Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Nuff said!

I think it was tongue in cheek from him - they currently have 7 inches of snow in Suffolk!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

After the last few days of snow melt I have come to several conclusions. Apart from weather fronts giving large dumpings of snow I can no longer be bothered to chase cold spells in February. After January I will leave it until the next year. If there's one thing worse then no snow it is having snow that doesn't settle or melt quickly. Sun is just too strong even with clouds. 

Also not to expect any settling snow after a mild spell as the ground retains heat for a while. The only way round this for some people was  getting a large covering at night that lowered the ground temperatures and allowed the snow to settle or some hard frosts for a few days before any snow. 

And finally not to waste time with weather apps as they are rubbish. 

I realise that we do get some very good snowy spells in February but boy is it exhausting. 

I agree with some of this. However, it is perfectly possible to get heavy, settling snow in February. The problem this time is that for the most part, the snow has not been heavy or continuous enough. I also think that the wind isn't really strong enough to mix up the lower levels to prevent heating.

But yes, more things have to go right in February to the conditions just right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
5 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

After the last few days of snow melt I have come to several conclusions. Apart from weather fronts giving large dumpings of snow I can no longer be bothered to chase cold spells in February. After January I will leave it until the next year. If there's one thing worse then no snow it is having snow that doesn't settle or melt quickly. Sun is just too strong even with clouds. 

Also not to expect any settling snow after a mild spell as the ground retains heat for a while. The only way round this for some people was  getting a large covering at night that lowered the ground temperatures and allowed the snow to settle or some hard frosts for a few days before any snow. 

And finally not to waste time with weather apps as they are rubbish. 

I realise that we do get some very good snowy spells in February but boy is it exhausting. 

It's a fair point, but I think you are overplaying the sun effect slightly for Feb. It only really becomes an issue as you move towards the end of the month. Something to do with the increasing rate it's angle changes in the sky as you move through the month. There was a lot of discussion about it during the 2018 BTFE especially relating to the second event in mid-March when basically nothing settled.

December has it's own problems being early in the Winter. Less of a well developed cold pool to tap into. Plus higher SST's can cause their own problems. That only leaves January as the "premium" month.

We've been really unlucky this winter. January was chilly and very wet. That means the ground is saturated but had little opportunities to cool down or freeze. The worst possible combination pre a cold spell. 

As you say, a few days of sun and frost would have made all the difference.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I agree with some of this. However, it is perfectly possible to get heavy, settling snow in February. The problem this time is that for the most part, the snow has not been heavy or continuous enough. I also think that the wind isn't really strong enough to mix up the lower levels to prevent heating.

But yes, more things have to go right in February to the conditions just right.

That is largely what made the 2018 'Beast' so remarkable, especially the last stage in mid-March, when we had sub-zero maxima for several days.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Phew.

Temp now back down to -1.2c

My snow is now safe for another day..

• Like 6

Posted

Yesterday Temp -2 DP -3 moderate snow..but still saw some snow melt as cloud wasn’t too thick so some Sun warmth still broke through. Today was below freezing all day with a DP of -4 , loads of snow showers but the sun broke through a few times so snow has mainly all gone. Takes something very extreme to get lasting snow in Feb! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Oh my god an actual heavyish snow shower woo hoo  1st one of the day.

Edited by 80sWeather

Posted

Only a few flakes today and lots of thawing going on, doesn’t seem like as much convection occurring after the wind has turned more easterly. Been a great couple of days though and best snow for many years here! Didn’t get anywhere near ‘91 but still excellent. Lots of disappointed folk in the west and south of the region but there’s still time for more snow chances this winter. 

A few more really cold nights to come but does look like a slow return to average next week (for now)...

Posted
6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

1.2c all snow has melted and everyone in the MOD thread say game over for the cold spell.

