Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
4 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Of course you're allowed to express frustration - I do it all the time! But there's a difference between not understanding someone's viewpoint and making insinuations about them. You can't expect not to ruffle some feathers when you claim that other people want plants to die based on nothing but the fact that they happen to like the weather that can cause it.

I know you like hot weather (so do I) so I'm pretty confident you loved Summer 2018. Would it have been fair for others to accuse you then of being fascinated by the killing of plants due to drought/wildfires? Of course not - you were entitled to enjoy the weather even if it brought misery to others. Sitting inside and feeling bad about it wouldn't have helped relieve the drought. And so it is now. Some people prefer cold weather and get excited by any snow prospects. It doesn't mean they're rubbing their hands in glee and laughing maniacally at the thought bad things may come of it.

I don't mean to have a go, but it just frustrates me how often arguments break out because people can't express their own frustrations about the weather without guilt-tripping others because they happen to like the forecast. You don't like what's coming (me neither), others do. That's all there is to it really.

I know what you're saying about people guilt tripping others but I don't do that and I don't think I did that here.

My views differ from the mainstream on this forum but I've been a member for 15 years and although others may not agree with my views I don't guilt trip others for their preferences.

So I don't appreciate you levelling that at me or making assumptions about my intentions.

Slightly hypocritical as well really.

Posted

A generalisation, but suspect a fair number of people who comment in this forum are enthusiasts of the more extremes we can have, whatever the time of year, but possibly with a nod to cold in winter and warmth in summer. The shoulder seasons March-April and Sept-Oct are when we are least likely to experience such extremes, so when there is the prospect of either notable warmth or cold at these times, the interest is turned up to maximum load, given normally conditions are fairly benign and uninteresting. The thread was dead a couple of weeks ago when we had very 'nothing's weather..

Also people look back at yesteryear and the conditions that can occur under 'ideal' set ups.. when models are showing extreme 'ideals' usually a long drawn northerly or easterly for cold, southerly for heat people become more heightened in there response.

The models are showing a potent northerly with depth of cold deep within the arctic, a proper arctic northerly which we have had little of in many a year, so I understand the interest right now, regardless of ig being April, and history has proven such set ups have produced significant cold and snow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm not particularly interested in this colder weather, especially now my Koi have just come out of hibernation and everything is the garden is beginning to show colour. However, living down here, a Northerly doesn't have much of an effect, thankfully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
36 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I know what you're saying about people guilt tripping others but I don't do that and I don't think I did that here.

My views differ from the mainstream on this forum but I've been a member for 15 years and although others may not agree with my views I don't guilt trip others for their preferences.

So I don't appreciate you levelling that at me or making assumptions about my intentions.

Looking over the past exchanges my impression was that you didn't intend to guilt trip others but it came across that way (particularly the post about people getting excited over plants dying, as opposed to getting excited over the weather that can potentially cause it).  It's one of those situations where particularly when emotions are running high, in online rather than face-to-face interactions it's so easy to come across the wrong way and get misinterpreted. 

One issue is that while the preference for warmth differs from the mainstream in winter on this forum, there is a history of the majority flicking a switch on 1 March and then lecturing people who continue to show interest in cold/snow about how they need to "move on" and follow the crowd.  I think it was mainly an issue around 2005-2010, not so much in recent years, but some long-standing members of Netweather (and I admit that these include myself) may be rather sensitive to it after previous bruising experiences.

And yes, many of the sort of people who get attracted to weather forums are particularly interested in things that are unusual and/or extreme.   An unusually cold spell and/or late snowfalls in the spring attracts interest just as an unusually warm southerly in October does.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 4

Posted
51 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

"Many are fascinated by potential damage to plants on this forum which is one of the things I don't understand- that is what concerns me most about Monday and Tuesday."

I'm willing to admit I miscontrued your post, but how else am I supposed to interpret this?

This is all I'm taking issue with. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

"Many are fascinated by potential damage to plants on this forum which is one of the things I don't understand- that is what concerns me most about Monday and Tuesday."

I'm willing to admit I miscontrued your post, but how else am I supposed to interpret this?

This is all I'm taking issue with. 

Why did you need to take issue with it? I think using the word 'disingenuous' was slightly OTT and comes across as very holier than thou.

It's the moan thread after all. In a moment of weakness after months of frustration with lockdown I maybe posted in here a bit rashly but I thought that's what people did in here.

I will think twice before moaning in the moan thread again!

