Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Yep upgrade on the mean . 

18z mean -3B97D64C-F49F-4A39-9D50-7F0BF157D852.thumb.png.6b07f1ca2cc91fbf965c30258c1fb775.png

12z meanF9CD8BBD-E201-4185-ADD0-794B717E6D13.thumb.png.eea59743d5a92e78d429d00ba54d38ba.png

Mean and support are on que for the op..it just keeps giving

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
15 minutes ago, DCee said:

If that monster low can slide it'll bring the house down. Just need some lower heights in Iberia and voila you've got winter wonderland for a good while.

I can’t read the thread fast enough at the moment. I’m not sure if you have backtracked on the ‘writing on the wall’ post about the GFS yet? Follow the UKMO in these set ups, usually right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Anyone seen the control more amplified across the west of us

Yes, a strong ridge being thrown up west of Ireland could be the key to blocking off the atlantic. 

Edited by Johnp
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

The GEFS 18z ensemble mean is rock solid out to t132 with sub -8C uppers covering the majority of the country!

6A77D3D3-F912-4002-95BA-5995686172BF.thumb.png.852268722537a55beb6e27cbe993d365.pngB07D7A5E-88CD-4949-926E-A823DA44FC14.thumb.png.4e4009a002d2957a619e0545995f5119.png

What would be the night time minima during this period? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The latest gefs ens get the mean below -10 here,i am going to put the beers outside this weekend

ens_image.thumb.png.d2f80c6e0b5b3834e31621f380444d52.png

London is nae bad either getting down to -8.

1540233651_ens_image(1).thumb.png.0fb0789048ceff1bc52efeeabf7d8138.png

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

The breakdown is there in the modelling- perfectly fine to talk about IMO. If we can speculate on cold showing 7 days out then we can discuss a potential breakdown!

Not to mention, the breakdown period could be the west's best chance at something appreciable from this spell.

Of course the breakdown is showing as the models have been showing phantom Greenland high for next week and still showing downgraded heights there 100hr+

Met office never mention heights next week to the north west i.e no Greenland heights.

Met office mention height rises to north and it being dry apart from snow showers in east

Expect over next few runs that higher pressure over Greenland to disappear and be replaced by wedges of heights between Iceland and Scotland just strong enough to send the approaching lows into France.

The increased heights over UK limiting convection.

• Like 4

Posted

The models now all in full agreement of much colder weather spreading south through whole UK this weekend.

As ever who will see snow, who will see the heaviest will be a case of now casting.

At this range no point pinpointing the detail.

Best just sitting back and letting things take its course.

Alas we have 3 more days of speculation to go, save your energy and sit back I say...

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
1 hour ago, MJB said:

01:00 Sunday morning snow becoming more widespread

image.thumb.png.54163edc33456b3787256749a007156c.png

Eh? That shows a lot of rain for many areas snow restricted to the north

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Johnp said:

What will that mean on the ground? Bigger, less powdery snow flakes?

In answer to this question, I think it means convection won't be as strong as one might think. The PPN charts sort of confirms this. This is for Sunday btw. into next week, thicknesses do drop so that should mean a more unstable flow. 

Sunday does have heavier PPN over Easst Anglia but that is a frontal system and not showers. That said, even though Sunday looks like it might have higher thicknesses so less convection, anything that falls should be of snow so accumulations should still occur. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
4 minutes ago, pages said:

Of course the breakdown is showing as the models have been showing phantom Greenland high for next week and still showing downgraded heights there 100hr+

Met office never mention heights next week to the north west i.e no Greenland heights.

Met office mention height rises to north and it being dry apart from snow showers in east

Expect over next few runs that higher pressure over Greenland to disappear and be replaced by wedges of heights between Iceland and Scotland just strong enough to send the approaching lows into France.

The increased heights over UK limiting convection.

Something akin to the control run on the 18z

T180

EBA2E62D-EB9F-42EA-8991-BC6771D371A4.png

9D150A3B-AFB9-425C-850B-0ECB1373498A.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Eh? That shows a lot of rain for many areas snow restricted to the north

Becoming I said , not totally ..............you are virtually in France anyhow lol

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Good runs on the 18z.  But I’m jaffa cakesed off. Businesses that know about this should be taking action, re both the weather and the coronavirus.  Are they?  In the case of the business I work for, NO!!

Edit, forgot about the Jaffa Cakes lol!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, pyrotech said:

What would be useful on here is some valid analysis on the heights to our North and the effect on Jet stream (including USA storm) and how the models are changing them. The MJO with lag is perfect for a more blocked pattern, for me it must be the contrast in temp  coming from USA that is causing the changes predicted, but are they likely or over cooked.

A good post pyrotech.  Do you think it's a case of the favourable MJO vs a strong jet stream courtesy of brutal cold coming out of the USA and seeing which gains the upper hand moving forward?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Short ENS pretty solid for cold!

image.thumb.png.e8198259bc48491964e90fe8cddaf53f.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 6