Wow! Unbelievable difference between NW and SE London.  Everything is absolutely frozen solid here, been snowing lightly all day, every flake sticking to every surface. A thaw feels a million miles away. I guess you win some, you lose some.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

It has been a weird spell of weather so far - not quite the super cold temps we were promised, continuous light snow for many - frustrating but unusual - it is still snowing here, I think it stopped for about 10 minutes this afternoon. We have the strange ice days with wet pavements, now stupidly low dew points (usually the holy grail of settling) and Thames streamers that only produce moderate snow, I have learned a little bit more about the weather, and I can stare out the window, or stare at the radar, as often as I like whilst working from home.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Snowing again here, starting to pick up a little in intensity. Temperature has also dropped, no more melt. Showers still look on a train through south Suffolk, south Essex and into London. Nothing too heavy showing up so a mixture of light to moderate snowfall for now.

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

I share the frustrations expressed.

We’ve had 3 consecutive days of falling snow (admittedly not a lot today) which hasn’t happened in a long while and never had more than 2 cms settled on the ground, which is still better than some but a little underwhelming.

Then again, if all of us were nailed on every winter for a good dumping, I wonder whether a forum like this would exist. To me, a large part has always been about the excitement of the chase and the build up. It’s inevitable there’ll be some that hit the jackpot and some that miss out. That’s how it is in this part of the country. Next time, whenever that is, it will almost certainly fall differently.

• Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

I think it was tongue in cheek from him - they currently have 7 inches of snow in Suffolk!

Yeah I went out and did a garden measurement earlier and we had 20cm of level snow, considering some had sublimated I think we probably have had 25cm in total. Good event here, genuinely hope that those away from coastal areas can get some today and tomorrow. Good luck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Wind here now is an ENE here in Locksbottom and it’s Baltic out there.Temp -1.9 now just put bins out.Just hope the council come tomorrow to collect them??

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

I left for work at 6.30 and it was snowing - I'm back home.. guess what - the snow is still falling.. and the radar says there's more on the way 

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

It's a fair point, but I think you are overplaying the sun effect slightly for Feb. It only really becomes an issue as you move towards the end of the month. Something to do with the increasing rate it's angle changes in the sky as you move through the month. There was a lot of discussion about it during the 2018 BTFE especially relating to the second event in mid-March when basically nothing settled.

December has it's own problems being early in the Winter. Less of a well developed cold pool to tap into. Plus higher SST's can cause their own problems. That only leaves January as the "premium" month.

We've been really unlucky this winter. January was chilly and very wet. That means the ground is saturated but had little opportunities to cool down or freeze. The worst possible combination pre a cold spell. 

As you say, a few days of sun and frost would have made all the difference.

The sun is now about six weeks higher than its minimum in December and is starting to have a noticeable impact.  Even in moderate cloud its radiation can melt snow in sub-zero air, whereas in December/early January it is too weak unless fully sunny.  February snow in southern Britain is always likely to melt in any sunshine when it's powdery as it has more air/surface area to absorb warmth.  A bit of thaw and re-freeze toughens it up a little although reduces the volume/depth.

Posted
9 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Oh my god an actual heavyish snow shower woo hoo  1st one of the day.

And the last for us maybe!!! Make the most of it haha. 

Talking of which - anyone got an idea on where's tonight's showers are likely to be?! Any decent charts? I've a general feeling that the shower activity is on the decline now but would like to be proven wrong !! 

Edited by Matty88

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Imby the last few days have got to be up there in the biggest winter weather let down in years (and there have been many). So much potential (as ever) but ultimately aside from a minor covering which is all gone and about 4 flurries it's been dry and just bloody cold. Glad some have had a good result but this can do one now, bring forth some warmth. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/storms

Been a pretty good cold snap here in South east Essex compared to the last couple of years, its snowed the last 3 days and is still snowing as I speak...

Screenshot_20210209-150301_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-150239_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-150208_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-150317_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-150139_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Complete white out here, if all the snow we have had over the last 3 days had settled we would probably have half a metre

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The GFS has pushed the cold back until Tuesday now - the UKMO says Monday  

• Like 5

Posted

Temp has shot down to -0.1C and snowing too in Shirley, Croydon ❄❄❄❄

• Like 3