Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Finding some positives out of the model output this morning is like trying to find a needle in a haystack! Only thing I can say is a washout looks unlikely. Also bank holiday weekend looking pretty iffy at best.

Posted

It's too dry. Where are April showers, where is the Spring rain. Lawns drying out, ponds evaporating to the level I need to assist it which otherwise would not happen until summer and the sun index is 6 which in my experience is unhead of for April late alone May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Worst possible weather for this town for next weekend would be an old fashioned BH washout. Would be bordering on catastrophic for a lot of the small cafes here, as quite a few have outdoor tables squeezed in along the sides of pavements/roads where there just isn't room for tents. They'd basically have no custom at all, as plenty of people are prepared to sit outdoors in coats if it's just chilly but most won't come into town in the first place if it's wet.

So much as I dislike the 11 °C easterly greyness we've had so much this spring, that wouldn't be the worst weather over the BH. Lots of rain would be worse, by a mile. From the Tuesday after the BH it's not such a big deal, for the BH weekend itself it's a massive deal. So it'll doubtless pour down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Although that wind needs to go away, these unbroken sunshine days (here at least) has given me such nice positive vibes, I know we need the rain it's important but you can't say that having unbroken sunshine is a bad thing to have from all horrible weather we've endured (except those 3 days near the end of march) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Hare said:

Worst possible weather for this town for next weekend would be an old fashioned BH washout. Would be bordering on catastrophic for a lot of the small cafes here, as quite a few have outdoor tables squeezed in along the sides of pavements/roads where there just isn't room for tents. They'd basically have no custom at all, as plenty of people are prepared to sit outdoors in coats if it's just chilly but most won't come into town in the first place if it's wet.

So much as I dislike the 11 °C easterly greyness we've had so much this spring, that wouldn't be the worst weather over the BH. Lots of rain would be worse, by a mile. From the Tuesday after the BH it's not such a big deal, for the BH weekend itself it's a massive deal. So it'll doubtless pour down!

Agree, unfortunately GFS 06z looks like bringing in more unsettled conditions, I still don't think it'll be a washout but really any precip will put people off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Agree, unfortunately GFS 06z looks like bringing in more unsettled conditions, I still don't think it'll be a washout but really any precip will put people off.

It won't be quite so bad if it's showery, we'll probably at least get people who live here popping in for takeaways in that case. Will still be bad, just probably not an utter disaster. (The Sunday would be the "best" day for any real rain as that's usually the quietest day on a BH weekend.) The timing is unfortunate though. Easter was before cafe tables were open anyway, and hopefully the late May BH will have an indoor option. So this coming BH is the one where the weather is the most important of all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

This April looks like it'll end up with well over 200 hours of sun here, so decently above the average of 170. Already on 150 hours raw so probably 160-165 hours true value.

It's a good start after the 6 month spell of record cloudiness, hopefully it lasts until October to even out the spell we just had.

Of course, we have had 200+ hour Aprils followed by cloudy summers in 2002, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2020.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

The BBC monthly outlook looks decent for Mays End, High pressure building with Southerly air from Africa and Spain, expected to last a week or two. I'm all for that. 

Where is any sign of that in model output? 

Posted

Superb weather today, cloudless skies, high teen maxima. Entering the best part if the year in my opinion. May just around the corner  is there a month as exquisite, and full of positivity, answer no! May the month par excellence!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Would be perfect spring weather if these gusty winds cleared off, would have been warm otherwise.

Posted

Once again beautiful weather and I am not complaining in that respect in terms of lovely sunshine but a max 16c and the nagging wind. I had to stick the central heating on this evening watching the snooker!  My ideal is warm and humid and this is everything but. But there you go. See what May brings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Once again beautiful weather and I am not complaining in that respect in terms of lovely sunshine but a max 16c and the nagging wind. I had to stick the central heating on this evening watching the snooker!  My ideal is warm and humid and this is everything but. But there you go. See what May brings.

So good O'Sullivan is out!

• Like 1

Posted

Well, 7 of the last 8 days have had virtually full sun here, and the next few look similar. 
188 hours of sun so far, so it looks like beating April 2020 here (208.5 hours, both totals slightly under the true value due to early morning shading).

