Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Crazy output for the end of March.

Wouldn't mind seeing a flake during the weekend but either way will feel chilly.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

I had a little chuckle at this chart.  20C in London while its just 3C in Lancashire at 18:00. 

ukmaxtemp (1).png

20C at 6pm in March would be quite something surely?!

Posted
13 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Great charts from the gfs if it's cold and possible wintry/snow showers you are after,...like me (i wouldn't mind one last blast)...

but the UKMO says no and i would love the UKMO to come off TBF ,...winter can wait until next,...well,...winter

UN144-21.thumb.gif.94b33566d669aa8d7fb01f5b8d63ddc9.gif

if the gfs was to come off then there would be plenty of convective showers about in an unstable north to NE wind with maybe some thunder snow

lets see where the other models go for the rest of the day.

To my eyes, and I might be very much mistaken, the UKMO looks a lot closer to the GFS this morning ?‍♂️ 

• Like 6

Posted
45 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Bonkers GFS ensemble number 16. 

image.thumb.png.dd52b878ba5df10326db636e159086d5.pngimage.thumb.png.5767187f29becaa92494bb56a224aefd.png

I think that's just a copy of the ECM 00z at day 10

• Like 2

Posted

Surprised no one is posting about the warm spell coming early next week.

The proper cold air is still well in FI

Tuesday could be the warmest March day for many of us since at least 2012. Reaching 70F in March is quite rare outside the SE and looks possible for us in NW England.

• Like 8

Posted
5 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Surprised no one is posting about the warm spell coming early next week.

The proper cold air is still well in FI

Tuesday could be the warmest March day for many of us since at least 2012. Reaching 70F in March is quite rare outside the SE and looks possible for us in NW England.

I think @Weather-history sums it up well for many of us.

Just now, Weather-history said:

image.thumb.png.fd2774d90cd7af231355704babb386bc.png

HERE'S WINTER!!!!!!!!

DimpledInsignificantKissingbug-size_rest

• Like 5

It’s a poor mornings model output with last nights idea of the warmer spell being extended into wed/thurs by ECM/GEM & UMKO all seemingly giving way to GFS which has been unmoved on the colder air being fully entrenched over the uk by Wednesday evening. Still hoping the hugely unwanted northerly disappears but that’s starting to seem increasingly unlikely. 

Just a thing on summer, and while it’s not a determining factors I’ve noticed SSTs are  a pretty average even below which is something we’ve not seen in a while, along the cold blob having to seemingly dispersed somewhat I just wonder whether we are less likely to see the extreme plumes we’ve seen over the past couple of years. I’m thinking as much I hate to say it summer could be a real mixed bag with very little in the way of extended or extreme warmth

Posted
9 hours ago, mpkio2 said:

I have to agree. I don't wanna be pessimistic but I hate when the models show these kinds of setups that are perfect for one part of the year and materialize at the wrong time of the year instead. Like this setup is perfect for the winter (Looking at sub-below temps and ice and snow), but we get it now in April? I just can't help but feel bittersweet. Like got the right pattern, but its all way too late.

I would rather the models show a long pro-longed warm pattern now

Quite normal to see such synoptics in April and May, indeed more likely in those months than any other time of year. Northern blocking very common in late Spring.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

18Z even more unrealistic, was showing snow on back edge of Wed system, 21 degrees tues, then Wed night snow

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

18Z even more unrealistic, was showing snow on back edge of Wed system, 21 degrees tues, then Wed night snow

If I remember rightly, early April 1968 saw something just like that? Again, so long as memory serves, it was 21C on the Monday, and snowing on the Wednesday morning. In Milton Keynes!

PS: Also had 15cm of snow late on April 11 1978!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 9