Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
3 hours ago, Frigid said:

I loved Summer 2020 cus of the variety. Thunderstorms, good warm spells especially in August and cool intervals. There was something for everyone. Summer 2018 however, whilst the sunny days were nice, the heat was too much and many sleepless nights occured 

Yes it did have variety. The thundery period in August, although a little hit and miss, was notable. We could do with more widespread storms this coming summer, and overnight ones. Something my area hasn't seen since May 2018. 

I just a bit let down by the dull June and July periods. Summer 2018 was much nicer, because we had longer sunny spells in the peak of summer, which started in early May.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Decent snow shower just now. I guess it has been a far more interesting month so far than much of March!

• Like 1

Posted

Something you don’t see often in the UK in April. Most of the country seeing brief snow showers. Even if it doesn’t stick, it’s still pretty significant. Funny how this time last year, I was experiencing 20c highs. 

7FE3E417-C75E-476F-AB2A-9011E6F5CA4E.thumb.jpeg.ed33c24da2ce4f4f202a26314ef75b0c.jpeg

Posted
16 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Something you don’t see often in the UK in April. Most of the country seeing brief snow showers. Even if it doesn’t stick, it’s still pretty significant. Funny how this time last year, I was experiencing 20c highs. 

7FE3E417-C75E-476F-AB2A-9011E6F5CA4E.thumb.jpeg.ed33c24da2ce4f4f202a26314ef75b0c.jpeg

There were some chilly days in April 2020, but nothing freezing cold. I do recall days when the temp was hovering around 14-15c, which is pleasant in the sun, but still quite cold in the shade. The nature of spring is changeable, but it really is cold this time round.

I think 1981 produced some really cold weather in spring, and even May was chilly, but it did turn hot later on. Maybe with all this colder air, we will get more thundery activity as temps start to rise again.

Its official this April is snowier than the dreadful BFTE we had in Feb given we've had one brief snow/graupel shower. Shows just how rubbish our climate is, can't snow in winter when properly cold and when cold is the last thing anyone wants it snows. Can't wait to move to warmer clims.....

Posted

Managed to get the briefest of coatings earlier thanks to the intensity of the squall. Then the sun came out... 

IMG_20210406_152250.thumb.jpg.db4cd2109c4a41264b0a3aa49572638e.jpg

Still, it's the first April snowcover I've seen here since the exceptional late blizzard of 19th April 2017, which delivered 15-20cm of snow and afternoon temperatures hovering just above zero.

Posted

More snow falling today than March 2018 to January 2021 combined but just as much lying on the ground and cycling to work felt colder and more miserable today @+2C than it did in February @-8C 

Edited by ArHu3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Its official this April is snowier than the dreadful BFTE we had in Feb given we've had one brief snow/graupel shower. Shows just how rubbish our climate is, can't snow in winter when properly cold and when cold is the last thing anyone wants it snows. Can't wait to move to warmer clims.....

Being on the south coast I've given up caring about snow given how extremely rare it is, even in winter. It only snows when it's suppose to warm up.

Posted

Haven’t felt this cold in April since 2013. Truly is bitter out there under the blue skies. It was 2c here at 4pm under a heavy snow shower. Haven’t seen anything like that in my life. And the fact that it came after a hot spell goes to show how erratic British springs can be. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

The much overhyped BFTE (watered down mark 2) had dew points closer to -4, whereas today the DP has been closer to -13, so much more conducive to something wintry. 

Posted

Feels just as cold as the cold dry spell early February. Ground similarly stripped dry and hard. Air exceptionally dry. Snow showers on and off this afternoon. Max about 4.8 degrees. Temp dropping like a stone now 1.7 degrees. Another sharp frost tonight.

Can someone post lowest maxima and minima today and yesterday, any records broken?

Posted
15 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Feels just as cold as the cold dry spell early February. Ground similarly stripped dry and hard. Air exceptionally dry. Snow showers on and off this afternoon. Max about 4.8 degrees. Temp dropping like a stone now 1.7 degrees. Another sharp frost tonight.

Can someone post lowest maxima and minima today and yesterday, any records broken?

I must have been in a different spell from you in February then- feels totally different in the strong sun.

Granted it is a very cold wind but doesn't feel nearly as bitter to me as that Feb spell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Britneyfan said:

Absolutely vile weather, the only good thing is the strong sun this time of year taking the edge of the bitter cold! Lighter winds here tomorrow and warmer temps so should feel a tad more spring like 

Where??

Posted
8 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I must have been in a different spell from you in February then- feels totally different in the strong sun.

Granted it is a very cold wind but doesn't feel nearly as bitter to me as that Feb spell.

Yes minus the strength of the sun, more in terms of how dry the air is- its exceptional!

Posted

This April is turning out to be a bad one. Bitter winds,  snow showers and frosts. The forecast keeps getting worse and worse. I think we’re in for a cold spring with an April and May like 2013. Hopefully, if it is like that, we'llget a July like 2013 too??

• Like 3

Posted
16 hours ago, Freeze said:

Last summer was beautiful down here lots of very hot sunny days especially June and august, July was warm enough for me. Would love a repeat, I was down the beach almost everyday from June onwards

yeah right 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, Azazel said:

Snowed here earlier. Had the urge to vomit. 

oh dear, it must have some of that southern food....

Horridly cold this morning, temp was down to at least -5C at Bournemouth Airport (record for April is -5.7C) with temp being below freezing for nearly 7hrs, someone on this thread scoffed a couple of days back when I suggested -5C and 6-8hrs below freezing, well there you go! That's a brutal frost for April and especially the gardens and with many more nights like that even covered plants crops wont survive. 

GFS now has temps not getting above 5-7C the entire coming weekend, dreadfully really and nothing close to average of 15C right through the entire run. ECM has another straight northerly at day 10 its just dreadful. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I think our sense of what April should be has been massively warped in the last few years starting in 2007. Out of all the months April has seen the biggest step change in temperatures where it used to be normal to see cold weather.

Also April 1968 was cold.  Not that it actually means anything, just that we've had a few hot days in March followed by a cold April!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1