Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
15 minutes ago, GeordieX9v said:

Snow is notoriously hard to predict more than a day in advance mate I wouldn't worry. I would imagine any showers that do pop up in the north sea would have the chance to be thundery.

Pressure is also quite high in all of this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

Quick look at the ICON shows the precip is further SE on the 18Z compared to 12Z

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 21.07.46.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 21.07.36.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Quick look at the ICON shows the precip is further SE on the 18Z compared to 12Z

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 21.07.36.png

Doesn’t seem to show any shower activity inland which doesn’t seem plausible 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
Just now, rdt123 said:

Doesn’t seem to show any shower activity inland which doesn’t seem plausible 

I really wouldn't worry about that, from what I've read on this thread the ICON is not good at forecasting convection so if anything this probably an underestimate of precip. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Icon further south at 60 hours!!think might be time to forget bout the persistant snow and focus on shower activity instead!!expect gfs to go south as well!!

Brings an area of snow through the Midlands, as per the Met Office warnings and the UKV.

No-one seems to be paying any attention to that ?‍♂️ 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow
1 minute ago, AppleUK 123 said:

I've loved reading everything you've all said over the last few weeks (years even) but I'm so confused over all the different views.. From what I can see my location isn't looking good for Sunday with the dry spot.. What a hobbie to have crazy times ❄️??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Brings an area of snow through the Midlands, as per the Met Office warnings and the UKV.

No-one seems to be paying any attention to that ?‍♂️ 

Ecm showed a similar band of snow for saturday evening i think crossing west to east bringing 5 to 10cms but that was 00z not sure bout the 12z!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Candice Bartley said:

I've loved reading everything you've all said over the last few weeks (years even) but I'm so confused over all the different views.. From what I can see my location isn't looking good for Sunday with the dry spot.. What a hobbie to have crazy times ❄️??

That's the frontal shield, if whole setup was further South, it would be better, Icon though poor at convection, won't be dry in the NE

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I do hope that none of you have promised snow to your nearest and dearest ....... that a sure fire way of removing it from the outlook ......

Nope, only goes one way when you do that and it ain't white!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, Candice Bartley said:

I wouldn’t be worried, with an easterly like this you’re in the firing line...

I’m not expecting much from the 18z tonight, this situation is playing to the worst of the GFS, if the UKMO, GEM and ECM are on the page that they are on today tomorrow, I’ll be happy.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, AppleUK 123 said:

I really wouldn't worry about that, from what I've read on this thread the ICON is not good at forecasting convection so if anything this probably an underestimate of precip. 

Yeah I suppose in the last 15 years on the forums the main message has been get  the cold here and then see. All the 12z models show DP and 850s well into the territory of snow I think it’ll come down to the usual. Interestingly there are certain places that even within this region consistently do well 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

I wouldn’t be worried, with an easterly like this you’re in the firing line...

I’m not expecting much from the 18z tonight, this situation is playing to the worst of the GFS, if the UKMO, GEM and ECM are on the page that they are on today tomorrow, I’ll be happy.  

Yes, fully expecting the GFS to disgrace itself in the next hour and send us all to bed in a bad mood!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Johnp said:

Yes, fully expecting the GFS to disgrace itself in the next hour and send us all to bed in a bad mood!

As long as we are delighted again in the morning!  If Netweather had been around in the 60'/70's/80's, I wonder how many ups and downs there would have been in the run up to those classic cold spells? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Now that the system is one hammer hit from being nailed in it is just the fine tuning of the details. At this particular moment we can begin to trust the uppers and - 8 to - 10 across most of the UK is brilliant regarding snowfall throughout the day. 

gfsnh-1-108.thumb.png.fe50dea630d4c0955a36da21bd8edf68.png

Xander

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Even if a milder interlude does occur , upstream changes may well have us embarking on another drama soon after .

Oh gawd, we haven't got to go through this all again have we?!  On a more serious note, still plenty of opportunities following next week's spell even if it does become temporarily less cold.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I really wish we could ban precipitation charts in this thread!

Banning charts past day 7/8 would be nice too. What a relaxing place this would be!

• Like 3