Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

If we can get some convection/storms out of this upcoming cooler spell then I wouldn't mind, but we won't here, so I do mind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 24/07/2021 at 22:31, stainesbloke said:

Beautiful day here in Prague, reached 27°C with plenty of sunshine. Sat outside now enjoying a cuppa and it’s still 22°C at 23:30, lovely. Severe thunderstorm warnings for tomorrow, been an exciting and dramatic storm season here and hoping to see more severe weather.

You see you don't need mid-high 20's to have pleasant summer weather. It reached 21.9C here yesterday, and was dry and mostly cloudy, and it felt very pleasant. Was around 21C when I had a cup of tea outside at 6 pm, and I went on a lovely evening walk in just shorts and a t-shirt and it still felt pleasantly warm when I got back at 18.5C at around 9:15 pm.  It was still light too, being further south I bet it's already dark by 9 pm in Prague...  

That's the benefit of UK summers, you can actually do stuff without getting fried like a crisp or sweating your bottom off, and becuase we are so far north there's the lovely light evenings as well, doesn't go dark until 10 pm in June, bet you don't get that in the Med.

On 25/07/2021 at 11:02, weatherguru14 said:

Thats because pressure has been higher in the north. The south has been under a low that's been stuck over France. Throwing cloud into the southern part of the UK... its been a weird set up this year.. very dry summer  compared to last year.. best summer since 2018  for me..

It may change later in the week. But only 2/3 days this summer can i honestly say i have felt cold.I remember last July one morning. It was so cold i could see cold air when I breathed out. Terrible last year. This July has not been a classic like 2013/14 or 18 but been its been nice enough. 

Huge contrast between this July and last July up in the north. Last July, average high 17C, needed a hoodie on everyday, even needed the heating on on a couple of days, this year, been in shorts and t-shirts everyday, had the windows open all day everyday, sleeping with just a thin sheet, bought a fan for the first time ever.

On 25/07/2021 at 11:55, markyo said:

What a fantastic summers Sunday, really makes up for last Sunday's over the top, unusable heat. Lawnmowers are going, cars are getting washed, much more activity. So much better.

Yes, it's been dry, mostly cloudy and in the low 20's here. Perfect usable conditions, could not ask for better. No sunshine to dazzle you, no heat to melt in, no rain to drown in. Perfect.   Even the humidity wasn't too high. Wish every weekend was like this!

19 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Yeah but you're area has had worse weather than up north, so your area is not going to come close, whilst up here they are going to be closer to those summers. 

Whilst SE had a very wet June we had a very dry June. Even now some areas are getting a soaking in SE but up here and we are still dry.

Do you have the summer index for London this year so we can compare?

19 hours ago, Scorcher said:

There is an argument for it being better than 2014 in the NW I think- for me July 2014 was a month that promised a lot but didn't deliver many really hot days up here. There wasn't a spell during that month to match the spell we've just had IMO.

I remember loads of warm/hot and sunny days in July 2014. In particular I remember it got really hot at the end of the month, can't remember the temps but probably similar to what we just had this year, similar duration, mid to high 20's.

17 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Not a bad weekend given the earlier forecasts here. The odd bit of rain. Nothing too shocking. Not overly warm (low 20's). Not overly sunny until a few sunny intervals late afternoon/evening. Could have been better. Could have been worse so an overall rating of not too bad.

So a meh/average weekend by your standards. Been very similar here. I would call it excellent summer weather.

17 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

As previously mentioned it has been a bit special up here this summer.  Dry June with average temperatures gradually increasing into July with this absolutely epic fortnight of almost entirely blue skies and hi twenties / lo thirties temperatures. All our lawns and grass verges are brown

4F4C6B70-C2D1-4D38-8653-5E7AC934F1BC.jpeg

A very rare sight to see blue skies in Northern Ireland let alone brown grass!  

16 hours ago, Eugene said:

Definitely feeling an Autumn vibe tonight for the first time this Summer, Autumn/Winter will be here before you know it.  

Nah, no autumn vibes here, everyone still in summery clothes, sun angle very high, give it a few more weeks yet.

15 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

The longer we go without the ghastly snow, frost and ice the better. Hopefully till about 25th February.

Unusual to see a post like that on a weather forum! Don't say that on the winter thread or you'll get your ass kicked!  

A mildie then?   Bet you loved winter 2019/20...

9 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Yikes, Level 3 Estofex warning in effect here for today. 

Is that a heat warning?

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

Here in the south it seems like the summer that either delivers real heat or cool weather with copious rain - nothing between 30 degrees with blazing sunshine and 20 degrees with lots of rain. We've had almost nothing in between - almost none of those pleasant partly cloudy days with average temperatures that I find typically crop frequently in July.

Yeah it was a bit like that here last summer, blazing hot for a few days, then very cool, cloudy and unsettled for weeks. A very frustrating summer, no happy medium.

This summer has been much better though, we haven't had many cool rainy days up here and fortuntely there hasn't been too much heat either. Just plenty of day, benign days with a mix of sun and clouds and temps in the low 20's most days. I know last week was hot but at least it didn't get into the 30's here. I've been very lucky this year.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Same here in the North East , sunny and very warm with scattered cloud with a very light sea breeze, all change come Wednesday but no complaints regarding this summer thus far.

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

If this is a trough of low pressure sat right over us then it's a pretty darn nice trough!  Sunny and hot in Manchester , 24c feeling a touch humid aswell. 

Yeah jumped up to 23C here although a lot of cloud at present and humidity not too high at 56%.