Also only 2.6mm of rain so far.

Those two aspects are reminding me a bit of last May (though then I recorded a very impressive 303.8 hours of sun).

Temperatures obviously a lot lower, 16 air frosts here. Feels a bit of an unusual month really, however it's been great for working outside recently, have hardly got wet this spring.

Also last Saturday at only 12C was still quite nice to sit out when my cousin visited, just a light jumper needed. Ok the air may feel cool in the shade and it's not shorts and t-shirt weather but I don't expect that for most days in April.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

Well, 7 of the last 8 days have had virtually full sun here, and the next few look similar. 
188 hours of sun so far, so it looks like beating April 2020 here (208.5 hours, both totals slightly under the true value due to early morning shading).

Also only 2.6mm of rain so far.

Those two aspects are reminding me a bit of last May (though then I recorded a very impressive 303.8 hours of sun).

Temperatures obviously a lot lower, 16 air frosts here. Feels a bit of an unusual month really, however it's been great for working outside recently, have hardly got wet this spring.

Also last Saturday at only 12C was still quite nice to sit out when my cousin visited, just a light jumper needed. Ok the air may feel cool in the shade and it's not shorts and t-shirt weather but I don't expect that for most days in April.

Yes mornings and evenings still very cool, after 7pm becomes uncomfortable unless well wrapped up and heater, a reminder it is only April. Still many hospitality businesses will be very pleased with conditions since 12th, in England I add..

When was the last time we had 2 April's back to back carbon copy if each other except temp wise, this one a much cooler version of last April. Both exceptionally dry and sunny.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Britneyfan said:

These sunny days are doing wonders for the inside temps my living room is a toasty 25° at 10.20pm! No heating for me tonight 

15c in my gaff at 8pm. You must have a micro climate or summat 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Yes mornings and evenings still very cool, after 7pm becomes uncomfortable unless well wrapped up and heater, a reminder it is only April. Still many hospitality businesses will be very pleased with conditions since 12th, in England I add..

When was the last time we had 2 April's back to back carbon copy if each other except temp wise, this one a much cooler version of last April. Both exceptionally dry and sunny.

They don’t compare remotely in London that was much more consistent, the last week in London has been sunny but that’s only real impressive nature this month and frosts. I’ve only had 2-4 days above average rest below. It seems the best of abnormal warmth and sunshine has been further north and west. Places like Herne Bay on north Kent coast haven’t got above 14C it’s unknown for April to see such low highest maximum - constant onshore flow and North Sea is chilly so unsurprising. 

+ Manston hasn’t surpassed 13.2C

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Goodness the GFS 18z run from last night was just awful. Just look at those ensembles. 

This morning GFS replaces the freezer later on with a washout

6713D810-25A3-4EC9-8446-F7EAEA927372.jpeg

Posted

Yeesh. We've now had 2 successive very wet, flooding winters here, so we don't need the rain nearly as much as some other parts of the UK. The back lawn is still pretty green despite all the sunshine. As such this is not an outlook that fills me with joy!

If at some point in May we suddenly get 25 °C it's going to feel like a furnace!

Posted
10 hours ago, Daniel* said:

They don’t compare remotely in London that was much more consistent, the last week in London has been sunny but that’s only real impressive nature this month and frosts. I’ve only had 2-4 days above average rest below. It seems the best of abnormal warmth and sunshine has been further north and west. Places like Herne Bay on north Kent coast haven’t got above 14C it’s unknown for April to see such low highest maximum - constant onshore flow and North Sea is chilly so unsurprising. 

+ Manston hasn’t surpassed 13.2C

Yes my post skewed somewhat by conditions here, which have been very good, western parts fairing better than eastern parts due to the predominance of northerly / easterly airflow. Last April we had more of a direct anticyclonic influence meaning the country nationwide did very well.

Ground condition wise, we are also in a fairly similiar state to this time last year, despite recent weeks being very dry, its only the top soil surface of the ground that is very dry. We had a very wet March, thanks to the deluge late in the month - see the rainfall maps, Lake District dark blue! Last winter though was quite a bit wetter than the one we just had, but overall winter 20-21 was average.

Edited by damianslaw