Posted
36 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Looking over the past exchanges my impression was that you didn't intend to guilt trip others but it came across that way (particularly the post about people getting excited over plants dying, as opposed to getting excited over the weather that can potentially cause it).  It's one of those situations where particularly when emotions are running high, in online rather than face-to-face interactions it's so easy to come across the wrong way and get misinterpreted. 

That's fair- I will take an opinion on board like this that isn't having a go. I'm sure what was said would come across very differently in person.

I'm completely open to people pointing something out like that but it's not fair for people to make sweeping judgements in return and to go on the attack.

Posted

But Scorcher, I could just as easily call your original comment a sweeping judgement and going on the attack. Unless there really are people on here fascinated with plants dying, I don't think it was unreasonable to interpret it as a dig.

And no, I'm most definitely not a saint and I admit I could have responded better than I have done. I think a lot of us are at our wit's end right now. It's been a tough winter.

Posted
5 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

But Scorcher, I could just as easily call your original comment a sweeping judgement and going on the attack. Unless there really are people on here fascinated with plants dying, I don't think it was unreasonable to interpret it as a dig.

And no, I'm most definitely not a saint and I admit I could have responded better than I have done. I think a lot of us are at our wit's end right now. It's been a tough winter.

Fair enough, I probably could have worded it better in hindsight. I'm prepared to admit when I'm wrong but there's a way of pointing it out without patronising people.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A reminder to keep posts friendly and respectful please. Below, a couple of a relevant rules if you wish to post in this forum:

• Be Nice! Everyone is welcome to express an opinion, ask a question or share a view so please respect that and treat everyone in the way you'd like to be treated.
  • Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

You can read the full guidelines for members here.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Fair enough, I probably could have worded it better in hindsight. I'm prepared to admit when I'm wrong but there's a way of pointing it out without patronising people.

Yes, I should have worded it better myself.

Take care of yourself and have a good Easter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

In an attempt to break up the scuffle... week after next continues to show signs of a resumption of spring with perhaps above average temperatures again. Next week will be an inconvenience yes, but beyond the 10th/11th weekend I am hopeful of springlike conditions returning.

Let's just hope the stunning cloudscapes and visibility make this cold spell worth it, as I'm not expecting anything impressive snow-wise here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Just got used to some nice spring warmth!

Rancid output for the time of year, but might do us a favour in keeping people indoors over some of the Easter break I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

A quarter of 2021 already gone

2021 the pits, worst start to a year I've ever had

Posted

so temps still going to about 9c Monday according to bbc so not actually that colder after all,hype about nothing then,seen colder temps that that in april before with higher upper air temps,bbc not underplaying this because its cold weather approaching?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

So the GFS shows possibility of snow Monday. Can't imagine much and not unknown to snow in April but hey ho.  It is my day off and not going to be great to look at the garden (he he..got me out of that..)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It’s been a beautiful week in Prague with 24°C reached midweek. Has lifted my spirits immeasurably! I’m suffering symptoms of long covid (since first getting the virus in September), so I’ve been feeling a bit low for some time. The cold front pushed through here last night and today is cold, windy and grey. Am not looking forward to a cold week, but it’s early April and all quite normal. I’m just hoping that there’ll be plenty of sunshine and some beautiful cloudscapes with intense shower activity. That’d be interesting, but days of grey grot, cold winds and not much else will be like pulling teeth.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

so temps still going to about 9c Monday according to bbc so not actually that colder after all,hype about nothing then,seen colder temps that that in april before with higher upper air temps,bbc not underplaying this because its cold weather approaching?

Northerlies produce a higher durinal range in the south as they are usually relatively clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

No complaints at all with this Easter weekend weather, very useable, not to cold and not to warm either. Very enjoyable, i'm struggling to see why folk are moaning so much....it is only the start of April after all.

• Like 1

Posted
23 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Absolutely sickening charts for next week. Getting very frustrated browsing the model thread at the moment with some people actually rejoicing over it. What is wrong with some people? The last 3 days of March were truly stunning- blissful. Yet there were almost no posts about it beforehand and a total obsession with this horrendous cold spell that is coming next week.

Au contraire, delightful stuff *rubs hands with glee like a maniac while stroking a white cat and studying a map of the uk* Muaaahahaha! It is only early April for gods sake - isn't snow statistically more likely at Easter than Christmas anyway? You'll get your hot fix soon enough. Personally I'm counting the days until 21st June...

Edited by ribster
typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
49 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Who cares if its going to be cold for a few days. The state some parks have been left in recently i think some folk deserve to be indoors. 

