Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Uxbridge
  • Location: Uxbridge

    Well I have been watching the weather from my window as I was painting today and it went from lovely sunshine to wet and wind getting up , still not feeling cold as yet 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    I suppose not really weather related but I just wanted to say thank you all so much.  I've really really enjoyed following the posts today.  I am awaiting Open Heart Surgery sometime this year and you

    Oh my f**king god. How many times does it need saying? 1. The amber doesn't expire until tomorrow midday 2. Widespread heavy showers & streamers are going to follow later, tonight,

    Evening. Here's my estimated #snow depths for England and Wales that I expect until noon on Monday, using a blend of high resolution models.

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Harrow (Fulwood), London, (Sheffield)
  • Location: Harrow (Fulwood), London, (Sheffield)
    9 hours ago, lassie23 said:

    We have had a foot of snow before from an easterly in NW London. Obviously Kent and eastern most counties do best.

    Thanks! What year was that?

    I see many are worried about snow prospects for the weekend / early next. I've always been of the view get the cold in first and the snow will come. Having had so many lets downs in my 15 years on Net-weather I no longer let model upgrades / downgrades get to me. I'm thinking I may have jinxed our prospects next week though having held off buying new garden perennials...

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: SE London
  • Location: SE London
    1 minute ago, Snowflake Queen said:

    Well I have been watching the weather from my window as I was painting today and it went from lovely sunshine to wet and wind getting up , still not feeling cold as yet 

    painting has never got me wet and windy, a bit of paint splashes maybe but nothing much more than that 😛 😄 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Uxbridge
  • Location: Uxbridge
    Just now, MAF said:

    painting has never got me wet and windy, a bit of paint splashes maybe but nothing much more than that 😛 😄 

    This isn’t the 3 word forum 😂 and actually I only managed to get one blob of gloss on me ! But when that sunshine was blazing through I stoped painting and embraced them rays !! 

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Norfolk
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/ hot not mild muck!
  • Location: South Norfolk
    9 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

    I'll try and get on with that Mick.

    I had a Stroke 5 Years ago, and my eyesight still isn't that great.

    Regards,

    Tom. 👍

    It doesn’t mater if you write in capitals, italics or bright red. It’s the contents of what is written that maters. I get the crack I am a neuro specialist nurse,I also have dyslexia. Communication is the key to everything. Sorry, I don’t ever post but had to say that. I love the vibe in this forum winter, spring, summer, and autumn.

    On to the weather let’s hope for that southward movement in the next 48hrs so we can all get the lift we need with a little snow.

    • Like 6
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dereham, Norfolk
  • Location: Dereham, Norfolk

    Not sure i can see a “beast” coming at the weekend but a short cold snap is more then likely. not expecting blizzards or historic cold, i may have ruined our chances by mentioning the synoptics to a friend two days ago!

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NW LONDON
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
  • Location: NW LONDON

    I believe the beast will come....

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Liphook
  • Location: Liphook

    I think for this region its looking more likely that we will be cold over the weekend, becoming colder Sunday-Tuesday at least but I think there will probably only be scattered showers in our neck of the woods, as I think the ECM has got the position of the low more or less right. I do think there will be weak troughs rotating around from the N/NW around the LP's western side which may give dusting opertunities.

    IF we can get the cold down into our region though we would be primed for any attempts from the SW down the line. That may end up being the best chance should the low pressure core develop a little too far north.

    This is a very close call though, there will not be much distance mileage wise between 30cms and 1cm in this type of set-up.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ely, Cambridgeshire
  • Location: Ely, Cambridgeshire

    Absolutely nothing ‘nailed on’ for Midlands South yet from Sunday onwards - the lows are causing issues and there’s now as much chance of a milder wet and windy spell as there is an easterly. Disappointing how it’s gone, but there is hope. I have no faith in what the meto or beeb say though - they always seem behind on the latest model developments. Still a lot to play for mind but notable cold spell diminishing and being watered down, unless your in the hills up North. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Norfolk, UK
  • Location: South Norfolk, UK
    4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

    I think for this region its looking more likely that we will be cold over the weekend, becoming colder Sunday-Tuesday at least but I think there will probably only be scattered showers in our neck of the woods, as I think the ECM has got the position of the low more or less right. I do think there will be weak troughs rotating around from the N/NW around the LP's western side which may give dusting opertunities.

    IF we can get the cold down into our region though we would be primed for any attempts from the SW down the line. That may end up being the best chance should the low pressure core develop a little too far north.

    This is a very close call though, there will not be much distance mileage wise between 30cms and 1cm in this type of set-up.

    If we take North Norfolk compared to South Kent, do you think its the same across the board or will us "northerners" get something? 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Liphook
  • Location: Liphook
    1 minute ago, Snowflake Queen said:

    If I can’t have snow can I have some sun please 

    Believe it or not the 12z ECM actually has decent periods of sunshine on Sunday, not wall to wall but it'd make for a cold but nice winters day.

    Whilst the northerners get utterly smashed.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Uxbridge
  • Location: Uxbridge
    Just now, kold weather said:

    Believe it or not the 12z ECM actually has decent periods of sunshine on Sunday, not wall to wall but it'd make for a cold but nice winters day.

    Whilst the northerners get utterly smashed.

    I love the snow as you may well know , I used to post here all the time a few years back , I would be up all night at the slightest sniff of snow and lamp post watch , these days I get so disappointed as snow seems less and less each year , I am also a sun worshiper so any sunshine and I’m there but do prefer it to be wall to wall blazing hot sunshine ☀️ 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Peterborough
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
  • Location: Peterborough

    I wouldn’t give up hope just yet. It would only take some small adjustments to bring us back into the snow zone. We are probably talking a less than 100 mile shift south east with that low to pull in that frigid north easterly. I will certainly wait for the morning suite before really worrying there are still models and ensembles good enough for the whole region.

