Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
27 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

I've just been out and bought a garden floodlight so I can lamppost watch from the back room, otherwise I get up and down every few minutes to look out the front!

Old skool! Love it.

I have wonderful childhood memories of turning the outside light on to snow check with my dad.

Back and forth like a fiddler's elbow.

The excitement to turn that light on and find those Goose feathers flying past.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Weather Wonder said:

A3915210-FBBA-4487-A15D-F3C713168AD5.jpeg

FCFB4A31-E8DE-45BA-B22C-AED9D7B1FD32.jpeg

I am just around the corner from you near Bramley. I wonder if we will be too far sw? Met office app has changed so many time for me lol. Has no snow for me now apart from light stuff Sun night. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

A little further north and west, hmmm. 

Surely there's potential for it to wander in any direction from the forecast 'a little'?! 

Maybe just a hedge, as any other movement won't affect land? 

Copied from the mod thread, seems to be a trend in the latest outputs.

1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

ICON-EU 09z a touch further NW than its 06z run, only up to T30 though.

T30.thumb.png.ad673ec3a494cb1d644700a6ed3ec138.png716909932_T306z.thumb.png.4010c751795dea01073acb46d967cfed.png

• Thanks 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, NYCSnow said:

Absolutely no idea what to expect overnight and early Sunday here in far south west London. As always, right on the edge of the main areas so could go either way. A long night ahead I think!

Agreed. Each snow map I look at puts us right on the edge in Surbiton so it's difficult to get excited about it for now. As @Mark wheeler said last night, our hopes are more from the potential Thames Streamer overnight Sunday to Monday IF one sets up. We could do very well should that come off.

A grey cool day here. What a difference 24 hours is about to make! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Might try and attempt one of those hyper lapse video things tonight - want to get the transition from rain to snow so thinking 2.45am don't want to be recording for hours before hand. Do u think thats about right time to start?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

I've seen American videos where the weather goes from 25c and sunny to -1c and snow and the snow settles pretty much right away.

I know you could argue the air is colder out there, but the fact remains, if it can settle on surface temperature that have been elevated that high within literally minutes, it won't have too much problem with a surface that is running at 4-6c!

I remember many, many years ago in 1995 me and my family were in the US on holiday. Staying in Flagstaff, Arizona for a couple of nights while we visited the Grand Canyon nearby. It was mid March, and when we arrived into Flagstaff it was springlike - probably around 18-20c. The next day rain pushed in and within minutes it turned to heavy snow and several inches settled within a couple of hours. A proper continental switch over. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
8 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Just out on the downs - looking forward to it resembling the Alps tomorrow hopefully! 

Seen a few people dusting off sledges in their open garages

Our local bike shop sold 50 sledges today. My three haven't seen action for quite a while so fingers crossed!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Amanzi said:

I am just around the corner from you near Bramley. I wonder if we will be too far sw? Met office app has changed so many time for me lol. Has no snow for me now apart from light stuff Sun night. 

Am actually nearer to Bramley  than Guildford just put that in for snow reports (easier to visualise on a map).

I think our best hope here for anything significant is a Thames streamer which won’t show up on the apps until the last minute.

Edited by Weather Wonder
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Top story on BBC news website about the upcoming cold spell seems to be downplaying the temperatures a bit IMO..

They say "not as cold as the BFTE" and "struggle to get a few degrees above 0" well we could be subzero all week (and potentially beyond). London only had 3 ice days during the BFTE.  Where snow falls and conditions are right, max temps will be well below 0. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Top story on BBC news website about the upcoming cold spell seems to be downplaying the temperatures a bit IMO..

They say "not as cold as the BFTE" and "struggle to get a few degrees above 0" well we could be subzero all week (and potentially beyond). London only had 3 ice days during the BFTE.  Where snow falls and conditions are right, max temps will be well below 0. 

I’ve heard them say this but my view is that while 850 temps are not quite as cold as 2018, this spell is 3 weeks earlier than that was which will help with lower solar energy, slightly longer nights etc. Many places may struggle to get above zero all week. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

I assume there must be a directive within the BBC to overegg temperature? Because they always seem to do it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, spear said:

Rain is hammering down here atm. Think I'll stay inside today. 

Met Orifice app has pushed the transition to snow back from midnight to 2am for here. Our lamposts go off around midnight so I'm hoping the flakes will be large enough to set the outside light off so I can see what's going on . 

Ps, I won't believe it's happening until I see it with my own eyes! 

You guys over the border look like you'll do better than us down here. Enjoy! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
5 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

We only got 2 inches snowfall from the BFTE which we also got two weeks ago and that also lasted on the ground for longer!

I think the BFTE will be forgotten about after the snowfall from this cold spell shows up!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

These north and west shifts can sod off lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Just seen MO latest radar projection on twitter does show it more north then 6 hours ago, still plenty time go either way..

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowrye said:

These north and west shifts can sod off lol

Why? The east of the region will still be under the snow even if there are small corrections north and west. This band of snow extends all the way out into the Low Countries and northern Germany. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, danm said:

Why? The east of the region will still be under the snow even if there are small corrections north and west. This band of snow extends all the way out into the Low Countries and northern Germany. 

exatly lol its all good news! 

Posted

Well I'm still none the wiser!

Some runs shift the front a little further north-west others more south-east. Some give good convection potential, others don't.

The apps are shifting fairly wildly too. Sometimes with heavy snow overnight, sometimes with constant showers through the day.

I think I've settled into an 'expect little, hope for more' for now. When my friends have been asking I've been giving my 90% interval as 2cm to 10cm by 00:01 Monday. 

• Like 2