Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

May snow has been a noticeable casualty of the warming climate since the 1990s.  Until 1997, widespread sleet and snow in May was fairly common, for example in 1982, 1987, 1993, 1995, 1997 and to a lesser extent in 1989 and 1996.  The most widespread of those was probably 1997 when sleet and snow fell even in the far south, and accumulated early on the 7th in some lowland parts of Wales and north-west England.  The most famous example in the past half-century was in 1979 when snow fell widely on each of the first six days of May, with even low-lying parts of the south-west getting a dusting on the ground.  Since 1997 the only particularly widespread example I can think of was on 11 May 2010, when sleet and snow showers fell quite widely from the Midlands northwards. 

The Mays of 2019 and 2020 both produced similar synoptics to those of mid-May 1995 for a time, but in both cases widespread lowland snowfall was confined to the northern half of Scotland with only localised reports of sleet/snow to low levels elsewhere.

We may need a fair bit more warming to kill off April snowfalls, as statistically sleet/snow falling is slightly more common in April than in November in many parts of the UK, and we had fairly widespread snow showers towards the end of April in 2016 and 2017, as well as a surprise snowfall in north-east Scotland in late April 2015.

Last time we had a morning of snow cover at 9am was early May 1997, remember it well, another spring switcharound, there was a very warm spell just 2-3 days before coincided with the general election, I think it was a Monday or Tuesday morning when we had a light snow cover brought on by a bitterly cold northerly airstream, the snow cleared by 11am.

Really is a dire frost situation this week for gardeners, multiple nights widely down to -4c to -6c, not just the usually snap with an hour or so just below freezing at dawn, 6,8,10,12hrs below freezing. It’s really not a good situation. 

Posted

Last year many places had frosts in May after a lot of spring warmth, at least this year things like apple blossom aren't flowering yet and tender plants shouldn't have been put out. Will be a shame for things like magnolias/cherry blossom get frosted though, although that often seems to happen here.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Really is a dire frost situation this week for gardeners, multiple nights widely down to -4c to -6c, not just the usually snap with an hour or so just below freezing at dawn, 6,8,10,12hrs below freezing. It’s really not a good situation. 

Seems a slight exaggeration- those sorts of temps are not going to be typical across England with the breeze around.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Last year many places had frosts in May after a lot of spring warmth, at least this year things like apple blossom aren't flowering yet and tender plants shouldn't have been put out. Will be a shame for things like magnolias/cherry blossom get frosted though, although that often seems to happen here.

Agreed it's a big shame for the blossom, especially after the misery of the last year for many. People around and about were so elated by the warm spell last week it seems and now we get plunged into this- very depressing for people desperately wanting some prolonged warmth.

Posted

Yes the run of sub freezing nights will probably be the most noteworthy aspect of this cold spell, despite the wind, the, the depth of the cold will still produce widespread air frost. 

Right through until the weekend expecting air frosts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Completely pointless nothing weather for the first half of April it would seem. Stuck with winds from the north and suppressed temperatures. If only we had 6 other months in the year that we could get such wonderful weather....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
30 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Completely pointless nothing weather for the first half of April it would seem. Stuck with winds from the north and suppressed temperatures. If only we had 6 other months in the year that we could get such wonderful weather....

What forecast are you looking at? Very normal, very usable weather on offer, no day after day of heavy rain, decent temps, had a good Eater weather wise. What's to moan about....its April.

Edited by markyo

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

What forecast are you looking at? Very normal, very usable weather on offer, no day after day of heavy rain, decent temps, had a good Eater weather wise. What's to moan about....its April.

It’s not normal though, is it. Temperatures should be up around 13/14c at this time of the year, not the 6-10c we’re getting this week.

It’s 4-8c below normal. Not decent temperatures at all. Decent for the middle of January maybe....

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s not normal though, is it. Temperatures should be up around 13/14c at this time of the year, not the 6-10c we’re getting this week.

It’s 4-8c below normal. Not decent temperatures at all. Decent for the middle of January maybe....

No rain, light winds, decent sunshine, i honestly can't see what there is to moan about, its useable and not stopping any outside activity!

2 minutes ago, markyo said:

No rain, light winds, decent sunshine, i honestly can't see what there is to moan about, its useable and not stopping any outside activity!

If it kills your garden there is plenty to complain about. Just got my perennial’s coming back, going to try and get some of them covered today. 

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, markyo said:

Six degrees is not useable.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Six degrees is not useable.

Why? Walk, wash the car, do a bit in the garden, the list is endless

Posted
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Why? Walk, wash the car, do a bit in the garden, the list is endless

I would rather not get hypothermia

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Snowy L said:

Hah

Didn’t you know it’s absolutely wonderful cleaning the car in a gale force northerly wind with a zero windchill? I’ve seen loads of people out doing it!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy L said:

Jumper....Coat....modern inventions

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Hah

Didn’t you know it’s absolutely wonderful cleaning the car in a gale force northerly wind with a zero windchill? I’ve seen loads of people out doing it!

Gale force 2 to 3 at max ....nice breeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

What awful weather to wake up to on an April Spring day. How much longer is this cold going to last?!

change on 12th when low pressure will dominate, been on the cards since 22 Feb

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Some fantastic charts on offer for Jan/Feb, but for April.... pure trash. I suppose the only consolation is that the outlook isn't a wet one or a cloudy easterly one so at least there will be sunshine offer, but other than that - thoroughly uninspiring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
7 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Some fantastic charts on offer for Jan/Feb, but for April.... pure trash. I suppose the only consolation is that the outlook isn't a wet one or a cloudy easterly one so at least there will be sunshine offer, but other than that - thoroughly uninspiring!

Yes, with the sun climbing  at this time of year, if one gets out of the wind even in single digits it won't feel 'too bad.  A far cry from this time last year though.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I’d take this over what we had Thursday to Saturday here for sure. Western areas obviously did well, but we got stuck under North Sea clag for 3 days and it was vile. I’d much rather have 4c and sunshine than 8c and leaden grey skies! 

Posted
35 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

What awful weather to wake up to on an April Spring day. How much longer is this cold going to last?!

Looking at the GFS ensemble graph and with other models supporting it, probably until the latter third of the month 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

Weather is actually so much better than I expected, the sun really is getting its warmth back! When your not in the breeze, it’s pleasant 

Where are you, Cyprus? Just been out, snowing in the wind, 3 layers and gloves on, sun barely made an appearance. Yesterday was pleasant, as was this time last Monday when it was 20c warmer!

• Like 1