Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Haven't gone above 14c here so far this April, only just managed to at the end of March. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

This dry weather is getting boring now.  Can we please have some showers and a bit of a breeze?  I miss April showers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
7 hours ago, Simon M said:

This dry weather is getting boring now.  Can we please have some showers and a bit of a breeze?  I miss April showers.

There is a possibility that we will be getting exactly just that around the end of the month. 

As a gardener, it will be nice to get some showers which would save me the job of having to keep watering the plants myself.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.954f31c99df98a4faa7dddb2871ba8c5.png

Things like this are annoying me too. Pretty much everywhere else get the clear skies, and we get infill to spoil the day. Grrrrrrr

Posted
10 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Looking decidedly average (maybe a touch below) for the remainder of spring.

Lets hope summer delivers.

Looks solidly below average temp wise.

27FD37C6-F5AF-4770-8057-C09323CB94AB.thumb.png.7a4d293cd3c49d0988d6186bcfc35fbe.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

This looks about average for mid April, no sign of any warmth though.

Early May looks bad though. Hopefully we go the 2013 route for the summer (even though June that year was poor).

Edited by B87

Posted
27 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Looks solidly below average temp wise.

27FD37C6-F5AF-4770-8057-C09323CB94AB.thumb.png.7a4d293cd3c49d0988d6186bcfc35fbe.png

These charts aren't particularly accurate anyway....that shows a max of 15c for today, and London is already at 16c by midday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

At least daytime temperatures have been around average here the last few days even if the nights are still on the cold side.

Not looking great into early May but then there’s often an unsettled spell in late April into May before the first heat from midmonth so fingers crossed. I just hope it’s a slack cyclonic spell with heavy showers rather than a westerly onslaught.

Posted
23 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

These charts aren't particularly accurate anyway....that shows a max of 15c for today, and London is already at 16c by midday. 

It’s 15C here at the moment and I’m close to London City Airport so it will be close places like Heathrow always overperform, not usually that far off 1-2C, looks like a lengthy period with below average temps if it turns wetter which it look like it will do near end of month, folk will really start complaining. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It’s 15C here at the moment and I’m close to London City Airport so it will be close places like Heathrow always overperform, not usually that far off 1-2C, looks like a lengthy period with below average temps if it turns wetter which it look like it will do near end of month, folk will really start complaining. 

I suspect some of it may be down to ground conditions being underplayed by models. Soil is bone dry and there is no moisture at all in the top layers, so there is increased ground heating when compared to the norm. That blast of ultra low humidity and dewpoints has sucked the life out of the ground!

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I suspect some of it may be down to ground conditions being underplayed by models. Soil is bone dry and there is no moisture at all in the top layers, so there is increased ground heating when compared to the norm. That blast of ultra low humidity and dewpoints has sucked the life out of the ground!

I don’t think I’ve ever known such a turnaround January was extremely wet for areas adjacent to Thames the cold rain was relentless, never seen soils so saturated, now the soil is baked and cracked. As you say the chilly weather with exceptionally low dew points really sucked the moisture away from topsoil. I know there’s no relationship between dry April’s and wet summers but it does leave me a bit apprehensive.

I’ve only had 0.2mm this month the last rain >1mm was March 26th almost 4 weeks! 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

No complaints from me about the current weather, 20C + would be greedy, but 15-17C is small variation above the mean and is more than good enough in the sunshine to be comfortable outside. One bad day tomorrow then rest of the week looks brilliant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
4 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I don’t think I’ve ever known such a turnaround January was extremely wet for areas adjacent to Thames the cold rain was relentless, never seen soils so saturated, now the soil is baked and cracked. As you say the chilly weather with exceptionally low dew points really sucked the moisture away from topsoil. I know there’s no relationship between dry April’s and wet summers but it does leave me a bit apprehensive.

I’ve only had 0.2mm this month the last rain >1mm was March 26th almost 4 weeks! 

