Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

I am like a little child waiting for Xmas, "how many sleeps?" until it arrives. really feeling nervous that it's still a possible 48 hours away until we get into proper snowfall here in SE18. but still not believing it until i see it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW SNOW SNOW

Looking at the models it seems East of Reading maybe on the edge of the front from the East, if it shifts 30 miles north and 30 miles west on the day might get a decent 5cm plus of snow, I think this will go down to radar watch.

D353EF66-1859-4C35-89CA-1F338F12C785.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

I’m not very good at looking at what’s coming basic at best lol Can anyone give me there opinions on my area for Sunday and Monday ? 

many thanks guys

Posted
1 hour ago, Ice Day said:

And I can absolutely back Paul up with this. I was living in Southend at the time and we had close to 2 level feet of snow. The easterly was blowing for 5-6 days solid and the drifting was just insane, particularly around hedgerows at the edge of fields. The number 1 event for me by a country mile 

My grandma lived in Leigh on sea and her porch collapsed (corrugated plastic roof) under the weight of snow in January 1987.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

I would think there will be many villages and towns cut off across the region. You don't need much snow around here as it blows off the fields and fills the roads. Fields are higher than the roads. 

I'm west of the Amber warning zone so not getting my hopes up too much. Got to get lucky with the showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
46 minutes ago, john mac1 said:

I saw that! 

Is that aimed at the se though, as looking at radar, they might be upping the warning up north.

Posted

How do you dial right into the met office warning areas, ie so you can see the towns

Thanks 

Posted
2 minutes ago, XLNC said:

Looking at the models it seems East of Reading maybe on the edge of the front from the East, if it shifts 30 miles north and 30 miles west on the day might get a decent 5cm plus of snow, I think this will go down to radar watch.

D353EF66-1859-4C35-89CA-1F338F12C785.jpeg

All depends on which model is more accurate.

The UKV is pretty close to the most westerly solution. Quite a few are further east and give basically nothing for people as far west as you and I are.

My gut feeling is the type of snow that may fall for us out here will be that very light stuff that doesn't really amount to much, but falls for quite some time. I suppose snizzle might be the way to describe it, with maybe the odd heavier bit embedded? Either way it gets blown around all over the place perhaps into little tiny drifts? Hopefully towards the evening the showers take over as the main source of precip which will at least give a chance of heavier stuff coming our way, if they can survive long enough.

It will 100% be a nowcasting situation though and I'm confident yet to rule out something more substantial for us further west. I think the east is pretty much locked in for at least constant snow showers.

Posted

So just a day and a few hours from S-Day.  Just like a general election, we have (silently) been touring the MAD thread to see what lies in wait, but as we approach S-Day we return to our constituencies. Will I retain Rayleigh (get snow ?), will Paul S hold Leigh, will Snowman and Southender hold Southend West and East ?  All to be revealed in the coming hours. 

The opinion polls say it’s a snow win.  Let’s hope they are right. 

I hope all the snow folks get home. Enjoy if you get it folks

Edited by Vesuvius
  • Like 9

Posted

Models looking pretty good this evening for most of our region. Hopefully UKV has this right and members in more western counties will get in on the action too!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
24 minutes ago, Snow Gazer said:

Just seen on Twitter that Dan Holley is speculating that the big news that is about to break (reference that tweet about news coming out in the hour) is possibly a named storm from the Dutch (KNMI whatever that is)...no idea what this means? Is that going to be good for us?

It just means our weather gets a name. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, heat aka summer + snow
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

It just means our weather gets a name. 

So pointless then?

Posted
3 minutes ago, TomLO04 said:

So pointless then?

The Dutch have presumably given the low a name because they see it as having a major impact on their weather.  The name changes nothing physically but allows the media to refer to it.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Downpour said:

Models looking pretty good this evening for most of our region. Hopefully UKV has this right and members in more western counties will get in on the action too!

I'm not convinced to be honest after todays trends and runs, at least for Sunday daytime, this far west. Anything could happen after that still mind you.

I think actually out here in the west ice will be a far bigger problem to be honest, given rain and perhaps a light covering of snow on Saturday night is probably going to freeze up as the day goes on and into the evening hours on Sunday. Eventually it will sublimate away (as will any light covering from Sunday) so hopefully that will ease as a problem as the week goes along.

Then all down to the streamers. Monday night tentatively looks interesting, and maybe could be a little snow shower activity on Sunday night as the winds shift from E through towards NE for Monday (then turning back ENE on Monday evening).

EDIT - with temperatures of 1-2c locally any light snow that does fall in my region is going to melt before it has a chance of accumulating at such a light level as expected. 

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
34 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Indeed - given the hype here, it will presumably be frozen by then!

Very true back in January people were practically booking tickets for Thames frost fayres after one ECM run !

Posted
1 minute ago, Dr cat said:

That snow looks more north and west? Or just me?

It is because the UKMO is the most NW of the models now in terms of the heavier stuff, which is obviously what the UKMO use.

I expect it to fall inline with the rest of the models for further west tomorrow morning.

Still very snowy for the east of the region regardless. 

I wonder whether someone could compile a list of webcams from some N/Kent/S.Essex locations?

So us who are further west can live the event through the webcams!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1