Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Just about getting over last nights Heartache what is it with England and penalties oh well we go again with the world cup qualifiers and to the keyboard warriors who think it OK to abuse footballers of anyone else come to think of it like today's rain just do one and dissappear....and relax onto the weather looks like a very much improving picture as the week continues temperatures by weekend into the mid to high 20s with warm or even hot sunshine to enjoy looking forward to it.

C.S

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

After a half decent weekend it’s been a thoroughly shocking days weather.

Never torrential but pretty constant and pushing a 10 out of 10 in the irritation scale.

i just hope that it’s an improvement from here onwards but tbh it can’t get much worse.

• Like 5

Posted

Sometimes you see something that really surprises you.

The famous summer of 1976, but surprisingly the Julys of 1977, 1979, 1982, 1983 and 1984 were all drier for the region than July 1976.

The infamous summer of 1980, July 1980 was only 5mm wetter than July 2018 for the region.

• Like 5

Posted

I headed across the Pennines from S Cheshire to N Yorkshire again today. Dry on the M6 north to Warrington but then started to rain (11am) and continued unabated for the rest of the journey. Quite heavy around N Manchester and on top of the Pennines. I'm told the rain held off in S Cheshire until mid-afternoon. Lot of lorries and spray around and not a journey I would want to repeat anytime soon. Dry but misty here in Whitby (again) but the promise of better weather to come before I return at the weekend.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Miserable day here, pretty much continuous heavy rain during the afternoon. On the plus side the bedroom temperature has dropped from 23° last night to 21° tonight so a more comfortable night for sleeping.

Hopefully it doesn’t get too hot next week.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Met office automated forecast has temperatures of 23-27c Friday through to Tuesday with full peak of the heat Monday at 27c but probably add a degree or two onto that even the extended forecast keeps us dry with temperatures in the low 20s 

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Met office automated forecast has temperatures of 23-27c Friday through to Tuesday with full peak of the heat Monday at 27c but probably add a degree or two onto that even the extended forecast keeps us dry with temperatures in the low 20s 

C.S

Just hope it doesn't get hotter than that. Call me a wuss but I really don't like anything above 23C. Just makes getting a good nights sleep more difficult as well as doing stuff in general. 

A nice day here. Sunny intervals, a nice breeze, and 19C according to my windows 10 computer (a handy feature they added for us weather geeks, no longer need to check my phone to find out the current temp.)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
21 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Sometimes you see something that really surprises you.

The famous summer of 1976, but surprisingly the Julys of 1977, 1979, 1982, 1983 and 1984 were all drier for the region than July 1976.

The infamous summer of 1980, July 1980 was only 5mm wetter than July 2018 for the region.

I remember 1983 and 1984 both being hot dry July’s, 83 getting badly sunburned hay making and the year after having just stated going out with Mrs iand61.

it was the Frankie goes to Hollywood summer and the one where a now disgraced TV presenter stood in the remains of Mardale at the bottom of an almost empty Hawswater.

the others don’t stand out in my memory, possibly showing that dry doesn’t necessarily mean hot and sunny.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Just hope it doesn't get hotter than that. Call me a wuss but I really don't like anything above 23C. Just makes getting a good nights sleep more difficult as well as doing stuff in general. 

A nice day here. Sunny intervals, a nice breeze, and 19C according to my windows 10 computer (a handy feature they added for us weather geeks, no longer need to check my phone to find out the current temp.)

Yes not a fan of heat in the UK around about the 25 or 26c is fine for me,strange as I can sit out in 40c in Greece but there again total different kind of heat no Humidity and nice sea breezes.

C.S

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Yes not a fan of heat in the UK around about the 25 or 26c is fine for me,strange as I can sit out in 40c in Greece but there again total different kind of heat no Humidity and nice sea breezes.

C.S

Looking at the bbc and iPhone weather app currently nothing forecast above 25C here so nothing extremely hot just nice very warm sunny weather with hopefully low humidity, cool nights and a nice breeze.

The synopitic charts do look at lot like July 2018 at the moment though, big intense high pressure ridging up from the Azores.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Just perfect weather really coming up. Mid 20s nothing too hot and coming almost slap bang in the middle of summer. What's not to like?

• Like 5

Posted

This evenings ECM has 14c uppers Saturday and Sunday so around 28-29c possibly GFS seems to be  a few degrees of as usual.

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

This evenings ECM has 14c uppers Saturday and Sunday so around 28-29c possibly GFS seems to be  a few degrees of as usual.

C.S

A couple of nights in St Annes booked for us this weekend.

Certainly looks like we’ve dropped in lucky with the weather.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Just perfect weather really coming up. Mid 20s nothing too hot and coming almost slap bang in the middle of summer. What's not to like?

