Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Replacement domestic weather station

Posted

My Oregon home weather station has died after many years of questionable accuracy. It had  the advantage for me of a couple of remote sensors with a good range so I could see the temperature and humidity in my greenhouse and outside that is about 50m from my bedside table. 

Looking for a reasonably accurate replacement.  No particular budget but start from the premise that I don’t want any expense. Not looking for an all singing and dancing unit that is difficult to place the outdoor equipment and I would not keep up with.  Rainfall collection possibly (but I do have an Oregon one). Wind speed possibly but God gave us trees to see if it windy. 

Something that is easy to view and relatively accurate but not looking to download data necessarily.  The principal requirement are remote sensors of reasonably accurate. As I have numerous thermometers and humidity meters, non of which read the same when in the same location, accuracy will be taken with a degree of scepticism.

Any suggestions to consider please? I have an open mind to some degree.

Thanks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

If your Oregon Scientific weather station was around the £300 mark then I would definitely recommend the Davis Vantage Vue as a replacement (it's priced about the same but in my experience it is much better quality).  It gives accurate temperature readings, wind, humidity, and rainfall to within 0.2mm (rather than the 1mm of my old Oregon station).

I'm not very up to date on the less expensive stations (say £100 or less) though.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 24/04/2021 at 10:45, Snipper said:

My Oregon home weather station has died after many years of questionable accuracy. It had  the advantage for me of a couple of remote sensors with a good range so I could see the temperature and humidity in my greenhouse and outside that is about 50m from my bedside table. 

Looking for a reasonably accurate replacement.  No particular budget but start from the premise that I don’t want any expense. Not looking for an all singing and dancing unit that is difficult to place the outdoor equipment and I would not keep up with.  Rainfall collection possibly (but I do have an Oregon one). Wind speed possibly but God gave us trees to see if it windy. 

Something that is easy to view and relatively accurate but not looking to download data necessarily.  The principal requirement are remote sensors of reasonably accurate. As I have numerous thermometers and humidity meters, non of which read the same when in the same location, accuracy will be taken with a degree of scepticism.

Any suggestions to consider please? I have an open mind to some degree.

Thanks. 

OK, so if you are being specific in your requirements then go for Ecowitt products.

If you want a Display start with a HP2551C and add some WH31 temp/humidity sensors. You can have up to 8.

If not bothered by a display and happy with using an App or web pages then buy a GW1000 and same sensors as they are all interoperable. You can add Soil Moisture sensors (upto 8). Shortly there will leaf wetness sensors and Soil temperature sensors available too. There are many other sensors as well such as Lightning and air quality etc

If you do want to measure rain then you can add that as with Wind anemometer options at any time.

The prices are very reasonable and Ecowitt are a fantastic company to deal with.

WWW.ECOWITT.COM

ECOWITT Welcome to Ecowitt

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

OK, so if you are being specific in your requirements then go for Ecowitt products.

If you want a Display start with a HP2551C and add some WH31 temp/humidity sensors. You can have up to 8.

If not bothered by a display and happy with using an App or web pages then buy a GW1000 and same sensors as they are all interoperable. You can add Soil Moisture sensors (upto 8). Shortly there will leaf wetness sensors and Soil temperature sensors available too. There are many other sensors as well such as Lightning and air quality etc

If you do want to measure rain then you can add that as with Wind anemometer options at any time.

The prices are very reasonable and Ecowitt are a fantastic company to deal with.

WWW.ECOWITT.COM

ECOWITT Welcome to Ecowitt

Hi,

Many thanks for your suggestions. Most helpful.