Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowmaggedon said:

So we’ve figured out it’s bad for the South what about the rest of the UK? 

Much more difficult to tell based on 168hrs, thats probably why people are holding back commenting further north until more frames come out.

EDIT- snow to rain event probably looking at 192hrs, especially further west you are. Could be considerable snow before it turns though the further north you go.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Doesn’t look like it’s going under or over to me..flick between 144 & 168 and the low just stalls and shifts straight east a bit. If anything it will go through and give snow to the far north and Scotland.

plenty of time for it to adjust south though

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

An historic southern UK blizzard is in the making I reckon. With that much cold air in place fighting a fired up Atlantic and there is only one way it will end up!

spacer.png

Not with sw onshore winds....long way out but models are worrying at this stage. Feels like a 3-4 day cold snap (bar the north). Hope im wrong and the cold is stubborn to shift but feels like the atlantic will win out fairly quickly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
2 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

So we’ve figured out it’s bad for the South what about the rest of the UK? 

Shower distribution will change due to the change in wind direction. Battleground snow in other parts of the country

• Like 1

Posted

With a cold block, I think there is a good chance that the low will go under.

It's FI anyway - and will be different on the next runs. No cause for concern whatsoever.

D9328876-8DA7-40E5-855F-95F363FD3498.png

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Much more difficult to tell based on 168hrs, thats probably why people are holding back commenting further north until more frames come out.

EDIT- snow to rain event probably looking at 192hrs, especially further west you are. Could be considerable snow before it turns though the further north you go.

Still miles better than the GFS! still a SE'ly flow, so temps wouldn't think much above 1 degree away from the SW, 850's mild though

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Very interesting 168-192hrs evolution there.

Indeed the ECM is so cold at the surface still even at 192hrs that its giving quite a dangerous freezing rain event for the south.

Plnety of snowfall over the Midlands again on this run as it breaksdown:

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2021020400_216_4855_155.thumb.png.1eafafd83d9480f97b1b5cebbb89926a.png

Goes to show that even with what looks lie frankly very por 850hpa profile, with the winds staying just about SE and severe cold on the surface, we can get away with alot.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

A highly interesting ECM tonight. I stopped watching at 144 - there’s no point looking any further. Cold blocks are hard to nudge out the way.

Regarding any potential sliders, this will as ever need to be looked at. I’m not buying the evolution between 144 and 168 hrs. I do think there will be more of a clash in that - the word needs watching springs to mind.

Elsewhere, a mixed bag but I can now draw the conclusion that snow boots will indeed be needed as the weekend goes on...but for how long - well that’s impossible to say at this moment 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Another stonker @12z ecm.. 144 as should be in general.. but more so now @cut off point.. let’s av a gander at supporting dat @ens =eps !!!... @easterly incursion

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Very interesting 168-192hrs evolution there.

Indeed the ECM is so cold at the surface still even at 192hrs that its giving quite a dangerous freezing rain event for the south.

Plnety of snowfall over the Midlands again on this run as it breaksdown:

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2021020400_216_4855_155.thumb.png.1eafafd83d9480f97b1b5cebbb89926a.png

That’s the 00z too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

168hrs is different from the GFS but both are clearly bad for the south as there is a strong SW becoming established right at the back end of the front.

Will probably have more resistance further north. 

Probably a snow-rain event on this ECM run. North may hang on for a while longer.

Yes, but it won’t pan out like that will it?  

I’m suffering from model fatigue now, but we know from experience that when we get cold entrenched - which it will be now for sure - normal lows off the atlantic will correct south as we get closer to T0.  That’s not to say something weird won’t change the whole pattern - it did if I recall with the first BFTE in 2018 - but there is nothing like that showing on the models.  I think the lows will go under, just maybe not on this run...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

ECM doesn't disrupt enough through europe earlier on which allows heights to rebuild south. The low then slows because of this stopping the ridge we saw this morning.

The low coming to stop isn't what we want, we want it disrupt, elongate then go under to our south through europe. If it spins of west it just builds heights ahead if comes in like a bowling ball then we end up like the GFS.

Lots of snow (heh) to go under the bridge. But the idea of the models playing with a wedge north has increased today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*
8 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Not a chance it doesn't even look like a slider,this is looking more and more like a mini cold spell from sunday-wednesday.not even that severe in my oppinion,I think people have gone over the top

We have -8c 850hpa across most of the UK for over 72 hours from the east, that’s quite an event. And although most of the models do show the spell ending, that is over 144hrs away so there’s time for change especially when the UKMO is onboard for continuing the spell 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
27 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

image.thumb.png.278b2b03df1544a347297561d14e2501.pngimage.thumb.png.efb02ae29c56edc0bf28f332aa4d42d0.png 

Nice

Cant knock this at all really only IMBY is its not as good for a streamer setup as UKMO and GEM need the pattern south about 20-30 miles 

Edited by Kentspur