23 minutes ago, Azazel said:

If we can get some convection/storms out of this upcoming cooler spell then I wouldn't mind, but we won't here, so I do mind.

As the heat lovers said to me, you'll just have to suck it up, buttercup. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Also up in the north we have had to endure the heat like the south but have not had any storms, so I'm pretty peeved too. No sympathies from me.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Also up in the north we have had to endure the heat like the south but have not had any storms, so I'm pretty peeved too. No sympathies from me.

I haven't had any storms either.

Posted
On 26/07/2021 at 15:13, East Lancs Rain said:

Is that a heat warning?

Warning for severe storm potential:

3 is the highest level. The takeaway is possible large hail and severe gusts associated with MCS storms, but we'll see. Nothing at all might happen. The Slovak weather service have only issued a bog-standard yellow thunderstorm warning for 6pm onwards (though I've seen some meaty storms under yellow warnings).

In the meantime there's not a cloud in the sky and hardly any breeze. A vintage summer's afternoon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
34 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

As opposed to warm weather fans having to suck up cool, grey, windy rubbish for 300+ days per year

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
On 26/07/2021 at 14:17, East Lancs Rain said:

Yeah jumped up to 23C here although a lot of cloud at present and humidity not too high at 56%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
32 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

As opposed to warm weather fans having to suck up cool, grey, windy rubbish for 300+ days per year

Don’t go down this road…..you won’t win on here apparently 10 hot days a year is far worse than 300 cold ones!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

The hot weather decided to make a comeback for a day. But it feels a little more comfortable this time round as it isn't so humid and there's a slight breeze along with a few scattered clouds. My bedroom had a chance to cool down to a more comfortable temperature also. So I am happy enough.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

The hot weather decided to make a comeback for a day. But it feels a little more comfortable this time round as it isn't so humid and there's a slight breeze along with a few scattered clouds. My bedroom had a chance to cool down to a more comfortable temperature also. So I am happy enough.

Agree,one day only thankfully, the outlook is far far better, much more likeable for most i'm finding, majority have a dislike for the heat, not just in my area but in most areas i visit.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
40 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

*Out with the popcorn* ... Fight Fight Fight Fight!!!!!!!!

DING DING! Round 2 ...

How did people manage to bicker over the weather before a certain weather forum came into existence? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Another mediocre seasonal forecast by Accuweather

2021-Europe-Summer-Highlights.jpg?w=632

While wet weather will persist over Ireland, Scotland and northern England through at least June and into July, precipitation is forecast to remain below normal throughout the rest of the season.  (it actually has been drier than average)

Last month ranked among the top-five driest Aprils on record across southern England, and that trend could continue through the rest of May. (May was wet generally)  This theme can continue across parts of the area during the summer, which could cause problems as the growing season kicks off.

Parts of southern England may face difficult growing conditions, similar to France and Germany.  

“Last year was the worst crop of wheat for the U.K. because of a dry start early in the season,” said Roys. This growing season could be similar with below-normal precipitation expected across the Midlands, southern England and Wales.  (It has been a wet summer for SE England so far)

Some wet weather can push into this area in August, but it may be too late for crops, warned Roys. “By that point the damage will be mostly done,” he added.  

With the storm track nearby in Scotland and northern England, precipitation is expected to be closer to normal. (below average up to late July)

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

How did people manage to bicker over the weather before a certain weather forum came into existence? 

Well back in the day the BBC weather forums was the place to be!! There were many a fight over there too!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aren't Accuweather's seasonal forecasts always mediocre?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Me every time a heatwave appears:

winchester.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I’d be interesting to see the rainfall accumulations for this month when comparing the North and Midlands to the South as we’ve hardly had any rain here it seems. 

Edited by Josh Rubio
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 26/07/2021 at 14:13, East Lancs Rain said:

A very rare sight to see blue skies in Northern Ireland let alone brown grass!  

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Brilliant here. 26c sunny. Breeze. Proper summer. Making the most of it because the outlook is decidedly Autumn. But then again this is the land of eternal Autumn.  

Bit of a turn around now though?  Thunder and torrential rain outside my window.  May not last long but a right lively storm we have

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Bit of a turn around now though?  Thunder and torrential rain outside my window.  May not last long but a right lively storm we have

Yep. Just walking back down road and I could hear and see the storm just over towards Wolvo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
5 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yep. Just walking back down road and I could hear and see the storm just over towards Wolvo.

Short and sweet, all petering out now although haven’t been out to look at the sky to see if there is more to come.

Posted
9 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Here in the south it seems like the summer that either delivers real heat or cool weather with copious rain - nothing between 30 degrees with blazing sunshine and 20 degrees with lots of rain. We've had almost nothing in between - almost none of those pleasant partly cloudy days with average temperatures that I find typically crop frequently in July. After a mainly miserable June with a single hot spell, July is turning out very average overall but caused by a good hot spell sandwiched between periods of unsettled weather. Summer rainfall in Reading stands at 125mm at the university station, only a few mm off the average for the entire season, and at the moment August is looking rather like the miserable August of 2014 - if that pans out this would be our worst summer since 2012.

All symptomatic that the summer so far has not been very typical, the atlantic hasn't ruled the roost delivering the traditional NW-SE divide, with the SE seeing the drier conditions. Instead we've seen a suppressed azores high and a strong meridional flow, with the UK flip flopping between trough domination on a southerly position, hence low pressures have anchored further to the south than usual, or ridge development, but with the ridge being further to the north allowing for sunniest conditions and at times warmest weather for the NW. Conversely it has meant the NW is experiencing a dry summer, some places notably dry, so far.... traditionally August brings a change in fortune!

• Like 2