Exactly! I can handle the 30c temps, but I find low/mid 20s are far more tolerable, especially when out cycling......

• Like 4

Posted
51 minutes ago, iand61 said:

A couple of nights in St Annes booked for us this weekend.

Certainly looks like we’ve dropped in lucky with the weather.

Lovely enjoy

We have postponed our holiday to Greece until June next refuse to pay for PCR tests which are the same you use everyday in the UK for free we shall see what happens next year booked 4 days in a hotel on the south coast at end of July 

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Lovely enjoy

We have postponed our holiday to Greece until June next refuse to pay for PCR tests which are the same you use everyday in the UK for free we shall see what happens next year booked 4 days in a hotel on the south coast at end of July 

C.S

Same here, should have gone to Cuba last October, postponed it until the same time this year and then when it came to paying the balance cancelled it and changed for a cruise next April.

hopefully we are somewhere close to normal by then but if not it’s two years and counting for something which our leader said would be over in 3 months.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Having to go to work and watch the glorious weather through a glass door or window.  Not putting a damper on things though, I'm off Sat and Sun, I'll be making the most of it.

• Like 6

Posted

Nice day. Rather alot of cloud but the sun burst through at times. Lovely sunset. Looks like excellent summer weather on the way if you want dry, sunny, very warm but not hot conditions. High pressure overhead with abundant sun, mid 20s maxima will suit many I think and all happening bang on start of 'high summer'. Such weather feels right at this point, the heart of summer. Just like cold and snow second half of Jan, heart of winter.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I still find mid 20’s pretty hot to be honest, especially in the sun, but that’s just me, my heat tolerance is pretty low. Would ideally prefer low 20’s but can’t choose when it comes to the weather. Hopefully low humidity, a bit of breeze and cool clear nights with it. And it will be nice to have lots of sunshine for change, it’s been quite a cloudy first of half of July, albeit warm.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I still find mid 20’s pretty hot to be honest, especially in the sun, but that’s just me, my heat tolerance is pretty low. Would ideally prefer low 20’s but can’t choose when it comes to the weather. Hopefully low humidity, a bit of breeze and cool clear nights with it. And it will be nice to have lots of sunshine for change, it’s been quite a cloudy first of half of July, albeit warm.

That's shade temperatures though, forecasts are based on those. But if you plonk a conventional thermometer in the sun and it'll read high 30s so that's why it feels hot.

Personally I'm not a huge sunbather myself. Maybe 30-45 mins then I sit in the shade. A week of that is enough to build up a tan on myself, really don't need to go nuts and sit out for hours as that's when you get the proper skin damage.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 5

Posted
53 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

That's shade temperatures though, forecasts are based on those. But if you plonk a conventional thermometer in the sun and it'll read high 30s so that's why it feels hot.

Personally I'm not a huge sunbather myself. Maybe 30-45 mins then I sit in the shade. A week of that is enough to build up a tan on myself, really don't need to go nuts and sit out for hours as that's when you get the proper skin damage.

Yeah true. I get very hot sitting in sun, even when it's below 20C sometimes if it's strong sun with no breeze.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Wednesday 28 Jul -Wednesday 11 Aug

A more unsettled interlude seems probable to end July with rain or showers for all areas, risk heavy and thundery, especially in the South.

Going Padstow 23rd July. Not Happy. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Spah1 said:

Wednesday 28 Jul -Wednesday 11 Aug

A more unsettled interlude seems probable to end July with rain or showers for all areas, risk heavy and thundery, especially in the South.

Going Padstow 23rd July. Not Happy. 

Unfortunately we won't get week after week of continuous sunshine in the UK you are correct in you assessment thought the breakdown is pretty well assured accross all models end of next week but the Meto long ranger indicating a return to above average temperatures and HP for beginning of August so yes a blip to some unsettled weather as is usual for the UK but overall the outlook is looking promising for HP to reestablish itself.

C.S

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Unfortunately we won't get week after week of continuous sunshine in the UK you are correct in you assessment thought the breakdown is pretty well assured accross all models end of next week but the Meto long ranger indicating a return to above average temperatures and HP for beginning of August so yes a blip to some unsettled weather as is usual for the UK but overall the outlook is looking promising for HP to reestablish itself.

C.S

Not sure I'd call this a breakdown

image.thumb.png.8cfe7d2dc8e484ab44fa269bd15c1228.png

Looks like a return to slightly above average temperatures, but mostly dry, which suggests good sunshine to me so warm and pleasant.

OTOH, our friends in Beds have resurrected their annual BBQ after a year's hiatus. It always seems to be a case of dodging showers in the afternoon of the last Sat in July, or thunderstorms if I'm lucky (they wouldn't call it lucky). So that would be my prediction for the 24th: sunshine and showers.

• Like 5