some sunshine and a few thunderstorms possible, with mid-high 20’s °C. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
6 hours ago, markyo said:

I've got to agree, today has been near as perfect as a UK Summer should be, lovely temps, bit of a breeze, plenty of sun....nobody can possibly moan about this can they?

I'm not moaning!! Lurrrved eet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
5 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

August is very hit and miss in this country, particurly during the second half. It isn't uncommon to get a taste of autumn, just like we often get a taste of spring in February. July is generally the most reliable out of the 3 summer months as that is when the season is at its peak. But then again, this is UK so there are going to be exceptions.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Yesterday’s max of 22.1C was the highest of the month, pretty sad given that’s just below the monthly avg. only 37hrs of sun in 10days, another tragic stat.

Posted
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Yesterday’s max of 22.1C was the highest of the month, pretty sad given that’s just below the monthly avg. only 37hrs of sun in 10days, another tragic stat.

But it will still end up, after some creative accounting, being in the top 10 warmest Augusts ever.

What a racket. 

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I honestly cannot get over how awful this summer has been for southerners this year, weeks on end of cloud, rain, cool temps and the odd beautiful warm week, what the hell is happening?! If the weather doesn't improve soon autumn and winter are going to feel awfully long 

• Like 2

Posted

Another lovely day here. For all the groans this is shaping up to be a decent week around these parts. We managed to avoid pretty much all the showers recently too. Wouldn't mind it being a touch warmer though.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Another lovely day here. For all the groans this is shaping up to be a decent week around these parts. We managed to avoid pretty much all the showers recently too. Wouldn't mind it being a touch warmer though.

I was abroad last week, but from what i've been hearing from co workers, family etc, its been a shockingly bad start to August, which is a continuation of a very poor summer in the South of the country.

A good spell for the rest of August, won't salvage this for me, as it will be still classed as a disappointment. 

I really long for a hot spell during mid to Late August, which is something we haven't had for a few years now.

I remember during the poor summer of 1987(a very poor summer)(, we had about 4-5 days of hot weather around the third week, which ended with severe thunderstorms in the london and southern areas. Hopefully this will be repeated for August 2021.