Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 9th April onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

On the face of it pleasantly warm at day 10 on ECM

327C3F85-A829-4E35-A9ED-1A779FDF456D.thumb.png.62239efb7c0b174e298f07c4832729bb.png

995EBA8F-0BD4-4B2D-AA80-7CE85A5D3993.thumb.png.bdad2d72b12f3497f96b9a0b77b209b4.png

However looking at the detail, there’s a massive undercut on the ECM right across the south and east through weekend. 

Sunday 

36D706FC-827C-4AF3-BACA-494C1B544C06.thumb.jpeg.2ada0d0e7756dbdcfdaa9701a0c4b2da.jpeg
Monday

91F26DCD-C369-44D9-B137-F3857EB3F536.thumb.jpeg.21952ea2478dd48e3bb6cdda2bb9afdc.jpeg

Still lots of potential but the surface output is pretty pants this morning on the Ops runs but fortunately the GFS Ops is very much in cooler end of the ensembles, which are on the whole extremely positive (in fact probably the best of summer) 

1948362689_gfs-bournemouth-gb-505n23.thumb.jpeg.b5ce360069c4b828d7f4b3c96fd9e1b5.jpeg

You make a fair point, and whether that undercut becomes manifest or not is of course uncertain and completely dependent on the exact centre track of the high. At this stage, nothing to worry about but if its still there on Thursday... maybe!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Looking particularly good for Ireland, this developing high.

15B5843C-EAF6-4EEF-B910-CFBC6295F617.jpeg

Edit: after scrolling back a bit, I see this has already been mentioned…..

Edited by Northwest NI
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

6z is another largely forgettable op run, with the high quickly swept away and gone by Monday…

GFS caves in high pressure again really quickly around the 19th….before then 3-4days of low to mid 20s. Might be another outlier but two Ops runs on the trot now…

And Ed please don’t post this saying ‘Loks nae bad’ because it’s rubbish. 

F97ABEB0-EB15-4043-818F-244AD87A0380.thumb.png.a45c6f1e00831762a642050504d88529.png

Edited by Alderc

Posted

The GFS/GEM this morning showing what I did warn could happen and that the HP ends up getting shifted further and further north/north-east that we end up getting into a undercut situation.

I think thats probably more likely atm than the ECM solution, if only because that is broadly the pattern we've been pretty locked into for the last few weeks with diving lows getting caught as HP develops to the north and around the HP, which is why the SE has been so wet.

The ECM is better but it still shows a variation of that risk, particularly for the south/east where there is alot more cloud about. Still its better longer term though than the others.

Probably the more north/west you are the safer you probably are in such a set-up like this.

Hopefully the GFS/GEM move away from the suggested set-up and towards a more sustained HP spell again. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Well, what can I say!.. ...the ECM 0z ensemble mean becomes the BEST I’ve seen it so far in the build up to this pattern change!!... ☀️ ...we may have found the pot of gold at the end of the  

4DFDC788-0755-46A5-B19E-F081D4875E44.thumb.gif.1b1305618d5cf7548d9973b2f7838c21.gifE2578C42-F055-4DE6-8BCD-751451BBDF09.thumb.gif.97b08060702aa55a129bf6b33aad9223.gifAECCA262-C137-4EB1-8428-00942BACE69C.thumb.gif.22c4c525212a15235918af7af79f5514.gif6B8A8523-06BD-48D0-A988-4D9A1B4C06C3.thumb.gif.cbb3eb2880b2ab9f624971a96758aa6c.gifAB8202DA-07C9-4814-8A13-15016C1A46E9.thumb.gif.e849631309458ac130477ce67204ce9b.gif01C04E15-39EA-4249-87FB-2DEBCE3EEAF1.thumb.gif.731caf40579d6cf3e90b4837e51b975a.gif

A run of consistently nice charts that all coincidentally follow on from St Swithin's Day  <crosses fingers> 

• Like 2

Posted

Again another strange run from the GFS.

I'm suspicious of how such a robust and strong area of high pressure which begins to move in on Thursday suddenly weakens quite dramatically.

