Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted

Yeah I don't think anyone wants the GFS compared to the GEM 12z run. That run gives several snow events working progresively further north.

Much better than the way the GFS deals with it which is to lift the whole complex up from the other side of the Atlantic. If we can get that LP closer that will give us more room for error.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
3 minutes ago, Tim M said:

Genuine question from a lurker with little knowledge but a strong interest... If, as everyone is saying/implying, the GFS is such a poor model for so many situations  (blowing up lows, too progressive with westerlies breaking through blocks etc), why are we all scrutinising it so much and so often so many times every day?   If the UKMO is really king surely that is all we should be concerned with?

More runs, 6 hour timeframes and running out to well past 10 days means it gets subject to a lot more scrutiny imo.   

To be honest my first recollection of seeing the potential of this weekend coming was on the GFS.. It modelled it relatively well until ironically the ECM finally got on board! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We have seen easterlies crumble at T72 . . .

But I don't think this will be one of those occasions. Looks like GFS has gone off one one.

If the ECM shows the same, I may start to get a little concerned.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Yeah I don't think anyone wants the GFS compared to the GEM 12z run. That run gives several snow events working progresively further north.

Much better than the way the GFS deals with it which is to lift the whole complex up from the other side of the Atlantic. If we can get that LP closer that will give us more room for error.

KW have you had a look at the GFS 0.25 view .

What do you think . It’s making a meal of that shortwave in the Channel.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I said Borderline ...at the end there are only a couple (out of 34) as mild ...

D75C930D-7310-4986-A0D4-FE13E986BB49.jpeg

I guess, I’m probably just being facetious just when I see the term Outlier I think something that’s totally out of sync with the rest of the suite. Certainly towards the top end, those ensembles are basically about as useful as a chocolate fireguard anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

But I don't think this will be one of those occasions. Looks like GFS has gone off one one.

Aye, and I can still recall several such occasions, from the 1960s. Just because the zeitgeist implies cold, it doesn't  mean that cold is 'nailed on'. Although, in this case, I suspect (HOPE) that it is!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
34 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GEM gets off to a very good start at T96:

83A3F510-546E-4154-8C52-2383AFA7EAD6.thumb.png.4b61cb3aeed3ae86468ba34c1515dea1.png483A902A-62EA-4CEB-B43A-474A7764378F.thumb.png.b7f3be014f789b568a733172873ae2d5.png

-16C line not that far away, really!

Perhaps GFS meant to put colder uppers rather than milder uppers over Kent -12c there over East Kent!

Posted
Just now, That ECM said:

Three course with seconds.

I’m calling it the hump of doom . The others have that clean flow , you can see that hump sitting in the Channel where the shortwave energy is .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS 12z only one run. There will be no doubt subtle changes in either direction between now and the weekend. Keeping us all occupied though!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
9 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Day 10 on the GEM and most of the us is buried, still under cold air and still some snow around. Hope ECM follows suit! 

A07C2CBB-FF51-443C-9FCF-A372D6E43A61.png

Gem really was a Gem , excellent run

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
10 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

If the ECM shows the same I'm starting on the wine early tonight !

• Like 3

Posted

Another thing to note is the ukmo and ecm have a bit more amplification around eastern states at 144 hours which helps disrupt the trough a bit more!!the gfs is much flatter for the same time period!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
4 minutes ago, haywood1982 said:

What time should we expect the ECM

from 6pm

Posted
17 minutes ago, Tim M said:

Genuine question from a lurker with little knowledge but a strong interest... If, as everyone is saying/implying, the GFS is such a poor model for so many situations  (blowing up lows, too progressive with westerlies breaking through blocks etc), why are we all scrutinising it so much and so often so many times every day?   If the UKMO is really king surely that is all we should be concerned with?

Valid point. In fairness to the GFS, it was very early to signaling this easterly, so must get points for that. Sure, it has a habit of being over progressive on the atlantic lows, but even if that's the case at this moment, there is still the very real threat of the atlantic cutting off the cold air for most from days 8-9. But let's not worry about that yet, and enjoy what's coming up !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, Man Without Beard said:

Updated my forecast from yesterday based on last 24 hours of runs. Taken into account small shifts on ECM and GFS in the nearer timeframe, with a wider area of snow possible on Sunday - decided not to be swayed by the GFS's very progressive take on the midweek front...

1944067903_Forecast7-11Feb.thumb.jpg.243761ec3c524d265287841a1219432b.jpg

Mwb:we know the gfs crave for mobile conveniences..and fold and revert... again as per last post.. when the easterly engages at the surface... the models will reflect....

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, MJB said:

Gem really was a Gem , excellent run

Only 0.5 to 1cm for most of the South on that run, but yes good for cold