Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Another sunny frosty morning but with fog/mist this morning.... good match last night

Two good matches on the trot with tension and a need to bite those very long fingernails (due to not having done so since Cheltenham).

Anyway, weather wise, white with frost and periods of mist / fog drifting about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
4 hours ago, Had Worse said:

So it took them 34 years to replace them.

They must have done some major repair work on them. They looked ready to collapse.

I’m a bit to young to remember it but they were built in the late 60’s so have certainly took a hammering over the years.

obviously a decent bit of galvanising.

seeing the film reminded me of being out walking with a mate about that time and at the point where the pylon wires cross the valley with the road in the bottom and we could hear voices.

looked around and only us there then happened to look up and saw a couple of engineers in a bosuns chair on one of the wires, must have been at least a couple of hundred feet up.

I assume that the money was good but I’m glad I had my job rather than theirs

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I’m a bit to young to remember it but they were built in the late 60’s so have certainly took a hammering over the years.

obviously a decent bit of galvanising.

seeing the film reminded me of being out walking with a mate about that time and at the point where the pylon wires cross the valley with the road in the bottom and we could hear voices.

looked around and only us there then happened to look up and saw a couple of engineers in a bosuns chair on one of the wires, must have been at least a couple of hundred feet up.

I assume that the money was good but I’m glad I had my job rather than theirs

Certainly need a head for heights, not to mention the live working and  trust that what's supposed to hold you up, actually does. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

That is a one tasty cold pool to our east. If we some how got a good easterly from that purple monster we'd be looking at a 18th March 2018 repeat.

ECM0-240.GIF?03-0

10 days out though so bound to change.

Time running out seeing charts like this as by April the continent starts warming up. Anything wintry by then for us usually has to come from more northern directions.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
6 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Certainly need a head for heights, not to mention the live working and  trust that what's supposed to hold you up, actually does. 

Only watched the first few minutes of it this morning as I was just getting sorted for work but I watched it all tonight.

it must have been the one I remember when they closed the road but I didn’t realise how much damage was caused.

February 1986 was a pretty severe spell of winter weather up here, certainly on a par with the BFTE and I remember spending hours one evening digging my car out of snow while it drifted in just as fast as it blew from the fields.

As for the pylons, they’re still there and seem to be a part of any photographs I ever take at the top of the hill, even when the subject was a burnt out wind turbine, the snow or just the general scenery.

FAFA4A9E-0C31-4471-B883-6E5964B61559.jpeg

B6ABBE82-94B0-45CA-BD38-475F4855AFE4.jpeg

690B3D7C-34D3-40B3-A9B3-D6632710B426.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Surprise sunny start, starting to cloud over. Current temp 3 degrees, the cloud will trap the cold layer, a chilly grey day ahead, may catch a bit if drizzle lunchtime. We've had 7 days with no rain, not bad going.

• Like 1

Posted

Well, just had the Oxford jab. My wife had it and was floored for three days. If I don't post, you'll know why.

Seems to be a lot of salt spreading going on... have i missed something?

• Like 3

Posted

Cold front brought a bit of drizzle, also a drop in temp, was 7.5 degrees, now 5.6 degrees. In cold upper air now, not the inversion cold of last few days, air frost expected tonight. Freezing level about 400m, very much wintry.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

A soft frost overnight followed by some dull greyness with the odd spell of light rain, this cleared up by mid-afternoon with some cloud but the odd patch of sun kissing the fells. More on the mild side today. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

A soft frost overnight followed by some dull greyness with the odd spell of light rain, this cleared up by mid-afternoon with some cloud but the odd patch of sun kissing the fells. More on the mild side today. 

A milder morning and lunchtime, but a cold afternoon once the cold front cleared.

Expecting an air frost tonight, and tomorrow. Racking up a run of frosts in recent days. These are visible white ones unlike the unusual dry frosts second week Feb. 

Posted

Who said anything about spring? 2 nights of slight frost. 1 degree yesterday at 11.30 am. Horses demand hay and say the grass is not growing. Winter still. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

A milder morning and lunchtime, but a cold afternoon once the cold front cleared.

Expecting an air frost tonight, and tomorrow. Racking up a run of frosts in recent days. These are visible white ones unlike the unusual dry frosts second week Feb. 

Absolutely, tonight’s frost may be more penetrating than frost thought. Dependent on % cloud cover and wind speeds of course.

Posted

7th wettest winter on record for our region and yet to me, it didn't feel that wet. It was just a touch wetter than last winter and yet to me that winter (2019-20) felt wetter. Could be that February 2020 distorted my perception of that winter because a sizeable portion of that winter's rainfall fell during  February.

Another factor could be that there was far more falling snow days and snow was on the ground this winter unlike last winter. That might have added to the impression of a "drier" winter to its predecessor. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Barmada_Casten said:

Absolutely, tonight’s frost may be more penetrating than frost thought. Dependent on % cloud cover and wind speeds of course.

No frost at all in the south of the region, mind you no sun or wind either, just light cloud which looks as though it wants to clear sometime soon.

Edited by A Face like Thunder

Posted

Yep. Cool, breezy and frost free with a bit of sun trying to shine through the milky sky.

Posted
_117391020_mediaitem117391019.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The ground "fell away" as the man rode across his field, leaving him trapped 60ft below the surface.

Probably cos of all that rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A cold day yesterday, max only 5°C. Not as cold as expected last night a low of only 0.8°C and then temperatures rose to around 4°C by sunrise. Currently 7°C and mostly cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

BTW my  automatic weather station observations Twitter is working properly again with all the data.

@HalewoodWeather

http://www.twitter.com/HalewoodWeather

Posted

A cloudy, cool day today, albeit not too thick a cloud cover as it had been relively bright. Will be cold again tonight, although not as cold as previous nights - a soft first is possible in some exposed areas.

It feed so sad to see the quiet in the forum after how busy it was this winter.