Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
Just now, Penicuikblizzard said:

There is a Easterly in the North, there will be plenty snow in the NE going by those charts 

Short lived affair however. By next wednesday you have mild air heading north.

The further south east low those lows are the longer we stay in an Easterly feed. Plain and simple.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
1 hour ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Well, you might find learning material in the "Learning & research" section here on Netweather.

About the terms you mention, in short:

- An Op = Det = Operational: This is the main run of a model. It is run at the highest resolution, so the atmosphere is divided up in smaller blocks. This gives these runs finer detail, they are less likely to miss nuances that might be important later on.

- The mean is the mean of the ensemble runs. These are a number of extra runs, apart from the Operational runs. These are at a lower resolution, so the supercomputers can handle more of them in a short term.
It includes the control run which has the same starting data input as the operational (but run on that lower resolution) and a number of perturbations (P1, P2, P3 etc) or members that have slightly altered input at the start, so we can see if the starting data has much influence on the outcome or not.

- The EC or ECM is the model that is run by the ECMWF (European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts).
- The UKMO is run by the UK Met Office
- GFS (Global Forecast System) is run by the American NOAA-NCEP
- GFS parallel (GFS //) is the newest update for GFS, that is being tested alongside the old one.
- The GEM is Canadian.

@Cold Winter Night you are a star! Thank you so much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
5 minutes ago, danm said:

So where are we so far?

GFS - still not great, but small steps in the right direction in the short term.

UKMO - excellent, again.

ICON - Very good.

GEM - sensational.

ARPEGE - excellent.

Let's see what the ECM has to say in a couple of hours. 

*Added Arpege, which came out just after ICON.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

image.thumb.png.5537f06d3368a099086e78e6468383a8.pngimage.thumb.png.f70fbca417f4bab576c3eeb35c9cb96e.png 

FWIW the GEM 12z suggests that 850s may not be as low as one might think for snow showers making it well inland off the North Sea - the relatively low sea level pressure, compared to many easterlies, may do the trick for the south with 850s around -8°C, maybe even a tad higher.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I find that anything East of the UK and modelling over the continent, the GFS can be woeful. It’s much better at forecasting the Atlantic behaviour. With a forecast so volatile and unorthodox, its inevitable that there is swings and bizarre runs happening! 

• Like 2

Posted

Let's wait and see that the ECM is showing later..if is still there from this mornings runs then the chances increase massively and if it's still showing the same in the morning then is almost certain! Also the GEM is a beauty UKMO remains pretty decent also!

Midlands north event by the look of things, 12z is continuing the new trend away from the cold easterly (more for the south as things stand).

Lots of rain following behind with a an awful SW flow.

I expect the ECM and UKMO will follow the GFS soon. 

Posted
1 minute ago, DCee said:

Midlands north event by the look of things, 12z is continuing the new trend away from the cold easterly (more for the south as things stand).

Well I sort of agree with you here it doesn't look particularly prolonged but Sunday through to Wednesday could be very cold,but at the moment more especially for the North country.having said that if the ECM and UKMO remain like this then would be hard to bet against a proper nationwide freeze up

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
3 minutes ago, DCee said:

Only if you think the GFS Op is correct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Help me out kris - how do the uppers match the thickness ??  Never seen this before ?? 

Trying to figure that one out myself Nick - given the flow on the +144 chart we must be missing something between +120 and +144 to end up with those 850mb temps. I'm not complaining about it, but was a bit of a head scratcher.

I think Nick S is right in as much as on this particular run the +168 chart would show trough disruption - but it's a far less comfortable scenario for many south of the Humber to be faced with (vs what was previously modelled), particularly given we don't get the very coldest air fully across the UK and certainly into much of France before we see the attempted Atlantic intrusion.

Anyway all too much detail for +144 given the current levels of entropy. But still we wait for some consistency

• Like 1