Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

These few mild to warm days later transitioning to unseasonably cold and perhaps wet, has a kind of a 2012 vibe to it. April this year is going to be nothing to shout about. It will be a 2016 style April at best, with perhaps being more like 2012 during the first half. Mark my words.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
17 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

These few mild to warm days later transitioning to unseasonably cold and perhaps wet, has a kind of a 2012 vibe to it. April this year is going to be nothing to shout about. It will be a 2016 style April at best, with perhaps being more like 2012 during the first half. Mark my words.

Keep seeing comparisons to March 2012 but I recall that month being much more consistently warm rather than experiencing a single spike of warmth, which we're getting right now. My memory could be playing tricks though

This March has been relatively mundane really

God knows what April 2016 was like. Can't recall it at all. Don't even remember what April 2012 was like tbh. I'm guessing from persistent references to it, it was quite grim. All I recall from that year was the rotten first half/two-thirds of the summer... but the weather picking up just in time for the Olympics

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Forgive me if I’m sceptical, but we saw all these bold predictions of a historic January at the start of the year. And we know what happened there . . .

if you happen to be correct, good luck. Because that’s all it is!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, LRD said:

Keep seeing comparisons to March 2012 but I recall that month being much more consistently warm rather than experiencing a single spike of warmth, which we're getting right now. My memory could be playing tricks though

So far this year has a 2012 vibe to it, the February of that year went from cold to very mild akin to February 2021. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
Just now, Frigid said:

So far this year has a 2012 vibe to it, the February of that year went from cold to very mild akin to February 2021. 

Happened in 2009 too. Much colder and more notable in early Feb 2009 than this year too. Can't really remember what happened in that Spring though

Not a fan of pattern matching really. The atmosphere is too chaotic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Did March 2012 not reach 24.4C anywhere?  Surprised that it didn't but can't remember specifically 

Edited by SummerShower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
57 minutes ago, LRD said:

God knows what April 2016 was like. Can't recall it at all. Don't even remember what April 2012 was like tbh. I'm guessing from persistent references to it, it was quite grim. All I recall from that year was the rotten first half/two-thirds of the summer... but the weather picking up just in time for the Olympics

April 2012 was very memorable for its record-breaking rainfall. I remember the rivers in Chelmsford bursting their banks. I also remember the extremely changeable weather, with sunshine, rain and hail rapidly alternating under some of the most breathtaking convective cloudscapes I've witnessed in the UK. Also the occasional bout of thunder and lightning. It was also a cool month, with many places recording lying snow.

April 2016 I remember less about, which suggests it was largely uneventful. The one thing I do remember, though, was the wintry final week, where I witnessed (in my then location of Selly Oak) falling snow on a number of days up to and including the final day of the month. One of those days saw falling snow for a number of hours, but it left slush only; the nearby Lickey hills and the surrounding area managed a covering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
4 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Did March 2012 not reach 24.4C anywhere?  Surprised that it didn't but can't remember specifically 

Scotland set a new record of 23.6C (in Aboyne). I think that was the highest.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Stunning day for the time of year Hard to believe it’s March!! 
Im glad the originally cold Easter doesn’t look too bad now, just average. As others have said, you can’t expect April to be warm every year so hey ho.

Posted
42 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Stunning day for the time of year Hard to believe it’s March!! 
Im glad the originally cold Easter doesn’t look too bad now, just average. As others have said, you can’t expect April to be warm every year so hey ho.

I guess you mean the Easter weekend because Easter Monday onwards it's unfolding like a proper shock to the system with hail, snow and strong winds, possibly thundery snow at parts of North England. 

Posted

24.5C today’s max. Can we squeeze another 1.1C extra tomorrow to beat the March record? Tonight will be less cold then last, which will help.

Edited by Djdazzle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'm not seeing the comparisons to 2012 tbh. The Januaries and Marches were completely different. The only similarity in February was the very mild second half, but 2012 was anticyclonic throughout (even the cold spell), whereas this year had more cyclonic first and third weeks of Feb. I'm also not concerned about these warm spells and their effect on summer, which is a tenuous link on the whole as it is.

Personally, I've always thought spikes of warmth and heat in spring bode better for the summer than prolonged above average temperatures. Think 2018 vs 2020. The heatwave in April 2018 was brief, whereas last year saw much more prolonged warmth with cool/cold spikes between.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Fingers crossed, but for once I might have posted something in the model forum that wasn't that far out!  

Posted

I think the March temperature record is going to fall.

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, Eugene said:

Bring on the cold April, will keep all the COVIDiots indoors who were packing parks and beaches today. ?‍♂️

There is virtually no risk outdoors. However, cold weather is more likely to drive people indoors, where the risk is higher.

• Like 4

Posted
47 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

There is virtually no risk outdoors. However, cold weather is more likely to drive people indoors, where the risk is higher.

People, will be people sadly 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Good morning all,

It seems there's a lot more cloud around today which may keep a lid on temperatures but will still be a pleasant enough day

I used to think warm springs are a bad sign for summer due to how synoptic patterns might evolve (can the weather keep it up etc.) after 2007, 2011 and 2012 then the reverse in 2013.

However since then we've had some very prolonged decent weather both in spring and the following summer; 2014, 2017, 2018 and for here in Kent last year too. 

To sum up: 

When looking for patterns there will always be occasions which back up one's theory, but equally, there will be also be occasions which go against it!