The 00Z was basically bottom of the pack earlier on and I reckon this isn't much better.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Again another strange run from the GFS.

I'm suspicious of how such a robust and strong area of high pressure which begins to move in on Thursday suddenly weakens quite dramatically.

The 00Z was basically bottom of the pack earlier on and I reckon this isn't much better.

Because it’s the UK? If it was anywhere in Eastern Europe it’d Just sit there for a few weeks. We wait a month for a proper high to build in and it’s gone in days, law of sod says so

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
56 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

6z is another largely forgettable op run, with the high quickly swept away and gone by Monday…

Don’t follow every op as if it’s gospel!!!..stick to the mean..or better still, the anomalies.. ..you know it makes sense! ..

25CA5AA7-55A8-43CA-A9D7-E46C69061152.thumb.jpeg.7b9e8cae62b7b23209bb389b221e799f.jpeg

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 6

Again clearly the GFS Ops run from the 06Z suite was way out of kilter with its ensemble pack. Hopefully it’s just wrong but certainly not unknown for the GFS Ops run to paint a dismal picture only for it to come off, especially in the May just gone. We’ll likely need to sit tight for a few more days yet……

750948792_gfs-bournemouth-gb-505n24.thumb.jpeg.7d064fd978b29c6b65180af52075e307.jpeg

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Again clearly the GFS Ops run from the 06Z suite was way out of kilter with its ensemble pack. Hopefully it’s just wrong but certainly not unknown for the GFS Ops run to paint a dismal picture only for it to come off, especially in the May just gone. We’ll likely need to sit tight for a few more days yet……

750948792_gfs-bournemouth-gb-505n24.thumb.jpeg.7d064fd978b29c6b65180af52075e307.jpeg

This has happened in recent winters too when the op goes mild and against its ensembles, only for them to follow suit later.  However, plenty more twists and turns to come and I would say at this stage, a period of warm/summery weather is odds on, albeit (hopefully!) not too hot.

Posted
59 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Because it’s the UK? If it was anywhere in Eastern Europe it’d Just sit there for a few weeks. We wait a month for a proper high to build in and it’s gone in days, law of sod says so

I'm surprised you and Alderc actually follow the models and don't simply follow sod's law all the time...

We do get highs that stick over us at times- the one next week looks the strongest high I've seen for some time in the summer months which is why I'm dubious about the GFS evolution.

• Like 5

Posted

The only thing to note is the GEM also looks quite progressive. 

They both maybe wrong at this stage, but its a signal that needs watching, especially given the relative persistence of that kind of pattern in the last 2 months...

It Also wouldn't be the first time the models gave attempted to bring HP in only for it to end up not coming off in the last few weeks, though this is by far the strongest push of the summer thankfully.

Hopefully regardless we can get the HP close enough for a lovely few days at the back of next week/weekend. Lots can change in that time in all fairness as well.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

I’m actually astonished by the continued negativity!..given how great the ECM 0z ens mean looks..as well as all the other great output..jeez  ..for example!..I’m really just stupefied (probably the wrong word)...do I look..   like I care!!.. ...is that even a word..stupefied ?... ..ps.. I’ve had clarification..stupefied is a genuine word..yay ! ..    

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Don’t follow every op as if it’s gospel!!!..stick to the mean..or better still, the anomalies.. ..you know it makes sense! ..

25CA5AA7-55A8-43CA-A9D7-E46C69061152.thumb.jpeg.7b9e8cae62b7b23209bb389b221e799f.jpeg

I'm bemused Karl...For me the GFS is by far the worst  set of operational runs I've ever seen in my life..not just in Winter but in Summer also! I think Steve M was bang on when he used to get so agitated over people's reliance on that model. You can tell in here already a few are ready to have hissy fits over another couple of shoddy op runs...Well unless Exter say its not happening I'm inclined to not get to downhearted! And like you say why do so many ignore the anomalies and the means,and all the individual ensemble members! The 6z mean looks just fab! 

