Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

The rain on the drive home from just outside Biggar right to the Edinburgh City bypass was brutal! 

• Like 2

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted

Another warm day, unfortunately we've missed all of the downpours to our north and east, hopefully we catch some over the next few days. This is a photo of the cell developing over Glasgow a short while ago. 

20210702_190923.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

In my post yesterday I noted that the sky was completely overcast and I guessed that it would rain shortly; well, I was wrong. I've been wrong before, twice actually, but almost from the point when I shut down my computer the sky started clearing and by 5pm the sun was splitting the heavens and my back garden was infested with blokes drinking beer. This morning we're back to an overcast sky and the only thing that's splitting is my heid.

Temperature was at 20.2deg.C at 11:52 up from a minimum of 12.0deg.C at 01:21 and it's currently 18.7deg.C, humidity is 70%, wind 1 to 3mph southerly, pressure is 1011.6hPa falling slowly, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8.8 but it's still a bright enough day.

Strange thing happened this morning when I came in to my office. There was a bird in it. With wings and feathers and things. No windows or doors had been open and although there is a birds' nest in the eaves directly above there are no apparent apertures 'tween here and there. Odd!

• Like 4

Posted

Had heavy bursts of rain here for about the past hour ridiculously humid too

• Like 4

Posted

A haary day in the east Neuk. It’s now lifted to a general grey haze. 15c/14c. 

• Like 4

Posted

Last few days has seen the weather deteriorate gradually.

Overnight rain cleared to a murky and humid morning, the sun valiantly trying to break through and allowing temperatures to get up to 19.6c.

Since lunchtime though the Haar has gained the upper hand, now classic Aberdeenshire Permagloom with the added frisson of some spots of rain in the light to moderate SE wind.  Temperatures dropping, now 15.7c.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Tis deja vu forth doing it again if u run the radar from about 2:15 it's been on the same track and intensifying, under the white with gutters overflowing somehow no thunder Screenshot_20210703_153849.thumb.jpg.392564b13a9d1043102dac523951011b.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
    41 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Tis deja vu forth doing it again if u run the radar from about 2:15 it's been on the same track and intensifying, under the white with gutters overflowing somehow no thunder Screenshot_20210703_153849.thumb.jpg.392564b13a9d1043102dac523951011b.jpg

Amazingly dry central Edinburgh , just enough rain to slightly dampen ground , totally different story on east side of Edinburgh apparently , looks like we won’t get much soon according to radar 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

We had an awful day yesterday, not all weather related. Went from Jedburgh up to Hamilton for the husband to look at a bike for sale. Got lost - were supposed to go through Carluke but somehow missed it. Unless it moved. Ended up on the M74 goimng SOUTH and had to come off turn round and start again. Hamilton is huuge and for us coming from a town where there isn't even one set of lights, it was horrible 🥶 Then we got lost again on the way home. Bloody terrible day - rained most of the way up and some real downpours on the motorway. Not moving out of here for a week now!

• Like 6

Posted

There's a torrential shower moving through here now but no thunder unfortunately. It's still building so somebody further north may get something from it! Dropped a decent amount of rain so the garden is looking happier, the grass was going brown because of lack of rainfall which doesn't often happen here! 

• Like 5

Posted
    Posted (edited)

I heard a rumble of thunder a few minutes ago. Interesting looking cloud - is it a shelf cloud. 

AF51C67B-0758-4819-A023-AA771C62561D.jpeg

06257879-9591-47ED-8C29-E3A1083EC693.jpeg

22801498-CDB4-4578-91CC-14BE7C4CE555.jpeg

44B1D9B6-D658-4590-A963-C06AC9DC065E.jpeg

Edited by A Winter's Tale
    • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
    4 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

I heard a rumble of thunder a few minutes ago. Interesting looking cloud - is it a shelf cloud. 

AF51C67B-0758-4819-A023-AA771C62561D.jpeg

06257879-9591-47ED-8C29-E3A1083EC693.jpeg

22801498-CDB4-4578-91CC-14BE7C4CE555.jpeg

44B1D9B6-D658-4590-A963-C06AC9DC065E.jpeg

Nice shots yep it's a gust front (shelf cloud) normally when you see the cells being linear on radar good chance of seeing that on the leading edge 😀

Nothing overhead here so far but this to the south west about an hour ago IMG_20210704_130137.thumb.jpg.5fbd32d4073f21bc82f7423e2893543c.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Few more downpours here and I can hear distant thunder from the cell over North Glasgow. Looks like that will be causing some flash flooding in places! 

• Like 6

Posted

Sure I heard a distant grumble somewhere too not quite got the showers the other sides are getting though

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Plenty of stuff brewing out there now ⚡🌩️⚡Screenshot_20210704_144525.thumb.jpg.7b4191e09a8ce801289dc5f3279c24bb.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Impressive thunder  and lightning on here now along with torrential  rain. Will help to relieve the  dustbowl conditions caused by June's  weather 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just needs the touch paper lit...

image.thumb.png.644d18dcdbe3bae03d7877f1d1495b4a.png

• Like 9

Posted
    26 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Impressive thunder  and lightning on here now along with torrential  rain. Will help to relieve the  dustbowl conditions caused by June's  weather 

not seen much  Lighting in Nairn  but lot of Thunder 

• Like 3

Posted

Frequent thunder and flashes of lightning here with absolutely biblical rain! 

• Like 4

Posted
    Posted (edited)

Another short but very sharp downpour indeed one thing for sure it won't be as dry as it was during June here 😉

OK huge downpour not had many today but cor

Edited by NUT
    • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
    Posted (edited)
    On 02/07/2021 at 15:54, 101_North said:

Just stopped off for a coffee on our way home from a week in SW Scotland near Dalbeattie. As good a week of weather as I can ever remember on a staycation! Sun has shone for 7 days straight and felt very warm at times. Kids were in the sea most days (carefully timed visits to meet the incoming tides) loads of fantastic walks and bike rides in the surrounding forests. Cracking bit of the country! Sad to be heading home really 😜

On 02/07/2021 at 16:46, scott125 said:

SW Scotland Is overlooked for holidays! 

Been sunny and warm all week, not really hot but humid at times.

Certainly been some good weather down here this past week, you timed it well as we’re often wet but warmish. Perfect summer weather with temps getting no higher than 25c or so. Wasn’t overly pleasant to sleep off nightshift though or to wear lots of kit in the blaring sun.

I know through work that a high % of vehicles in the area are registered to places which suggest folk are enjoying staycations. Great for the local economy

Not sure for how long it’ll be overlooked as lots of property is being bought by money from down South.

Some photos from the past week (Not all taken by me). Some nice sunsets!

194623A8-E2F7-466F-B22F-4CE29EBCF819.jpeg

A70A127E-2930-4F34-9038-5DD06A57DFE0.jpeg

AF703D18-1FA0-4F99-8982-E376D98485BD.jpeg

ABEBD88E-30D7-406B-8E33-851BEC5B0D93.jpeg

076B8B18-A486-45D9-A2A2-AA00D895EE0C.jpeg

Edited by SW Saltire
    • Like 8

Posted

Nothing of interest here as yet just the haar. 🙄

A27152B0-BAEA-4B73-A188-48F5F4660E08.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Flash fooding being reported across the city, that was a big storm ...

• Like 7

Posted
    45 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Flash fooding being reported across the city, that was a big storm ...

Yep. Had 3 attempts to get where I needed to be about 30 mins ago. Roads were bad. Saw one moron stuck almost bonnet deep with their hazards on! Always one that has to attempt it when everyone else is turning back!!

• Like 5