Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Had 21cm here in Ipswich, which makes that the highest total since 2010 (so far) so quite an event! The MO warnings were spot on for over here. 

Light snow on and off for the past hour after a dry spell and some signs convection may be starting to kick off... last night it was quite explosive and rapid

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Keep an eye on this area later this evening!

METEORADAR.CO.UK

Realtime snowradar for England and UK, based on our 40 radar stations.

Clipboard02.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
4 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Any idea when these supposed streamers will form and push across London into the Guildford to Petersfield area? BBC says heavy snow all of tomorrow for my area near Petersfield (lol) but MO shows little. 

I have a slight feeling one may be starting now - there is a heavy streamer in West London and an increasing intensity (over a wider area than a true streamer) from Kent westwards.  We are seeing larger, and more, flakes now with a slightly lighter wind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

i think i have cornered the market in pointless snow fall. The watering can is a causality of storm Darcy 

Photo on 08-02-2021 at 12.38.jpg

You got off lightly mate. Next door's bin has just gone over. High drama in suburbia. 

IMG_20210208_130127.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

Still sub-zero at -1.5°c, very light snow fall, if raining it would be deemed "spitting" with rain. Winds light but making it very cold. Total level laying snow now around 5¹½" snow, 130-140mm.

Birds feeding well with 8 feeders dotted around the garden. Cats not too impressed with the snow though hehe. 

Roads passable, paths treacherous in places. 

My road isn't lol.

IMG_20210208_131553.jpg

It's all Ice in the tire tracks. Just round the corner there are tire tracks on the road where at least two cars have lost control for a bit.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Picked up a bit of intensity here.

Seems to be a blob just of the channel coast near Eastbourne that’s making land.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

Definitely coming down here a bit harder now. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

I have a slight feeling one may be starting now - there is a heavy streamer in West London and an increasing intensity (over a wider area than a true streamer) from Kent westwards.  We are seeing larger, and more, flakes now with a slightly lighter wind.

Currently underneath that and it's extremely light at the moment, not settling either but that's probably more to do with the wind.

Hopefully the intensity increases. 

Posted
44 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Always respected your input Yamkin, what do you see for North Kent for the rest of today into tomorrow?

Thanks for your kind comments  I am basing the following from GFS because they were spot on with the rain ppn on Saturday night into Sunday. It also pinpointed 7am for the sleet/snow to start kicking in.

More snow for Kent from the Streamer setup and a ppn source from the southern flank too which is interesting. As always, subject to change ❄️

Also, @kold weather is the Thames Streamer forecaster king. 

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Took the morning off homeschooling and took the little beans sledging stayed snowing lightly the entire time. Ill post some pics later but they were the clearest most perfect snowflakes ive ever seen 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

While some of you are complaining about the lack of "sun" setting the streamers off, I'm rather glad we don't have the sun. Many up north are complaining about a lack of snow on the pathways and roads, and a rapid melt of the snow when the sun shines on any snow that has fallen. Think I prefer as is!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
5 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

While some of you are complaining about the lack of "sun" setting the streamers off, I'm rather glad we don't have the sun. Many up north are complaining about a lack of snow on the pathways and roads, and a rapid melt of the snow when the sun shines on any snow that has fallen. Think I prefer as is!

Agree! We're staying sub zero, protecting the snow we have and it's falling again now quite nicely. 

I remember in 2018, the first couple of days had a lot of sunshine between the showers and much of it melted even though it was freezing cold. 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like there could be an interesting next hour for London. Showers moving from the NE and signs of convergence as more move up from Kent. Flakes here in SE London getting bigger after a morning of tiny crystals.

As a minimum, hoping that keeps the cloud cover topped up and the temps down until later.

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Looks like some moderate snow through northern half London now anyone there?

Lots of flakes in the wind here, but not much hitting the ground. Still little more than a dusting despite about 24 hours of snow on and off.

Posted
3 hours ago, Lauren said:

And yet just down the road in Medway it's barely snowing at all. It's weird because normally in Medway Lordswood and Walderslade are snow magnets!

Yet in Swale, which is normally forgotten, we are swamped with the stuff  

• Like 1