I'm not gonna spend my Weekend stressing over a few will it or won't it GFS op runs..let's bring it home

PS I look forward to Petes its nae looking to bad summary very shortly

gens-31-1-96.png

gens-31-1-120.png

gens-31-1-144.png

gens-31-1-168.png

gens-31-1-192.png

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I’m actually astonished by the continued negativity!..given how great the ECM 0z ens mean looks..as well as all the other great output..jeez  ..for example!..I’m really just stupefied.. ...is that even a word?... ..ps.. I’ve had clarification..stupefied is a genuine word! ..   

It’s not being negative Mr Snow, it’s being realistic. There’s undoubtedly good signals in the ensemble packs however it would be silly to ignore the solutions that don’t paint a great picture, even more so when the when those are the exact solutions that have pretty much won out since the start of May (down here at least) 8 or 9days ago all the models were hinting high pressure would be parked over the UK now and temps into the mid twenties, look where we are, currently 4-7C below average across large parts of the south. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

It’s not being negative Mr Snow, it’s being realistic. There’s undoubtedly good signals in the ensemble packs however it would be silly to ignore the solutions that don’t paint a great picture, even more so when the when those are the exact solutions that have pretty much won out since the start of May (down here at least) 8 or 9days ago all the models were hinting high pressure would be parked over the UK now and temps into the mid twenties, look where we are, currently 4-7C below average across large parts of the south. 

All I can say is, remind me never to visit bournemouth, the micro climate down there sounds crap! ...there’s fantastic support from the mean charts for summery weather to return...a few rogue op runs count for nothing!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Afternoon all

As usual, @Tamaraputs it far more eloquently than I ever can - my brother is currently in the Canaries and today they are having showers and 24c before the sun returns from tomorrow.

The 00Z ECM did look encouraging but the 06Z GFS does not with the "rinse and repeat" pattern of the attempted ridging NE of the Azores HP being only partially successful before the trough sinks SE back across NW Europe - to be fair, for northern Britain this doesn't remain a bad evolution with heights to the north while southern Britain has periodic interruptions of unsettled conditions as the trough sits over the Channel or northern France.

I wonder if we might have to wait for some extra-tropical energy to give the Azores HP a "kick" into Europe but there's little sign of that yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

All I can say is, remind me never to visit bournemouth, the micro climate down there sounds crap! ...there’s fantastic support from the mean charts for summery weather to return...a few rogue op runs count for nothing!  

I'd say its the opposite, the ops runs need to be taken very closely in this sort of set-up, the ensembles typically struggle to pick out little lows and the mean charts will absolutely not pick up such features that could cause an earlier breakdown at this range. How many times have we seen cracking ens means in winter only to see the ops pick up little lows that scupper the whole thing in the past?

Tamara has laid out very nicely how on a knife edge we are. The ECM looks like it manages to lock in the pattern but the GFS/GEM just keeps it as a brief interlude before the whole lot shifts back into the same sort of pattern we've seen countless times already.

As Tamara said, there is definately a route open to more sustained dry/warm weather, but its very far from a lock at this stage and I'd argue we've probably taken a step away in the last day from that solution.

I happen to think also it will lock in at some point for a 1-2 week period, its just I think we may have to wait a couple more weeks yet and have another bite of the cherry so to speak.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, due to popular demand, I think it's fair to say that the GEFS temperature ensembles are nae bad. And, though nothing is certain, the colder blip, around July 22, is confined entirely to the op. (the control's blip comes along later!) Only time will tell?

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well firstly the Ops runs are a much higher resolution than their ensemble counterparts so should never be completely discounted, especially when a couple of the Ops runs from differing models together go against the means just like they did this morning. 

As for here its been utterly terrible, the last 22days average max is just 18.7C and only once has it reached average of 22C. The stats don’t lie, that’s dreadful. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'd say its the opposite

That doesn’t surprise me!  

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'd say its the opposite

That doesn’t surprise me!  

duplication.. ..I really should know better, only been here for 16 years..  

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 4