Of course there have been many fast turnarounds.Winter 1994 was very wet and suddenly turned dry,the longest,driest period in over a Century in fact.1989 and 2013 both also a very dry spell after a long wet period.What i think that most people do not realise is it dries up so fast at this time of year not just because of warm and very dry weather but because the plants and trees are starting to grow at their fastest rate and literally drink the ground dry.

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

No complaints from me about the current weather, 20C + would be greedy, but 15-17C is small variation above the mean and is more than good enough in the sunshine to be comfortable outside. One bad day tomorrow then rest of the week looks brilliant.

Right, the next few days look very pleasant. 16 to 18c is perfect spring weather, though the south looks cooler than the north where it'd be hard to escape the low teens. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Today in N Worcs was superb until mid-afternoon, with temps around 16 °C and bucketloads of sun. A very nice day to be out and about, especially since at this time of year warmth doesn't usually come with sticky humidity. The grass in these parts is still pretty green so I don't think we need rain just yet. Though there is a bank holiday weekend coming up...!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Sea fog rolled in early afternoon and the temp dropped from 14 to 10c pretty quickly, still waiting for some warmth this April. It's the only downside living on the coast in spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, Snowy L said:

15-17c is pretty much average temps for the second half of April here. I don't think asking for a couple of 20c days in April is being greedy, my long term mean maximum in April is 22c, with 3 days above 20c on average.

Edited by B87

Posted

Feeling more like mid Sping past 2 days, temps climbed to 16-17 degrees, a bit above the average. Today more cloudy than yesterday, but definately an improvement on much of the month temperature wise. Also lost the frosts, the last two nights have been quite mild, and its currently very mild at 11.6 degrees.. at this stage many an evening this month we've already been sat around the 4 degree mark.

More of a chillier feeling rest of the week, but not too bad.

Second half of April is very much a transitional period as we finally wave goodbye to the threat of any notable cold (yes May can certainly deliver quite cold days, but very rarely with any bite), and slip slowly into an early summer base state (May can be the sunniest month of the year, and often delivers the first bout of heat of the year - not always, but 25 degrees can easily be achieved under high pressure directly overhead, even here!).

• Like 1

Posted

Very pleasant spring day today, however it must be said, this weather is now getting very boring. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Coldest April here in the Czech Republic since 1941, apparently. It’s been relentlessly grim, but today reached 17°C in the sunshine - lovely ☺️ 

Posted
9 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Any significant rainfall in the models will likely just keep being pushed back. Saw it all winter with the cold and snow always being pushed back.  

I recall seeing Manchester quite a fair bit of snow in winter gone though? It wasn’t a mild winter either. 

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

6 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Any significant rainfall in the models will likely just keep being pushed back. Saw it all winter with the cold and snow always being pushed back.  

6 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I recall seeing Manchester quite a fair bit of snow in winter gone though? It wasn’t a mild winter either. 

Well there were 16 days of lying snow at my location, 9 miles to SW of Manchester and I'm almost at sea level, so not sure what 38.7C is on about. It was the "wintriest" winter since 2009-10 according to the winter index and I reckon the period from Christmas to late January 2021 was the snowiest since 2009-10

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted

The first day since the 10th without an air frost (min 2.9C), so we stand at 16 air frosts this month. The mean min was -1.0C up to yesterday. Lowest min was -3.7C

Lovely sunny spring days though with nearly 4 days of full sunshine. Recent Minima/maxima:

Sat: -3.7C/12.3C
Sun:  -2.3C/15.1C
Mon: -1.7C/12.8C 
Tue: -1.6C/16.0C

I find it slightly interesting how it drops from 15.1C to reach -1.7C, yet it never would drop that far in a cold spell, e.g. after the 8C maxima earlier in the month it would never have dropped by 16.8C to reach -8.8C here, let alone in winter. Maybe ground temps act as a buffer.

Edited by Evening thunder