Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted

The average April max of last 10 years at Heathrow.  Only 3 years not 15C+ 

2010: 15.8C

2011:  19.5C

2012: 13.3C

2013: 13.3C

2014: 16.1C

2015: 16.3C

2016: 13.5C

2017: 15.8C

2018: 15.4C

2019: 15.8C

2020: 18.1C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Third successive day here in Bewdley with wintry showers; a fairly heavy flurry around dawn, though it didn't settle. Not sure when that last happened in these parts as late in the spring as this. Winter is hanging on here, and to be frank I'd rather it didn't, it's had its time. The week ahead looks dry and fairly useable, I suppose, but I'm expecting a run of frustrating days: nice bright starts, then grey, chilly-feeling afternoons. 15 °C and sunshine really shouldn't be too much to ask for by the second half of April, which we enter on Friday. Grumble.

• Like 1

Outlook for the immediate future looks poor, and poorer than I'd have expected 3-4days ago, cold frosty nights, short amounts of brightness then quickly clouding over leading to cold days at just 8-10C. Latest GFS has nowhere getting near average for at least another 10days before plunging us into another very cold northerly towards the end of the month. 

Certainly the coldest April since 1989 which was 6.6C and the only sub 7C in that time, 1986's 5.8C was the second coldest of the 20th Century behind 5.5C from 1922. 1922 & 1986 defo safe as current CET is 5.7C and should nudge up a touch. 6.5-7.0C looks a good bet. 

Posted

We beat two April records this morning: lowest minimum on record (-3.4C previously -3.1C in 1990) and the first April with 6 air frosts (and more to come by the looks).

Its not everyone's cup of tea admittedly, but its interesting to break a few cold records for a change.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I would be surprised if we finished below 7.2C purely as it's not common to be cooler than a fairly average March.

That said a wonderful cool month.

• Like 1

Posted

One small plus is it doesn't feel like 7C out there thanks to the sun. I'm guessing we would need a 15C or so in January to get the same "feels like" temperature. This rubbish can still do one though.

46 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I would be surprised if we finished below 7.2C purely as it's not common to be cooler than a fairly average March.

That said a wonderful cool month.

April's CET has only finished lower than Marchs only around 14times in 350years of Hadley data. Amazingly 6, so nearly half have been since 1978. 

Also of the 14 times its happened 8 April CETs were 7.2C or below. 

image.thumb.png.b2b67ac1cb3016bc431b1063bb7bcf37.png

Posted

Looks like ending up a notably frosty April, frostiest since ? We are having day after day of air frosts.. already beaten many a winter month!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Outlook for the immediate future looks poor, and poorer than I'd have expected 3-4days ago, cold frosty nights, short amounts of brightness then quickly clouding over leading to cold days at just 8-10C. Latest GFS has nowhere getting near average for at least another 10days before plunging us into another very cold northerly towards the end of the month. 

Certainly the coldest April since 1989 which was 6.6C and the only sub 7C in that time, 1986's 5.8C was the second coldest of the 20th Century behind 5.5C from 1922. 1922 & 1986 defo safe as current CET is 5.7C and should nudge up a touch. 6.5-7.0C looks a good bet. 

Don't forget 1917 at 5.4C. The first half was the coldest in the CET record (2.6C).

Currently 18C and sunny. I'm soaking up the sun on the balcony before tomorrow's dramatic plunge back into winter. I'm expecting snow to fall but not to stick. We'll see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AderynCoch said:

Don't forget 1917 at 5.4C. The first half was the coldest in the CET record (2.6C).

Currently 18C and sunny. I'm soaking up the sun on the balcony before tomorrow's dramatic plunge back into winter. I'm expecting snow to fall but not to stick. We'll see.

Yep, I just missed that one!!

GFS ensembles trending cool at the end of the month with some really quite cold members in there again, I'd say the changes of April being colder than March have to be at least 50/50 if not as much as 70/30 in favour with current output.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Outlook for the immediate future looks poor, and poorer than I'd have expected 3-4days ago, cold frosty nights, short amounts of brightness then quickly clouding over leading to cold days at just 8-10C.

That sounds like the typical scenario of cumulus hitting a cap and spreading out into stratocumulus.  It can be an issue in anticyclonic spells if the air mass is relatively moist, but I don't see much evidence of it being widely forecast for the coming week - we have a dry polar air mass over the UK where the low relative humidity should help prevent extensive stratocumulus from developing.  The most likely source of cold cloudy weather in this setup is if the high pressure drifts north allowing an easterly flow to take hold across a large part of the country.  Some recent GFS runs have been showing this, albeit not until into next weekend, but for as long as the UKMO and ECMWF continue to not support this scenario I won't be too concerned.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
17 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Same rhetoric at the same point in the year..

Something is beginning to click now, though.. Why do your weather preferences include the word "hot" in them?

Same rhetoric from yourself...every year.  You conveniently avoid the "interesting" word i use in my weather preferences.

Posted

Well the sunbathing didn't last long. It quickly clouded over, the wind picked up and the temperature began to drop like a stone. A nearby station (Stupava) has gone from 17.7C to 8.7C in just the last two hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Noticed a tree in the back garden has been in suspense for a couple of weeks. That warm spell made the buds half open on the leaves but for two weeks has remained in that state. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Noticed a tree in the back garden has been in suspense for a couple of weeks. That warm spell made the buds half open on the leaves but for two weeks has remained in that state. 

I’ve noticed that too. Trees look exactly the same at April 1. The magnolias round here have turned brown due to the frost. They are an eyesore now.

• Like 1

Posted

What is the mean CET value 5-13 April, must be one of the coldest in a long while.. we've been returning means consistently below 4 degrees, today 3 degrees, some days into the 2s territory, last Monday below 2 degrees. This is a significant cold spell. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TheOgre said:

I’ve noticed that too. Trees look exactly the same at April 1. The magnolias round here have turned brown due to the frost. They are an eyesore now.

Spring absolutely on hold, I cut my grass several times in March, it’s barely grown in the last two and a half weeks, not really surprising, it was down to nearly -4c a short time ago and been below zero for over 7hrs, hardly springlike.

Posted

Good grief it's horrible out there. 2-3C with horizontal sleet. I nearly got blown over on the way back from the shop.

No lying snow as expected but there's been a bit higher up. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

image.thumb.png.08292cabbec3bf9d2f9ab69844ba05bb.png

perfect spring weather here wall to wall sunshine ..frosty mornings warm afternoons..doesn't get any better than this 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

What's the chances this month could be the coldest April on record? Needs to come in below 5.7°C here, which was 1986. I reckon it's possible especially with the dire outlook.