Well said, utterly disgraceful & all that damn litter is such a menace to wildlife too! Shame we won't have a strong biting cold wind all weekend, might stop a few of those people from going to their local parks to turn them into a tip. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!
21 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I get wanting snow between November and March...although I'm not keen at any time of of year.

Normally I could tolerate late snow more but with this prolonged lockdown I'm desperate for a long sunny, warm spell as I know the vast majority of the public are.

Many are fascinated by potential damage to plants on this forum which is one of the things I don't understand- that is what concerns me most about Monday and Tuesday.

Yes indeed. It gets forgotten that there are people who view and partake of this site who are actually also ordinary members of the public and not just 'weather enthusiasts'.  Its good to be a weather enthusiast, otherwise why be here? But at the same time  surely retain a grip of the outside world and its outside perceptions and remembering that we all come from such a place - and not some detached idealistic fanaticism time-warp.

Quite apart from having horizons in another country, and a geographical switch of interest, a main reason for distancing from the parochial preference biases within this site is the Neanderthal and tribal attitude towards the subject of meteorology - that would be far better suited to the bearpit of a testosterone fuelled sports bar.  Recent posts on this thread, along with the traditional caveman brawl in the MOD thread, are very good examples of this.

There is, alas,  too little interest in the 'hows and whys' and far too much of a repellent, unsavoury and divisive 'war' over weather preferences. Too often, its a macho club membership/playground, rather then grown up weather discussion.  Objectivity can be a redundant and wasted pursuit within this context. Unless of course it just happens to accord with the tribal preference.

I used to get excited about the prospect of cold weather and snow (at least in winter). But equally always have had (and now to an even greater extent) a large appreciation for sunshine and warm weather - at any time of year but most especially from Spring right through to Autumn  Also, following a period of thunderstorm phobia due to one very severe storm that created a lot of local damage within just a mile away and was a truly frightening experience - a return has come to marvelling at the spectacle of an evening light-show while enjoying some wine on a summer evening (just as an example)  The point is, that any preferences are valid as long as no-one attempts to impose them on anyone. And, as in my own case, its also fine of course to change those preferences at any time.

But here comes one of the main problems, at least in my own experience :

Curiosity has grown about the actual weather patterns over successive years  (the how's and whys) and began overtaking the increasing boredom with just staring at charts waiting for a weather preference which too often than not does not come on its own - and which inevitably then leads to having to wade through pages of emotional tantrums over 'weather failures' and the associated bickering that comes with it.. 

Through the same period of time,  appreciation and reminder of the value of being outdoors more and more - and how Mother Nature better speaks kindly to (just for one example) my own love of plants and the garden has increased appreciation further still of the spring and summer seasons with the long days and warm evenings that are possible - at the same time as long dark days in winter and lack of sunlight overtook and eroded enjoyment of any previous pursuit of the magic of snowfall.   That doesn't mean anyone who thinks differently is wrong - but significantly in this respect, its the tribal 'warlike' attitude, from too many (not all by any means) of the cold weather legions which became a push away from wanting association with it  - and amplified the natural reasons for further increase in appreciation for Spring and Summer.

Natural enthusiasm for a weather type is fine, but only goes so far - some (not all) try to disguise and at the same time kid themselves that they are not actually instead displaying undue and excessive fanaticism and obsession. Fanaticism and obsession is characteristic of intolerance and apparent contempt of anyone who thinks differently and manifests as wholly unreasonable attempts to dictate and impose manic views ,ideals and preferences. Hence the Neanderthal 'warlike' attitudes that are common-place. 

As I see it, a weather preference coming to reality is a bonus to such a pastime of looking at how's and whys of meteorology. That, rather than a preference bias being the be all and end all - which too often leads to disappointment and frustration if too much dependence is attached to it and there is no stepping way from a computer to break the mindless spell of it all. There is much more to life after all than chasing computer model fantasies.. It is somewhat symbolic of such parochial tribalism though, that such weather preference symbolism has become attached of late with the fairly imminent  re-opening of the pub!  That fulfils the sport bar analogy of earlier. 

You are probably better to sit tight and wait for the weather to change - and then just enjoy it on your own terms and not worry about those who see it as 'boring' or somehow not exciting enough to make you a member of the so called 'enthusiast club'  Its pointless trying to reply to, or reason with, such tribe members  - because, as you and one or two others have observed, there are some quite aggressive primates and they are probably best left to learn basic manners in respect.

• Like 8