Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

That being said, the recent few days have been acceptable for summer weather. Nice and warm with a humid feel to things and less of that chilly wind and cloud feel that was all too frequent until late May. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Hot week coming up here. Forecast high of 37C on Thursday. 

Oooooooof... Glad I don’t live abroad! A nice cool 17°C here! That’s more like it!

3 hours ago, Freeze said:

Must be quite a nice change for the se/ nw divide to be the opposite way round. Can't remember my last wet summer must be 2012 I think. Usually grass is dead around here this time of year but instead it's the greenest and longest I've ever seen it!

Looks like you’re long overdue for a wet summer down there then. You sure are spoilt down south!   Summers up here are much wetter. Since 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2020 have all been wet or very wet. Only 2013, 2014 and 2018 have been dry. Were long overdue a dryer summer up here.

3 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

Depends on the wind for me. I’d wear shorts in 15 degrees if it’s still. Been wearing them entire month of June but it’s always been hi teens low twenties.

Same here. About 18°C and higher is acceptable shorts weather for me, or is low as 15°C if the Sun is out. I can tell this summer has been warmer simply from the fact that I’ve barely needed a hoodie and I’ve been wearing shorts and T-shirt nearly every day in the house without feeling cold, I’ve had the bedroom window open every day and at night I’ve just been sleeping with a light blanket on the bed and been plenty warm enough. Even had to have the bedroom window open at night to try and cool things down which I haven’t had to do since summer 2018. Maybe the house is getting warmer... Or maybe it’s just me....

In previous summers it would barely ever be warm enough to wear a t-shirt or open the windows and I would need a duvet on the bed. I’ve never ever worn a winter coat in the summer though, always just a hoodie or light rain jacket.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Not too bad here in Reading, although the temperature is still a fair bit below par - cloudy, around 19 degrees..

For me shorts weather starts at about 20 degrees if it's sunny, 22 if cloudy. My legs haven't had much exposure since the early June warm spell. For this afternoon's walk it's T shirt, jeans and a light cotton jacket.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Oooooooof... Glad I don’t live abroad! A nice cool 17°C here! That’s more like it!

Looks like you’re long overdue for a wet summer down there then. You sure are spoilt down south!   Summers up here are much wetter. Since 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2020 have all been wet or very wet. Only 2013, 2014 and 2018 have been dry. Were long overdue a dryer summer up here.

Same here. About 18°C and higher is acceptable shorts weather for me, or is low as 15°C if the Sun is out. I can tell this summer has been warmer simply from the fact that I’ve barely needed a hoodie and I’ve been wearing shorts and T-shirt nearly every day in the house without feeling cold, I’ve had the bedroom window open every day and at night I’ve just been sleeping with a light blanket on the bed and been plenty warm enough. Even had to have the bedroom window open at night to try and cool things down which I haven’t had to do since summer 2018. Maybe the house is getting warmer... Or maybe it’s just me....

In previous summers it would barely ever be warm enough to wear a t-shirt or open the windows and I would need a duvet on the bed. I’ve never ever worn a winter coat in the summer though, always just a hoodie or light rain jacket.

Shorts...i honestly haven't been out of them in nearly 2 years. Must be the work i do, i would be struggling to find a pair of long trousers at home now. I just don't find the cold enough in the UK to wear long trousers now. 

• Like 4

Posted

Well at least I got my Thunderstorm fix this weekend. It seems we currently have an extended period of warm early mornings and then vast amounts of cloud. I’m getting grumpy again as it feels the chance of proper summer is getting less and less as the weeks move on. 

Posted

Cool and cloudy today with a high of 17C. ☁️ And tommorow looks pants - showers and 16C. ?️Improving though as the week goes on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off topic but I got one of those really old thinkpad laptops off ebay. My model is the ThinkPad X61s. Comes with Windows 10, 3GB RAM, Core 2 Duo Processor and a 12 inch 1024x768 screen. It's a great little machine, despite being over 10 years old now. Excellent keyboard and much better for typing on than my iPad. Great for basic stuff like internet browsing, youtube, spreadsheets etc.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Shorts...i honestly haven't been out of them in nearly 2 years. Must be the work i do, i would be struggling to find a pair of long trousers at home now. I just don't find the cold enough in the UK to wear long trousers now. 

Have to say I love wearing shorts! I'll usually wear them on and off from Late March to Late September. Last July though I only wore them on the last day becuase the rest of the month was too cold!

• Like 2

Posted

I’m just off to watch football for the first time in nearly 7 months. The weather is more applicable for Boxing Day but I am wearing shorts! Do not wear trousers from April-October!

• Like 3

Things going from bad to worse on the sunshine stats, just 65hrs in the last 18days, not even 25% of what’s available. Not a single 12hrs and only 2 above 10hrs. This is up there 2007/11/12 for dullness. Absolutely dross. 

Looks only Thursday has a hope in hell of getting to 20C this week, might have to wait well into next week to get near average. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Things going from bad to worse on the sunshine stats, just 65hrs in the last 18days, not even 25% of what’s available. Not a single 12hrs and only 2 above 10hrs. This is up there 2007/11/12 for dullness. Absolutely dross. 

Looks only Thursday has a hope in hell of getting to 20C this week, might have to wait well into next week to get near average. 

I agree. Rubbish summer so far. No max above 26c. Only 2 days at 25c or above. Only 1 day in excess of 21c in the last 19 days. Dull. Cool. And it is now looking likely that there will be nothing much good until at least mid July. By which time the 2nd half of summer kicks in and the nights start drawing in...........

