Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
20 minutes ago, markyo said:

Good, a repeat of 2018 would not be good at all. The damage caused by that summer is still on going.

Nothing wrong with that. 2018 is three years ago. 

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

In a insulated house the wind chill at this level makes no difference.....I  washed my car this morning in shorts and a t shirt, was getting a sweat on! But saying that I haven't been out of shorts at all this winter so may be I'm acclimatised more.

A lot of houses and flats are still cold if they are north facing, like my place. I still have the heating on, and even still have it on low during the night. We don’t stop using it until daytime temps exceed 17-18c on a regular basis. Anything below 16c and the flat becomes really cold. It’s an old Victorian house. 

Trouble is, once we get to 29-32c outside, the flat becomes like an oven. 

• Like 1

Goodness me, the utter garbage being churned out by GFS is unbelievable. We’ll be lucky to get any double digit days before the start of May at this rate. It’s just unrelenting. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
53 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Lol damage? Possibly the daftest comment on this site including the COVID threads....

You've no idea have you...i suggest a bit of research! See below

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

What damage?

So many of those eco systems have not or are only just recovering now

Posted
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yes that was serious, but to say we shouldn’t have another hot summer like 2018 is a bit over the top. We’ve had plenty of damp and cool weather on and off since October, so I think a long warm sunny spell should balance things out. 

Posted

When considering a lengthy spell of temps below average, imo careful consideration should be given to the likely surface analysis for the period. If, for example, the winds are forecast light, precipition low and plenty of sunshine,  then the outlook could be a lot worse.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, markyo said:

Lol fires happen every year, the ones in the spring of 2019 following a wet winter were many many times larger. 

We had the largest fire in yonks last spring, it burnt for 6days. It happens in hot or plainly mild weather and only needs a few days of dry weather.....

Posted
47 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Goodness me, the utter garbage being churned out by GFS is unbelievable. We’ll be lucky to get any double digit days before the start of May at this rate. It’s just unrelenting. 

We haven't had a cold April in 32 years believe it or not, I guess this could be the year looking at the GFS.

Still, its not all doom and gloom. It looks like a northerly/north-westerly dominated pattern so it'll at least be bright and showery as opposed to the horror that was April 2012 (which was still not actually that cold).

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Lol fires happen every year, the ones in the spring of 2019 following a wet winter were many many times larger. 

We had the largest fire in yonks last spring, it burnt for 6days. It happens in hot or plainly mild weather and only needs a few days of dry weather.....

Oh dear, you clearly haven't any idea have you of scale,duration or magnitude. Time to stop the insults and get reading i suspect.

Posted
9 minutes ago, reef said:

We haven't had a cold April in 32 years believe it or not, I guess this could be the year looking at the GFS.

Still, its not all doom and gloom. It looks like a northerly/north-westerly dominated pattern so it'll at least be bright and showery as opposed to the horror that was April 2012 (which was still not actually that cold).

The 80s had three sub 7c CET April’s and none after that. I wonder if this month could be the one 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Here we are again.. a different year but the same members involved in petty squabbling!

Just stop.

2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Oh dear, you clearly haven't any idea have you of scale,duration or magnitude. Time to stop the insults and get reading i suspect.

I’m not sure what you are on about the wiki page you quoted suggested 9,000 acres were burnt in the summer of 2018, the wiki page for the following year suggested in spring of 2019 76,000acres was burnt. Last time I checked 76,000 was a bigger number than 9,000? 

3 minutes ago, Frigid said:

The 80s had three sub 7c CET April’s and none after that. I wonder if this month could be the one 

Yup April is probably up there as one of the most consistently above average months of the year. In fact the since 2013 April here averages nearly 3c above the LTA.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Yup April is probably up there as one of the most consistently above average months of the year. In fact the since 2013 April here averages nearly 3c above the LTA.

Let’s see if August also bucks the more recent dull and meh trend if we are going to have a more typical year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst it may not be all that ideal to some, I'd much rather have below average temps in April than during July when it is high summer. One thing I like about Spring is the erraticness of the weather, the same with autumn. No wonder us Brits (let alone weather enthusiasts) talk about the weather so much.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst it may not be all that ideal to some, I'd much rather have below average temps in April than during July when it is high summer. One thing I like about Spring is the erraticness of the weather, the same with autumn. No wonder us Brits (let alone weather enthusiasts) talk about the weather so much.

Yes agreed, however July seems to be another very above month. I think Heathrow is averaging above 25c since 2013. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I prefer Spring to Autumn. Much more likely to snow like it did this morning and also can get some early proper warmth too. I find Autumn trying at times, either wind and rain or stuck in no man's land with nothing really happening. And often it's not cold enough for snow either.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Bright and sunny but too cold to enjoy it as there are bitter winds. It’s not abnormal to have the occasional northerly in April hopefully it won’t last too long. Feels like January out there.

It felt cold but nothing like January to me- the light is totally different with the much higher sun. A bit like a warm spell in mid October- even if it's 24C it still doesn't feel like summer.

It actually looked warm here this afternoon looking out of the window with a sparkling blue sky- although the illusion was shattered as soon as you stepped outside!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Lol damage? Possibly the daftest comment on this site including the COVID threads....

There's patches of grass here that took a year to recover from being scorched off.

Still the odd grassy area that is completely dead that I see on my walk to work. So yes, there was lasting damage.

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It is nice, from a dry perspective. Plus the atmosphere is still quite fresh, off the back of winter. The dry heat which tends to kick in during late April and May always seems to be accompanied by a fresher feel with clear spells. The humidity seems to follow once we hit late May or early June.

I digress lol. Yes it’s too cold to be walking around in any shirt or light jacket. I wore my winter jacket and hat again. 

I wore by winter thick down jacket today over two layers... can't remember last time I needed such attire in April under blue skies and abundant sunshine! Tomorrow will be exactly the same probably colder.

Outlook - cold cold cold.

Posted

This reminds me of 2013. I remember the constant cold of April 2013 but the difference being that this year all the foliage is coming out as normal, unlike the bleak landscape of 2013 (because of the March). These harsh frosts are going to be a ball ache to garden plants/blossoms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Evening all,

It was very strange being in the garden with warm sun and snow falling at the same time!

Goes to show how cold uppers and very low dew points really help snowflake survive, in fact the dew point went all the way down to -14c, and my lips are showing it!

I'm also in the camp of preferring a cooler than average spring then a warm summer. Spring does have a much wider standard deviation compared to Autumn which in my eyes is a boring time of year, especially late September early October. 

As others have mentioned, it really comes down to sun this time of year!