Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Looking at some of the model runs it would seem as if, although the clocks have gone forward an hour, the calendar has gone back three months!

• Like 7

Posted

Forgive us if we don't get too excited until the predicted Aprigeddon cold is inside T96, regardless of how many models are showing it in FI.

Plus as others have commented, something a bit more concretely cold south of Lincolnshire/Derbyshire would be nice to see, too.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, PUTIN said:

Forgive us if we don't get too excited until the predicted Aprigeddon cold is inside T96, regardless of how many models are showing it in FI.

Plus as others have commented, something a bit more concretely cold south of Lincolnshire/Derbyshire would be nice to see, too.

Wouldn't it just mate!! 

• Like 1

Posted

I have no way of measuring this scientifically, but I have the feeling that over the last 4-5 months, the GEFS have been less useful than normal as a tool for gauging uncertainty.

What I mean is that full ensemble flips seem to have become more common, particularly in the 144h range. They aren't completely new I know. Taking this weekend as an example, good Friday was certain to be cold until Saturday if you treated the ensembles as a range of possible outcomes. 

Once they backed off they all backed off at once. 

I know the ECM clusters have been better at showing the uncertainty, and the GEFS alone does not a good forecast make, but does anyone else have this impression? Or am I just falling foul of confirmation bias now I think I've spotted a pattern?

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, rwtwm said:

I have no way of measuring this scientifically, but I have the feeling that over the last 4-5 months, the GEFS have been less useful than normal as a tool for gauging uncertainty.

What I mean is that full ensemble flips seem to have become more common, particularly in the 144h range. They aren't completely new I know. Taking this weekend as an example, good Friday was certain to be cold until Saturday if you treated the ensembles as a range of possible outcomes. 

Once they backed off they all backed off at once. 

I know the ECM clusters have been better at showing the uncertainty, and the GEFS alone does not a good forecast make, but does anyone else have this impression? Or am I just falling foul of confirmation bias now I think I've spotted a pattern?

Hi. Not sure tbh. I have noticed in subsequent recent runs that the high is either way west in its position or over the top of the UK?? Which one determines if it will be cold or mild!! 

• Like 2

Posted

Does the lack of contributions suddenly mean that the 6z models were terrible for coldies, or just that everyone's enjoying the higher temperatures outdoors today?

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, PUTIN said:

Does the lack of contributions suddenly mean that the 6z models were terrible for coldies, or just that everyone's enjoying the higher temperatures outdoors today?

NOT TERRIBLE BUT THEY NEED A KICK UP THE proverbials 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
18 minutes ago, PUTIN said:

Hopefully both! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
32 minutes ago, PUTIN said:

Enjoying the sunshine and working. Lovely spring day

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
4 minutes ago, minus10 said:

The wind still has a "Chill" to it though, could do with buggering off :D

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Fantastic here too, 19deg on the coast - makes a world of difference when it's a Westerly based wind not a southerly or easterly with their freezing on shore winds, especially this time of year with the low SSTs.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the Ukmo 12h @ T+144 hours, if you’re a coldie, Iceland looks the place to be!!....a bit too far west for my liking..on Sunday anyway.

29111271-3D4D-41C4-B4D4-35697F3ADC7F.thumb.gif.e3f2e987a1ff3d351eb7516b6041368e.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Looking at the Ukmo 12h @ T+144 hours, if you’re a coldie, Iceland looks the place to be!!....a bit too far west for my liking..on Sunday anyway.

29111271-3D4D-41C4-B4D4-35697F3ADC7F.thumb.gif.e3f2e987a1ff3d351eb7516b6041368e.gif

Yep hence my comment earlier about preferring the pattern slightly too far E at this point. GFS corrects to a perfect hit. 

• Like 2

Posted

That extremely high pressure on Greenland has been quite consistent over the past few runs. GFS still hinting on a cold Easter Monday!

GFSOPEU12_132_1.thumb.png.14c35cd981527c0fed0144002192746e.png    

GFSOPEU12_156_1.png

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

GFS has a direct N'ly hit setting up at 144:

image.thumb.png.fefa2e44658258fc587d270d4ebe995d.png

MetO gives us a nice Easter Saturday as Man Without Beard says. At 144 it goes weird compared to what's gone before and other models. Outlier I reckon:

image.thumb.png.f7221a773bd5edd3ba66416efcd3e3e9.png

GEM going west with the coldest air at 144 (it does eventually find a N'ly for the UK later in its run):

image.thumb.png.cb28e46bf05934629af33c84ff5af3a5.png

Edited by LRD
  • Like 3

Posted

The UKMO 12z harpoon's the Arctic blast at just 96hrs with a small LP which splits the High in two preventing full retrogression,unlike the GFS which is clean as a whistle.

UW96-21.thumb.GIF.6a1233e36d03fe9752bb98406e4a9efd.GIF

Lets see if the ECM agrees.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

The UKMO 12z harpoon's the Arctic blast at just 96hrs with a small LP which splits the High in two preventing full retrogression,unlike the GFS which is clean as a whistle.

UW96-21.thumb.GIF.6a1233e36d03fe9752bb98406e4a9efd.GIF

Lets see if the ECM agrees.

I wonder if it's 'gone off on one'. Nothing like that has been even slightly hinted at previously. Personally I hope it's right but I'm not convinced by that UKMO run at all this evening

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Hey, folks, leaving aside the potential cold snap for the UK, has anyone else noticed the heat building to our south and east?  In early April.  Here GFS at T240:

C85F8D21-9295-47D2-A6A9-1B859F3D9A8B.thumb.png.46ef4b2d5591926db86c4ed455175a5a.png

I’ would normally look in the archives to check, but they aren’t there because of the fire at meteociel, but this looks anomalous to me for the time of year?

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted

A Northerly in April isn't unusual for sure but these Northerly reloads as shown in GFS are quite impressive even in FI. I hope hospitality sector business owners aren't weather models enthusiasts because these runs would drive them crazy.

• Like 5