Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: All
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District

    Morning all,

    Upbeat and positive this morning, things are counting down to T+0

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Preston - Lancashire
  • Location: Preston - Lancashire
    7 hours ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

    Okay. Probably time to wheel out a debate that was being had a week or two ago with regards to preferences. 

     

    Would you rather have a foot of the wet snow we normally get from the westerly events or 3-4 inches of powder snow that could be possible from an easterly?

     

    Honestly think I'd take the latter. 

    You'd take the proper snow, but we never get snow from an easterly here just cold and dry whilst we see the reports of chaos and a countrywide blanket of snow ..... apart from this one little oasis of green 😃

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Newhey, Lancashire ( 165m a/s/l )
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
  • Location: Newhey, Lancashire ( 165m a/s/l )

    Can’t wait for weekend 😎

    This could be the best winter weather of the season for some 🤞

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Newhey, Lancashire ( 165m a/s/l )
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
  • Location: Newhey, Lancashire ( 165m a/s/l )
    3 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

    Gotta feeling Yorkshire will gobble it all up again.. 

    Not with the forecast wind and thicknesses they won’t.

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: All
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District

    If narnia hits, our regional thread will be ticking over pages as fast as the cost of diesel at the fuel pump.

    Anyway, I've given the heads up to a few key workers that live close to me about the need to have a shovel , blankets etc in their cars.

    Theres only one 'A' road into and out of Glossop / Hollingworth in the Manchester direction and when this gets bad, its a snarl up and nothing moves.

    • Like 7
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: All
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
    6013bb9d14395.jpg
    WWW.QUESTMEDIANETWORK.CO.UK

    A man who helped thousands of drivers to avoid hold-ups, closed roads and constant delays has died suddenly after a short illness.

    I had noticed that our Glossop Online page wasn't working. It was a brilliant site that had road info both in and external to Glossop.

     

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Bacup Lancashire, 1000ft up in the South Pennines
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
  • Location: Bacup Lancashire, 1000ft up in the South Pennines

    Haven’t had a look at the charts this morning although the mood in here seems pretty upbeat so is everything still looking good for the weekend.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Glossop Derbyshire 300m asl
  • Location: Glossop Derbyshire 300m asl
    2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:
    6013bb9d14395.jpg
    WWW.QUESTMEDIANETWORK.CO.UK

    A man who helped thousands of drivers to avoid hold-ups, closed roads and constant delays has died suddenly after a short illness.

    I had noticed that our Glossop Online page wasn't working. It was a brilliant site that had road info both in and external to Glossop.

     

    Very sad his site was very useful for glossop and surrounding areas... 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Near Northwich, Cheshire, 75m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and stormy weather
  • Location: Near Northwich, Cheshire, 75m asl

    The mood seems to be good in the mod thread, so I'm assuming a Thames streamer is in the pipeline.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Whitefield, Manchester @ 100m
  • Location: Whitefield, Manchester @ 100m
    56 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

    You'd take the proper snow, but we never get snow from an easterly here just cold and dry whilst we see the reports of chaos and a countrywide blanket of snow ..... apart from this one little oasis of green 😃

    The setup looks much better than the usual dry Scandinavian High that only hits the south east. One of your best snowfalls in 1996 was thanks to an easterly!

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: North west England/East Lancashire/Burnley
  • Location: North west England/East Lancashire/Burnley

    How come it’s showing everybody’s location now it used to before then it disappeared 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Stockport, South Manchester
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
  • Location: Stockport, South Manchester
    3 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

    Very sad his site was very useful for glossop and surrounding areas... 

    It's so sad 😔 I found out over weekend and I was wondering why glossop online was offline again.

    They are trying to find someone to take over the site so it may be offline a while.

    RIP

     

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Near Northwich, Cheshire, 75m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and stormy weather
  • Location: Near Northwich, Cheshire, 75m asl

    Though not to be taken literally, the automated forecast for this location shows predominantly slate grey skies throughout Sun, Mon and Tues and largely dry, which is what I would expect in an Easterly here. This far West, we will probably be reliant on troughs and disturbances in the flow to see anything significant. Eastern parts of the region should do well though.