3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I agree. Rubbish summer so far. No max above 26c. Only 2 days at 25c or above. Only 1 day in excess of 21c in the last 19 days. Dull. Cool. And it is now looking likely that there will be nothing much good until at least mid July. By which time the 2nd half of summer kicks in and the nights start drawing in...........

Summers rating has probably fallen to just 2 or 3 out of 10 here (assuming 5 is average) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Off topic but I got one of those really old thinkpad laptops off ebay. My model is the ThinkPad X61s. Comes with Windows 10, 3GB RAM, Core 2 Duo Processor and a 12 inch 1024x768 screen. It's a great little machine, despite being over 10 years old now. Excellent keyboard and much better for typing on than my iPad. Great for basic stuff like internet browsing, youtube, spreadsheets etc.

Including browsing on Netweather forums? 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
20 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Anyway doesn't look too bad this week in Dudley, Tuesday and Wednesday look a bit dodgy, sure, but Monday and Thursday are forecast to be 20/21°C with sunny intervals. Shorts and t-shirt weather! ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650839/day1

It could be worse, imagine if you were living up in Northern Scotland!

IMG_1896.PNG

IMG_1897.PNG

Funnily enough that Lerwick forecast is almost an exact replica of the really poor Friday last month in the SE when it rained for nearly a full day and didn't get above 14C.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Alderc said:

Absolutely. 

Not for me. 16C isn't a risk to life. 40C is.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You’re long overdue for a wet summer down there then. You sure are spoilt down south!   Summers up here are much wetter. Since 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2020 have all been wet or very wet. Only 2013, 2014 and 2018 have been dry. Were long overdue a dryer summer up here.

From when I last looked up rainfall comparisons between north and south UK, I looked at the annual rainfall for Horsham (Sussex) and Salford (Gtr Manchester), and there was little difference. I think the difference in climate between northern and southern England (lowlands only) is often overstated. I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but it is less than some people think.

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Yes that is poor for southern England. I probably got well over half that amount of sunshine during my week long holiday in the west Scottish highlands at the end of May/early June, and even the cloudy periods weren't like this horrible December like gloom where I have to have the lights on.

I led a walk last Sunday around Warniglid/Slaugham area. The condition of the footpaths was more like autumn/winter than mid summer. Very muddy in places and difficult to keep feet dry, the joy of heavy clay soil.

Edited by al78

6 minutes ago, al78 said:

Not for me. 16C isn't a risk to life. 40C is.

Unless you have a medical problem, severely obese, or attempt a ridiculous amount of exercise 40C is certainly not a risk to life. If it was holidays to parts of North Africa, the Middle East or many other locations would result in thousands of deaths. Clearly your statement is very incorrect. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Unless you have a medical problem, severely obese, or attempt a ridiculous amount of exercise 40C is certainly not a risk to life. If it was holidays to parts of North Africa, the Middle East or many other locations would result in thousands of deaths. Clearly your statement is very incorrect. 

It is if you are not used to it and the buildings/infrastructure is not built for it like in the UK. Holidaying abroad is totally different when you can retreat to an air conditioned hotel or any public building. There are plenty of deaths from heatwaves in the UK and Europe, mostly amongst the vulnerable, but the otherwise healthy are not immune.

?m=02&d=20201119&t=2&i=1541804619&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Heatwaves caused a record 2,556 excess deaths in Britain this summer as the country was struggling to contain the coronavirus pandemic, according to a government estimate published on Thursday.

https://reliefweb.int/report/world/european-summer-heatwaves-most-lethal-disaster-2019-says-international-research-group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

• Like 4

Posted

Agreed, it takes months to become acclimatised to temperature and if you don't have air con it can cause serious issues. 

Even with air con me and my kids suffered for months in the Middle East with skin conditions, dizzy spells etc.  

• Like 5

Posted
53 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Including browsing on Netweather forums? 

Yep. Great for typing long posts.

26 minutes ago, al78 said:

From when I last looked up rainfall comparisons between north and south UK, I looked at the annual rainfall for Horsham (Sussex) and Salford (Gtr Manchester), and there was little difference. I think the difference in climate between northern and southern England (lowlands only) is often overstated. I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but it is less than some people think.

I live near the Pennines where it is wetter though. Annual rainfall here is around 1000-1100 mm, nearly double what some parts of the south east get. Windermere in the Lake District gets 2000 mm per annum!  Tynemouth on the north east coast gets less than 600 mm per annum. Rainfall very much varys from area to area, but generally, it gets wetter the further north and west you go.

21 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Problem is there is a lot of people who do have medical problems and/or are severly obese, esspecially in the UK and other western nations. 40C would probably result in thousands of heat-related deaths in the UK, due to lack of acclimatisation to heat, the fact that our homes are designed to trap heat and lack of air con. 

16C on the other hand isn't dangerous to anyone, even very cold-natured people as they can just put on a heavy coat if they need to to stay warm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Notable that the models now take us to the half way mark of summer without 30C. Do we know if there has been a summer since 2012 to make it this far.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
54 minutes ago, al78 said:

It is if you are not used to it and the buildings/infrastructure is not built for it like in the UK. Holidaying abroad is totally different when you can retreat to an air conditioned hotel or any public building. There are plenty of deaths from heatwaves in the UK and Europe, mostly amongst the vulnerable, but the otherwise healthy are not immune.

?m=02&d=20201119&t=2&i=1541804619&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Heatwaves caused a record 2,556 excess deaths in Britain this summer as the country was struggling to contain the coronavirus pandemic, according to a government estimate published on Thursday.

https://reliefweb.int/report/world/european-summer-heatwaves-most-lethal-disaster-2019-says-international-research-group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

There were more excess deaths during Winter 2019/2020..

Either way, this heat vs cold deaths argument comes out every single year, it becomes very tiresome.

• Like 1