    On the other hand I better start searching good recipes for meals involving hats.....

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rotherhithe, 5.8M ASL
  • Location: Rotherhithe, 5.8M ASL
    10 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

    Absolutely nothing ‘nailed on’ for Midlands South yet from Sunday onwards - the lows are causing issues and there’s now as much chance of a milder wet and windy spell as there is an easterly. Disappointing how it’s gone, but there is hope. I have no faith in what the meto or beeb say though - they always seem behind on the latest model developments. Still a lot to play for mind but notable cold spell diminishing and being watered down, unless your in the hills up North. 

    That’s simply untrue.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Uxbridge
  • Location: Uxbridge
    Just now, Captain Shortwave said:

    I wouldn’t give up hope just yet. It would only take some small adjustments to bring us back into the snow zone. We are probably talking a less than 100 mile shift south east with that low to pull in that frigid north easterly. I will certainly wait for the morning suite before really worrying there are still models and ensembles good enough for the whole region.

    On the other hand I better start searching good recipes for meals involving hats.....

    Iol , usually between late feb to April is our snowy time these days? 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Liphook
  • Location: Liphook
    6 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

    I love the snow as you may well know , I used to post here all the time a few years back , I would be up all night at the slightest sniff of snow and lamp post watch , these days I get so disappointed as snow seems less and less each year , I am also a sun worshiper so any sunshine and I’m there but do prefer it to be wall to wall blazing hot sunshine ☀️ 

    We've been quite lucky in regards to heat in recent years down here, which I suppose does make up for the lack of snow if thats your thing.

    I admit I'm an extreme weather fan. So I'm not 100% wedded to snow and cold, for example a powerful storm, or a very high end heatwave will also get me very much invested, as I was during the last heatwave back in early August.

    I doubt we are going to get that lucky again though for a 4th year in a row....got a gut feeling this might be one of those stinkers coming up!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hull,East Yorkshire
  • Location: Hull,East Yorkshire
    10 minutes ago, kold weather said:

    Believe it or not the 12z ECM actually has decent periods of sunshine on Sunday, not wall to wall but it'd make for a cold but nice winters day.

    Whilst the northerners get utterly smashed.

    Popped in from Yorkshire thread.... not all of us up North get snow smashed, 2010 since I saw lying snow! Bit marginal on the coast. Hope you all get to see some snow. Good luck 

    • Like 7
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Uxbridge
  • Location: Uxbridge
    Just now, kold weather said:

    We've been quite lucky in regards to heat in recent years down here, which I suppose does make up for the lack of snow if thats your thing.

    I admit I'm an extreme weather fan. So I'm not 100% wedded to snow and cold, for example a powerful storm, or a very high end heatwave will also get me very much invested, as I was during the last heatwave back in early August.

    I doubt we are going to get that lucky again though for a 4th year in a row....got a gut feeling this might be one of those stinkers coming up!

    I’m with you there , I love the extreme heat .. getting ok with thunderstorms now we are becoming aquatinted lol as before I would literally hide from them! The heat in aug was great but I was mostly at work and in a nursing home the heating is on all year ☀️😢 but we wasn’t allowed the fans on either 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Redbourn,Herts AL3. 122M ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Feb 2018 Easterly
  • Location: Redbourn,Herts AL3. 122M ASL

    Well personally I would not write off any snow event at all with what's happening. As the captain said slightest adjustment.. Big differences..however tartan hat recipe was a confusing taste bud moment. On a serious note we still have time to get something substantial.. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hailsham, East Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
  • Location: Hailsham, East Sussex

    I’ll try a bit of reverse psychology. Given we know that there’s zero chance the outcome in a weeks time will be exactly like it shows on the models, would we really want to be in the jackpot zone right now? Plenty of twists and turns to come I suspect. The main thing is to get the cold in and, ideally keep it in for a while.

    On that note, one thing that intrigues me is that whilst most models seem to want to end the spell after a few days the MO seem pretty confident the cold lasts right through the month. May mean any attacks from the SW struggle to make progress or get diverted south? A channel low would be nice IMBY. Not sure I’ve ever experienced a proper one.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Liphook
  • Location: Liphook
    5 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

     May mean any attacks from the SW struggle to make progress or get diverted south? A channel low would be nice IMBY. Not sure I’ve ever experienced a proper one.

    The closest I've come was early December 2010.

    That was an odd one though because it effectively was a reverse channel low, in that it came from Belgium and swept westwards upto about the IoW longitude and then dug near due south.

    Still gave a very surprising fall of snow, ended up with 9 inches down in Chichester, which considering the models were only going for 2-3 inches there was a heck of a result. Snowed from about 9.30pm to around 2am. Great event.

    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Peterborough
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
  • Location: Peterborough

    Weekend fax charts

    Saturday

    image.thumb.gif.df8c28ba47f6a7e0c6597ab289750c4f.gif

    Cyclonic and quite cold with the 528dam line over southern England. Probably a lot of cloud and some rain that may turn wintry as the day goes on.

    Sunday

    image.thumb.gif.4be57452f4fca9ffb715f6a04575e75b.gif
    At the moment it looks pretty slack with the same front wrapped around the region. However the chart shows this as a decayed feature so likely to just leave a legacy of cloud. That biting easterly is probably as far south as Lincolnshire at this point with that train of precipitation still piling into the north east.

    Hopefully the Sunday chart will improve in future suites.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rayleigh, Essex. 68m asl
  • Location: Rayleigh, Essex. 68m asl

    Crikey Kold. You sure know how to pi$$ on a chaps chips. But I know from old that you tend to be right so I’ve chucked the sledge to the farthest part of the garage. Roll on spring. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...