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Glossop Derbyshire 300m asl
  • Location: Glossop Derbyshire 300m asl
    7 minutes ago, Dexter said:

    Though not to be taken literally, the automated forecast for this location shows predominantly slate grey skies throughout Sun, Mon and Tues and largely dry, which is what I would expect in an Easterly here. This far West, we will probably be reliant on troughs and disturbances in the flow to see anything significant. Eastern parts of the region should do well though.

    I know they’re automated and change hourly sometimes but beeb and met going for light snow/snow showers pretty much continuously Saturday through Thursday here... 

    Edited by WillinGlossop
    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Stockport, South Manchester
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
  • Location: Stockport, South Manchester
    4 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

    I know they’re automated and change hourly sometimes but beeb and met going for light snow/snow showers pretty much continuously Saturday through Thursday here... 

    Same here 

    Screenshot_20210203-093519.png

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Clayton-le-Woods, Chorley, Lancs
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
  • Location: Clayton-le-Woods, Chorley, Lancs

    Not looking forward to the next 10 days. 

    If I lived Central or in the East i'd be like a kid on Christmas Eve. 

    Its painful to watch the whole country enjoy snow when nothing falls here. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

    Hope others get snow. 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Near Northwich, Cheshire, 75m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and stormy weather
  • Location: Near Northwich, Cheshire, 75m asl
    1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

    I know they’re automated and change hourly sometimes but beeb and met going for light snow/snow showers pretty much continuously Saturday through Thursday here... 

    Yeah, looking good for your location. Features will crop up at short notice and they'll likely be some surprises. Even if we don't get much, I'd take cold and dry over mild and damp/wet Atlantic dross any day of the week.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Sale, Cheshire
  • Location: Sale, Cheshire

    Let's see if this signal for a few days of snow flurries is maintained up to Friday... only then I can get on board. Up to then I reckon a few cold,dry frosty days will be the order of the day in my locale IMO.

    Screenshot_20210203-094221_Weather&Radar.jpg

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Halmer End - 172m/565ft
  • Location: Halmer End - 172m/565ft

    I am quite optimistic in our chances of snow. Yes, we won't compare to the east, they are going to get battered! But the air looks extremely unstable with low thicknesses so I reckon there might be a few organised fronts passing the country, or periods of snow popping up at last min, especially if the uppers get modelled downwards nearer the time (as what happens a lot).

    Even a few cm of blowing snow would be cool to see...but obviously I want more!! haha.

    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
  • Weather Preferences: All
  • Location: 150m asl Hadfield, Glossop Peak District
    5 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

    Not looking forward to the next 10 days. 

    If I lived Central or in the East i'd be like a kid on Christmas Eve. 

    Its painful to watch the whole country enjoy snow when nothing falls here. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

    Hope others get snow. 

    Normally,  I'd say it's 2 train rides away for you to get to Glossop but I can't condone you doing a non essential journey. 

    Yes we have a Tesco. M&S Food, Aldi and soon Lidl but I'm sure you have the equivalent in Chorley.

    Myself and @WillinGlossop will send you video updates as we struggle despairingley to cope.

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Manchester
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Ice days, clear skies, blizzards. Summer: cool and dry
  • Location: Manchester

    GEM P17 really wants to put us into the freezer next week. Most likely won't verify but it would defo break a lot of records.

    GEMP17EU00_168_5.thumb.png.32065865f240fb1d21faa08203f0e58f.png641934989_Screenshot2021-02-03094843.thumb.png.5bf00e964b9932ddcb2d4fa32b020cab.png

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
    16 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

    Same here 

    Screenshot_20210203-093519.png

    Don't take too much stock in these 

    3 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

    Normally,  I'd say it's 2 train rides away for you to get to Glossop but I can't condone you doing a non essential journey. 

    Yes we have a Tesco. M&S Food, Aldi and soon Lidl but I'm sure you have the equivalent in Chorley.

    Myself and @WillinGlossop will send you video updates as we struggle despairingley to cope.

    Even if Covid wasn't a factor have you seen how bad the trains get in these kind of easterlies. It might be two train rides to get there, gid knows how he's get back blockquote widget

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...